English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there too many PPV's scheduled?

Are there too many PPV's scheduled?

I can't remember a time in the sport where so many PPV fights were scheduled. We had Canelo-Angulo in March and Pac-Bradley II in April. On the horizon, we have Mayweather-Maidana on Saturday, Cotto-Martinez in June, Canelo-Lara in July and maybe Golovkin-Chavez also in July.

In years past, we were generally looking at three to four PPV's max. Usually those were pretty well spaced out as well so the hit to the pocketbook did not seem as great. For example, at this time last year we had one PPV on the horizon (Mayweather-Guerrero) and two potentially scheduled for later in the year (future Mayweather bout and Pac bout).

I wonder if the fans will support all these PPV"s or if even the die hards will start picking and choosing. These events arn't cheap. For example, could fans have compared the PPV's between Pac-Bradley II and Mayweather-Maidana and decided to purchase just one of the two. I think that definitely this could be the case and may impact the PPV numbers for both fights. I, for one, think more fans than usual may forgo this Mayweather fight in part because they determined Pac-Bradley II was better value and I will be very interested to see the PPV numbers for Mayweather-Maidana.

July could be very interesting if both Canelo-Lara and Golovkin-Chavez happen. There is no doubt in my mind fans will be very selective in what they purchase. And I think if both do happen that Canelo-Lara would take a beating.

Personally, I believe the promoters are doing a disservice to the sport scheduling so many PPV's. Fans will start being more selective on how they spend their hard earned money. PPV's are a part of the sport but too many in too short a time frame does not seem like a wise idea.

Re: Are there too many PPV's scheduled?

Too many for sure . Al haymon is in Julio's ear now . Don't count on the ggg fight . I also don't think Gary Russell will stay injury free and go through with the loma fight. Bring the price point down to 39.99 at least .79 way too much

At this rate potential subscribers can pay $800 to watch 10 PPV fights in one year.
    Football fans don't pay a dime and watch hundreds of hours of programming a year including the Superbowl.
    I'm getting the Floyd PPV and the Chavez / GGG PPV, then I'm imposing a cap unless the powers that be offer up a fight mafia-style...by that I mean offer me a fight that I cannot refuse.... And I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Way too many PPV's. I still haven't decided if I'm gonna order the Floyd fight, go somewhere or just skip it. I will order the Sergio-Cotto fight. That fight is worth it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    At this rate potential subscribers can pay $800 to watch 10 PPV fights in one year.
    Football fans don't pay a dime and watch hundreds of hours of programming a year including the Superbowl.
    I'm getting the Floyd PPV and the Chavez / GGG PPV, then I'm imposing a cap unless the powers that be offer up a fight mafia-style...by that I mean offer me a fight that I cannot refuse.... And I don't see that happening anytime soon.
    Yeah right, you're an addict like the rest of us and they know it. You'll be forking over coin like it's Skittles once they announce Canelo-Cotto for this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Yeah right, you're an addict like the rest of us and they know it. You'll be forking over coin like it's Skittles once they announce Canelo-Cotto for this fall.
    Lol...I'd buy Thurman vs Mayweather...check out Thurman on fight hype talking about the shoulder roll...hilarious.

Personally, I think the Mayweather-Maidana fight is going to be a PPV disappoint. Mayweather's fight last year with Guerrero was by most accounts a PPV disappoint and that was the only PPV in boxing up to that point last year. Not many other PPV bouts were on the horizon either. In addition, the Maidana fight has been promoted and publicized in much the same way as the Guerrero fight.

It seems to me like many fans are splitting there PPV dollars with all these events. But one common theme seems to be the Mayweather-Maidana fight is the one to be skipped (or still being debated whether or not to purchase). Think about it...Mayweather was completely dominant last year in his two fights and most don't seem to think this fight will be any different from those last year. So the thought seems to be why should I plunk over $75 to see this same performance again?

If this does in fact struggle badly on PPV, it will be very interesting to see how Showtime/Mayweather camp react. Last year, the reaction after the Guerrero fight was to go after the most marketable opponent possible and team that with another high profile fight. Problem is, there are really no mega fights for Floyd that are make able now like there was last year with Canelo.

I posted on a thread yesterday about CBS being a possibility if this fight struggles. It may be a bit far fetched, but I wouldn't rule it out entirely. Imagine this...after a major college football game with a huge audience comes the Floyd Mayweather fight on CBS. It could be a major ratings success. But as someone pointed out yesterday Floyd would have to take a pay cut. Yes, but what if CBS say offered Mayweather Promotions 6 future dates on CBS in exchange? Now, Mayweather Promotions can get its fighters exposure and sign more fighters with the CBS dates. Floyd is preparing for life after his career inside the ring is over and this would give his promotional company one major boost.

Unless of course Floyd loses (also not entirely out of the question) then a Maidana rematch would be absolutely huge on PPV and there is the major marketable fight that Showtime would need...

Quote Originally Posted by oubobcat View Post
    Personally, I think the Mayweather-Maidana fight is going to be a PPV disappoint. Mayweather's fight last year with Guerrero was by most accounts a PPV disappoint and that was the only PPV in boxing up to that point last year. Not many other PPV bouts were on the horizon either. In addition, the Maidana fight has been promoted and publicized in much the same way as the Guerrero fight.

