English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SERGIO MARTINEZ Predicts KO of Cotto, Round Nine Or Earlier

SERGIO MARTINEZ Predicts KO of Cotto, Round Nine Or Earlier

Sergio Martinez Write-up/Blog
    Part 1: Tuesday, May 13
    Question To Sergio Martinez - You have been waiting to face Cotto for almost 4 years. Why do you think he wants to fight you now?
    A: Miguel Cotto believes that I am ripe for the picking and that my age has finally caught with me. What he doesn’t realize is that for the Martin Murray fight, I had many injuries going into the fight. I did not want to postpone the event because it was always a dream of mine to defend my title in Argentina so we as a team decided to go forward with the fight with Martin Murray. I still came out victorious in that fight but Miguel Cotto thinks I’m on the decline, which is the only reason I believe he chose to face me now.
    What Miguel Cotto doesn’t realize that is I am extremely motivated for this fight. Not just because I don’t necessarily care for Miguel Cotto, but I want to prove him wrong in thinking that I’m not an elite fighter. Miguel Cotto is a good fighter and a future hall of famer, but he will not become the World Middleweight Champion by defeating me. The only way I see this fight ending, is with Miguel Cotto being knocked out. I cannot see the fight going past nine rounds.
    Face Off: Cotto/Martinez debuts Saturday, May 17 at 12:30 a.m. ET/PT on HBO.
    “2 Days: Sergio Martinez” premieres Saturday, May 24 at 11:00 p.m. ET/PT on HBO.
    HBO’s Emmy-Award-winning series “24/7 Cotto/Martinez” premieres Saturday, May 31 at 11:15 p.m. ET/PT on HBO.
    Cotto vs. Martinez happens Saturday, June 7 live on pay-per-view beginning at 9:00 p.m. ET/6:00 p.m. PT.

Re: SERGIO MARTINEZ Predicts KO of Cotto, Round Nine Or Earlier

I can see Martinez stopping Cotto, but only if the champion is at his best. He's been injured and he's been off for an extended time. Yet, I feel if Austin Trout was able to outpoint Cotto, Martinez will do at least that--and maybe more. It would not surprise me to see Martinez bust up Cotto's face and TKO him late.

-Randy G.

Quote Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
    I can see Martinez stopping Cotto, but only if the champion is at his best. He's been injured and he's been off for an extended time. Yet, I feel if Austin Trout was able to outpoint Cotto, Martinez will do at least that--and maybe more. It would not surprise me to see Martinez bust up Cotto's face and TKO him late.

-Randy G.
    I agree, I like Martinez in this fight. I think too many people got down on him after the Murray fight. That fight took place outdoors in a driving rain storm in which Martinez couldn't plant his feet and also he never fully recovered from the surgery following the Chavez fight. He has allowed proper time now to recover and his body will be much closer to 100% than it was his previous time out. The Trout fight is telling for Cotto, he does have problems with fighters who use lateral movement to control range from the outside. I think Martinez wins and late TKO is very possible for Martinez.

Cotto would fight Klitschko for another big payday.

The Cotto name is one the best franchises in boxing.
    His name is like the Batman movies. Guaranteed to move tickets even if you haven't seen the preview.
    Only now Cotto doesn't have many blockbusters left.
    How well he performs in this fight will determine if we get Cotto vs Canelo.
    Or a rematch with Floyd.
    Cotto will fight hard because he knows he has to keep his fans believing if he's ever going get another big fight. Roach will have him looking like a Puerto Rican Joe Frazier.

Cotto will put a stress test on Martinez's entire body.
    From his fragile surgically repaired kneecaps to the rarely tested synapse connections in his cranium.
    If Martinez is found wanting in any department, Cotto will be leaving the fight with Martinez's peanut butter sandwich, his fedora, and his milk money.

The only thing that saves Martinez from taking a loss in this fight is if he still possesses that sizzling left hand...and at least 80% of his once renown lateral movement.
    In Reality both men have had their share of wear and tear... They both need to bring an economy size role of duct tape to their respective corners. And If Cotto starts bleeding from the eyes... All bets are off.

Martinez can definitely stop Cotto, he just needs to be healthy enough.

I'd say the 10th, rule of thumb with Martinez is he usually does knock the guy out but it's a round or two later....lol

I see a mid fight stoppage, Cotto gets staggered and hurt early and SM finishes him off.

39 and injuries and SM knows he wont be able to flee and box off the back foot like old times.

expect him to sit down and make his shots count early and often.

Quote Originally Posted by amayseng View Post
    I see a mid fight stoppage, Cotto gets staggered and hurt early and SM finishes him off.

