English Español
Advertisement
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 53

Thread: LIKE MIKE? Is Floyd Mayweather the Michael Jordan of Boxing?

  1. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1

    Re: LIKE MIKE? Is Floyd Mayweather the Michael Jordan of Boxing?

    So far, yes he is the Michael Jordan of Boxing. For all you sticklers of comparisons it could be an unfair analogy to ALL combat sports athletes to be compared to other athletes. Combat athletes have NO team members or substitutes to help them. For all you Pacquiao supporters read this: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/manny-p...0814--box.html Base your opinion on facts supported by history,not your feelings about cocky successful black men.

  2. #22

    Re: LIKE MIKE? Is Floyd Mayweather the Michael Jordan of Boxing?

    Quote Originally Posted by finesse3000 View Post
    So far, yes he is the Michael Jordan of Boxing. For all you sticklers of comparisons it could be an unfair analogy to ALL combat sports athletes to be compared to other athletes. Combat athletes have NO team members or substitutes to help them. For all you Pacquiao supporters read this: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/manny-p...0814--box.html Base your opinion on facts supported by history,not your feelings about cocky successful black men.
    Like your passion dude, but since you say facts, lets look at facts:

    Michael Jordan by most pundits and experts is regarded as the best to ever play basketball. You will hear arguments for Magic, Big O, Bird, Wilt, and a handful of others but even most of them recognize MJ as the best. There are huge arguments against Floyd being one of the 5 best ever.

    Michael Jordan by himself, took Nike to the number one sports brand in the world. That is according to Phil Knight, not me.

    Michael Jordan beat a ton of his best contemporaries on the biggest stage when they were near or at the height of their careers: Magic, Karl Malone, Stockton, Patrick Ewing, Clyde Drexler, Barkley, Gary Payton and a host of others. Now you say basketball players benefit from teams that help them against competition which is true, however boxers get to choose their competition and often the dynamics of having to face that competition.

    Floyd, like it or not, could have been much, much greater and has had an opportunity to make this a legitimate question. He squandered it.

    Now, I absolutely love the exploits of both of them within their sport. Outside of their sport, they are both very complex individuals. Floyd runs two charities and hosts fund raisers all the time but has had major trouble with the tax man and been to the clink. MJ gave every brand new pair of shoes he wore after a game to charity for them to auction. He also paid for several basketball camps throughout the country but he punched teammates, cheated on his wife, and was awful to service people. I say all of this because I could give a flip about their personal lives because they are practically the same dude outside their craft and I can compartmentalize that so it doesn't skew my opinion.

    Also, I see that you are new to the site so I want to say welcome and please post your feelings to your heart's content. With that being said, you will see real quickly that intelligence rules this forum, not emotion. The whole people hate Floyd because they are Pacquiao supporters thing doesn't fly here. Even the most ardent of Pac supporters on this board realize the exploits of Floyd.

    Lastly, I am a successful, sometimes cocky, proud black man so game peeps game. That doesn't cloud my judgement because it would be like rooting against myself.
    Last edited by The Good Doctor; 04-22-2014 at 12:51 PM.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    South Beach
    Posts
    3,147

    Re: LIKE MIKE? Is Floyd Mayweather the Michael Jordan of Boxing?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Good Doctor View Post
    Like your passion dude, but since you say facts, lets look at facts:

    Michael Jordan by most pundits and experts is regarded as the best to ever play basketball. You will hear arguments for Magic, Big O, Bird, Wilt, and a handful of others but even most of them recognize MJ as the best. There are huge arguments against Floyd being one of the 5 best ever.

    Michael Jordan by himself, took Nike to the number one sports brand in the world. That is according to Phil Knight, not me.

    Michael Jordan beat a ton of his best contemporaries on the biggest stage when they were near or at the height of their careers: Magic, Karl Malone, Stockton, Patrick Ewing, Clyde Drexler, Barkley, Gary Payton and a host of others. Now you say basketball players benefit from teams that help them against competition which is true, however boxers get to choose their competition and often the dynamics of having to face that competition.

    Floyd, like it or not, could have been much, much greater and has had an opportunity to make this a legitimate question. He squandered it.

    Now, I absolutely love the exploits of both of them within their sport. Outside of their sport, they are both very complex individuals. Floyd runs two charities and hosts fund raisers all the time but has had major trouble with the tax man and been to the clink. MJ gave every brand new pair of shoes he wore after a game to charity for them to auction. He also paid for several basketball camps throughout the country but he punched teammates, cheated on his wife, and was awful to service people. I say all of this because I could give a flip about their personal lives because they are practically the same dude outside their craft and I can compartmentalize that so it doesn't skew my opinion.

    Also, I see that you are new to the site so I want to say welcome and please post your feelings to your heart's content. With that being said, you will see real quickly that intelligence rules this forum, not emotion. The whole people hate Floyd because they are Pacquiao supporters thing doesn't fly here. Even the most ardent of Pac supporters on this board realize the exploits of Floyd.