It seems to me like many fans are splitting there PPV dollars with all these events. But one common theme seems to be the Mayweather-Maidana fight is the one to be skipped (or still being debated whether or not to purchase). Think about it...Mayweather was completely dominant last year in his two fights and most don't seem to think this fight will be any different from those last year. So the thought seems to be why should I plunk over $75 to see this same performance again?

If this does in fact struggle badly on PPV, it will be very interesting to see how Showtime/Mayweather camp react. Last year, the reaction after the Guerrero fight was to go after the most marketable opponent possible and team that with another high profile fight. Problem is, there are really no mega fights for Floyd that are make able now like there was last year with Canelo.

I posted on a thread yesterday about CBS being a possibility if this fight struggles. It may be a bit far fetched, but I wouldn't rule it out entirely. Imagine this...after a major college football game with a huge audience comes the Floyd Mayweather fight on CBS. It could be a major ratings success. But as someone pointed out yesterday Floyd would have to take a pay cut. Yes, but what if CBS say offered Mayweather Promotions 6 future dates on CBS in exchange? Now, Mayweather Promotions can get its fighters exposure and sign more fighters with the CBS dates. Floyd is preparing for life after his career inside the ring is over and this would give his promotional company one major boost.

Unless of course Floyd loses (also not entirely out of the question) then a Maidana rematch would be absolutely huge on PPV and there is the major marketable fight that Showtime would need...
    Interesting post. While I don't think this PPV is the "one to skip," (that seems to be a sentiments among hardcores who don't do much to the PPV bottom line anyway), due to the high number of PPVs offered this year, it would be natural for every event to see a dip due to saturation.

So I would not be surprised to see a relative underperformance in terms of buyrate.

However I doubt CBS will take any action -- nor do I think it matters -- if this one event fails in terms of buyrate. Here's why -- and there are numerous factors to consider:

- for one, this event is tracking very well and is projected, at the moment, to eclipse 1m buys

- two, I believe this PPV is an investment into the future. Market research costs money.

- even if this event completely tanks, it won't really do much damage due to the massive overperformance of the last Canelo PPV, which drew about 700,000 more than some estimations. The success of that promotions leaves more than enough to cover any hit, if they're just calculating from a rudimentary financial per-event-ROI standpoint (which I guarantee you they're not).

- CBS is likely not going to broadcast any Floyd fight, no matter what happens in this one. With free TV, you have command some serious ad money to recoup the $100m in lost PPV revenue, to cover Floyd's $32m minimum guarantee. The CBS/Showtime component is for marketing, while SHO PPV does the broadcasting (for now, anyway -- that might change).

- The nine-figure Mayweather deal isn't to be measured in just one fight but the duration of the contract and measured across several factors beyond just dollars. PPV returns aside, once Floyd jumped ship, it helped spearhead SHO's brand and catapult them to at least be an arguable No. 1 boxing franchise when there was no argument to be made before. Tey have set records and narrowed the gap between them and HBO. So the deal also pays dividends/returns from an endorsement standpoint also. Having the No. 1 guy affiliated with your brand is huge.

All that said, at the end of the day, we don't know the intricacies of the deal nor do we know what it would take for the deal to yield a positive ROI for CBS.

No matter we don't know, what we do know is this: SHO's profile has gone way up since the deal. Their boxing franchise, led by a group of known, corporate "winners" is at an all-time high.

Most importantly, taking it from the execs, according SHO boss Stephen Espinoza, regardless of how the PPVs perform, Mayweather is "worth every penny."

Mayweather on CBS would be fun though, wouldn't it?

The UFC is a perfect example of what happens when a sports promotion innundates its audience with PPV after PPV. The buy rate drops. Significantly.

Like all of you, I will buy most--but not all PPV boxing events. Hey, I am a boxing junkie and need my fix. But it's time I go to boxing rehab to cure myself of the need to keep buying the next PPV (Yes, I am getting $$$May v Maidana!!!).

But I'm spoiled. I grew up watching Muhammad Ali, George Foreman, Joe Frazier, Sugar Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran, Marvelous Marvin Hagler and a slew of other top-notch fighters on FREE network TV. Now I have to pay for what would be a main event on ABC, CBS or NBC back then.

Boxing fans often try to start a boycott of the next big PPV fight. Notes go out all over social media that we are fed up and will not plunk down another nickel for a PPV event. Then the event rolls around and we plunk down hundreds of nickels. And if we are on the fence about buying the event, we feed into the hype of All Access or 24/7, which are two extremely-well done programs which are appetite enhancers--we are starving for another PPV, and those shows make us want to pay whatever we have to in order to devour them.

As for $$$May v Maidana, the PPV numbers will most likely be over one million buys.

This junkie will be one of them.

-Randy G.

Too many because they are over priced.

If say each ppv were 35$ I would buy all of them.

I bought Pac vs Bradley and I will buy Cotto vs Martinez.....

And GGG vs Chavez.

No I am not buying Floyd vs Chino, won't be competitive at all.