39 and injuries and SM knows he wont be able to flee and box off the back foot like old times.

expect him to sit down and make his shots count early and often.
    I hope you're right. I expect Martinez to take this victory but how he does it i'm not sure. I think we will see a knockdown, but I think Cotto will get back up and hang on. It'll be a lovely left hand that puts him down but Cotto will recover to fight through the rest of the bout. Martinez takes it in a UD.

El Dude

You want to see a real fight, study Sergio Martinez because this is not Dancing with the Stars, this "Pain and Endurance with the Comets from above". The best thing for us Boxing aficionados who quench the thirst for blood in the ring will get a double shot served by Sergio Martinez and Miguel "The Monster" Cotto. This fight between Cotto and Sergio has fight of the year written all over the bloody media. Busted lips, cracked ribs, black eyes or in other words this fight is going to kick butt. I am a huge fan of both these boxing monsters regardless of who wins but one thing is for sure, I am already asking for the rematch. I agree with the predictions of Sergio Martinez for I as well predict "Maravilla" winning by KO mid through the fight. Ask Sergio Martinez the WBC Middleweight King of Boxing why people tune in to see Hockey, why the Baseball fans cheer the loudest when the benches clear and why Boxing is the Greatest Sport in the whole Wide World and he will say what is already well known, " Boxing is a sport of Gentleman-Warriors who only come to fight".
    El Dude calling it a 7 round KO.
    Last edited by El Dude; 05-15-2014 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    Cotto would fight Klitschko for another big payday.

How well he performs in this fight will determine if we get Cotto vs Canelo.
    Or a rematch with Floyd.
    Cotto will fight hard because he knows he has to keep his fans believing if he's ever going get another big fight. Roach will have him looking like a Puerto Rican Joe Frazier.

If Lara happens to be Canelo, I think we may still see that fight unless Sergio absolutely destroys Cotto.

Anybody that has read my posts knows that I am Cotto fanatic. Unfortunately, I cannot piece together a strategy that will work for Cotto because of his deficiencies in height, size, speed, weight, footwork, and possibly power. If Sergio comes in with a gimpy knee that effects his lateral movement that will be a huge advantage for Cotto but I don't think Sergio would take this fight if that were the case.

I do think that this fight could be difficult early for Sergio because chances are that Freddie is going to have Cotto pushing the pace and crowding him alot while digging to the body. Sergio has not seen anyone of any merit do that to him before. Barker, Macklin, and Murray tried it some but they spent way more time trying to box that I think Cotto will.

The other thing that stays in my mind is Sergio's susceptibility to the lucky punch due to his fighting style. I love the way Sergio fights but anyone who keeps that low, hands at the sides guard always bothers me as they always have their chin exposed. Fighters that use that guard often keep their hands low even when in close almost out of habit. I have seen a few fighters get their clocks cleaned, namely Roy Jones Jr, fighting with that style. If Roy brings his guard up, Tarver never puts that forearm and elbow almost in his chest and hits him with that vicious hook.

Quote Originally Posted by The Good Doctor View Post
    If Lara happens to be Canelo, I think we may still see that fight unless Sergio absolutely destroys Cotto.

Anybody that has read my posts knows that I am Cotto fanatic. Unfortunately, I cannot piece together a strategy that will work for Cotto because of his deficiencies in height, size, speed, weight, footwork, and possibly power. If Sergio comes in with a gimpy knee that effects his lateral movement that will be a huge advantage for Cotto but I don't think Sergio would take this fight if that were the case.

I do think that this fight could be difficult early for Sergio because chances are that Freddie is going to have Cotto pushing the pace and crowding him alot while digging to the body. Sergio has not seen anyone of any merit do that to him before. Barker, Macklin, and Murray tried it some but they spent way more time trying to box that I think Cotto will.

The other thing that stays in my mind is Sergio's susceptibility to the lucky punch due to his fighting style. I love the way Sergio fights but anyone who keeps that low, hands at the sides guard always bothers me as they always have their chin exposed. Fighters that use that guard often keep their hands low even when in close almost out of habit. I have seen a few fighters get their clocks cleaned, namely Roy Jones Jr, fighting with that style. If Roy brings his guard up, Tarver never puts that forearm and elbow almost in his chest and hits him with that vicious hook.
    Good words Doc...your script is literally leaping and feignting off the page.
    There was a brief video of Maravella doing a little stationary bike work along with some lite shadowboxing. In case you're interested. The work out was low key.... The only thing it revealed was the fact that Sergio didn't have any problem riding a bike in low gear. Which is good news.
    At least he wasn't showing any obvious signs that would reveal any glaring weaknesses.
    Cotton will put him through the ultimate test.