    Lastly, I am a successful, sometimes cocky, proud black man so game peeps game. That doesn't cloud my judgement because it would be like rooting against myself.
    This is why I love you.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    South Beach
    Posts
    3,147

    Re: LIKE MIKE? Is Floyd Mayweather the Michael Jordan of Boxing?

    Quote Originally Posted by finesse3000 View Post
    So far, yes he is the Michael Jordan of Boxing. For all you sticklers of comparisons it could be an unfair analogy to ALL combat sports athletes to be compared to other athletes. Combat athletes have NO team members or substitutes to help them. For all you Pacquiao supporters read this: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/manny-p...0814--box.html Base your opinion on facts supported by history,not your feelings about cocky successful black men.
    But I can dig this, too. Interesting read and breakdown of the facts surrounding this pathetic soap opera.

  5. #25
    Advanced Users
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    9,115

    Re: LIKE MIKE? Is Floyd Mayweather the Michael Jordan of Boxing?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Sure has lasted a while! This is from his Chicago days up until now. He's a true SOB, it's almost comical.

    Floyd ain't no saint either, though, baby mama drama and all.
    Naaa! He's not "a true SOB." The way that he lost his pops changed him.

    The GOAT Ali once was in a bad mood and waved a kid outta his face. The kid has been told by the late, great GBGOAT Angie Dundee to holla at the GOAT and show the GOAT a photo that the kid have taken with GBGOAT Angie D.

    When the GOAT Ali did this, the kid cried like bytch and was heart broken. GOAT Ali's photographer -- his name slips my mind right now -- consoled the kid. But GOAT Ali held his ground.

    I went and spoke to the kid. He was much older than I. He showed me the picture of GBGOAT Angie D., and himself and told me what GBGOAT Angie D. told him to do.

    I went to holla at the GOAT, but the GOAT has sneaked away with some fine mama-jamma hammas.

    Cutting the story short, when I did holla at the GOAT, after he got finished with his sex-a-thon, he found the info on the kid, apologized and invited the kid to his training camp in the P-State. (The GOAT trained for his very last bout there.)

    I'm not making excuses for Mike. We are boys. He is a bit moody, and has been since a black dude shot his sleeping-in-his-car pops on the highway. Mike never thought that "[N-word] would do that." I've been hanging out with Mike for years at the casinos. He's no SOB! Just snappy and a tic confused about youngish black cats. Holla!
    Last edited by Radam G; 04-22-2014 at 03:06 PM.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    258

    Re: LIKE MIKE? Is Floyd Mayweather the Michael Jordan of Boxing?

    If we are going to compare Mayweather to athletes in other sports, let me submit the name Edwin Moses. The great 400-meter hurdler won 122 consecutive races between 1977 and 1987. He was a newsmaker in a sport that wasn't newsworthy, at least not in his native country.

    The money that Edwin Moses made in appearance fees dwarfed that of others in his field. And here's the kicker: Near the end of his undefeated run, critics charged that he picked his spots carefully, ducking hurdlers that might have defeated him.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    South Beach
    Posts
    3,147

    Re: LIKE MIKE? Is Floyd Mayweather the Michael Jordan of Boxing?

    Quote Originally Posted by ArneK. View Post
    If we are going to compare Mayweather to athletes in other sports, let me submit the name Edwin Moses. The great 400-meter hurdler won 122 consecutive races between 1977 and 1987. He was a newsmaker in a sport that wasn't newsworthy, at least not in his native country.

    The money that Edwin Moses made in appearance fees dwarfed that of others in his field. And here's the kicker: Near the end of his undefeated run, critics charged that he picked his spots carefully, ducking hurdlers that might have defeated him.
    Wow! I remember Edwin! (Or, I remember reading about him when I was little...)

    That's an interesting and very apt comparison.

  8. #28
    Advanced Users
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    9,115

    Re: LIKE MIKE? Is Floyd Mayweather the Michael Jordan of Boxing?

    Quote Originally Posted by ArneK. View Post
    If we are going to compare Mayweather to athletes in other sports, let me submit the name Edwin Moses. The great 400-meter hurdler won 122 consecutive races between 1977 and 1987. He was a newsmaker in a sport that wasn't newsworthy, at least not in his native country.

    The money that Edwin Moses made in appearance fees dwarfed that of others in his field. And here's the kicker: Near the end of his undefeated run, critics charged that he picked his spots carefully, ducking hurdlers that might have defeated him.
    I saw and knew Moses toward the near end of his undefeated streak. And I will say that haters were just hatin' and needed to feel important by yapping falsehoods.They felt entitled. And the critics failed to mentioned that Moses winning times were also faster than the no hopers' times who he allegedly was ducking.

    Moses was running in the low something, while dudes who he was allegedly ducking were doing in the late 48 $e¢s and even 50$, as a kid Radam recalls.

    It reminds me of no hoper Luis Collazo calling out Money May. Thurman calling Money May. Even some no-hoper from South Africa calling out Money May. All these suckas, Money May will make pay.

    Wanting that BIG moolah, made and will always make no hopers and critics sing like a collected lark. But louder than dogs with sore throats, da suckas can't bark. They are all about the talk, and can never walk the walk. Holla!

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,306

    Re: LIKE MIKE? Is Floyd Mayweather the Michael Jordan of Boxing?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    C'mon man, that's cold. Be fair. http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=3854403

    Different games, different rules.

    Definitely Michael Jordan in terms of impact and talent. Thomas in terms of likability.

    Also, his public persona aside, Jordan was a grade-A prick with no peer. And I'm a HUGE Jordan fan.

    One time in Washington when he was playing for the Wizard, he was hanging out in a local club like those NBA guys like to do.

    A fan comes up to Jordan's table with his girlfriend, hoping to meet him and maybe get an autograph. The married Jordan dismisses him, asks his girl in instead, throws the guy out, SCREWS the girl and ruins the relationship.

    Yeh, she was a b*tch and dude probably deserved better but that's not exactly a good way to endear yourself to fans.

    Another time, rapper Chamillionaire, a massive Mike mark, was at an auction for MJ, bidding on Jordan items. The rapper ended up overpaying for a NC jersey, I believe.

    Seven stacks lighter, Chamillionaire saw Jordan hanging out, taking pictures with various women, getting his mack on.

    As His Airness was taking a break from his tail chasing and just chillin' with some mutual friends, Chamillionaire humbly approached his hero Jordan about taking a picture with him, seeing as he had just bought one of his jerseys.

    "Hell no," Jordan said, loudly. "I don't take pictures with no niggas!"

    Jordan was surrounded by Paul Pierce, Ray Allen and Spike Lee who all looked embarrassed by the ordeal. "Mike, chill, chill, chill, that's Chamillionaire, he's a big fan and he just supported your action!"

    "I don't give a f***! Nigga!"

    Jordan then, in a bullying manner, leaned over the rapper in a threatening manner and said, "I'll tell you what. You buy a jersey from me now for $15,000 and I'll take a picture with you!"

    Chamillionaire walked off humiliated and heartbroken to see his childhood idol totally tear apart that image he had of him.

    As word got back to corporate, Jordan Brand later reached out to Chamillionaire to apologize and offered him free shoes to make things right.

    An interesting aside: Jordan freely poses with Macklemore, Justin Bieber and random white dudes. So I guess he's a man of his word. Lol.

    He's also been known to be mean to kids asking for autographs, abusing staff, and being a notorious cheap skate who never tips. Whenever Charles Barkley tries to give a homeless person money, Jordan slaps his hand.

    "If they can beg, they can just as easily say 'welcome to McDonald's, how can I be of service.'"

    Ttally the opposite of his image. By comparison -- and I've experienced this firsthand -- Floyd tips generously.

    Also, after the Cotto fight, after I had filed my story, I was standing outside the hotel of his after party with my homeboy, which was hosted by 50 Cent and Kevin Hart which = lots of hot mamas.

    As we're plotting how to get in, because the line is ridiculous, Floyd's crew, which was the biggest sausage fest caravan I had ever seen in my life -- 50 dudes deep, easy -- said, "roll with us."

    Next thing you know we're walking through the hotel like we're kings. An hour or so earlier I had actually "interviewed" 50 Cent (interviewed = asking two questions at the post-fight press conference and then being politely ignored).

    It was freakin' surreal. If you've ever hung out in the "urban" nightlife scene, you'll know that dudes NEVER EVER show any kind of kindness to other guys -- as evidenced by Jordan's stories.

    Floyd just said, "roll with us" and then he goes and gives money to the people in the club.

    Frivolous? Perhaps. But he's not as bad as he's being made to be.

    And Jordan is about as far from his image in real life as you can get.
    Yeah I read about the Chamillionare incident, one of my friends is a gymnastics instructor, he told me one of his student's father ran into Mike in an elevator.

    He asked for an autograph, "Blow me" was the response he got lol. This guy was white too, I know it's he say she say, but it does not look good for Mike.

    The icing on the cake is that his shoes cost an arm and a leg when a lot of customers are from lower income families in the inner city.

    I don't know him personally but I'm not his biggest fan

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,306

    Re: LIKE MIKE? Is Floyd Mayweather the Michael Jordan of Boxing?

    Quote Originally Posted by the Roast View Post
    Yeah, MJ was and still is a global icon. There is almost nobody on Jordan's level. On the court Jordan was a killer, ruthless, win it all or go home. Living in Chicago at just the right age I saw the whole thing. From his rookie year I was going to games and just watching every move he made, with or without the ball. Floyd doesn't compare on any level.
    Lets never speak of this again.
    LOL great post!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •