English Español

Thread: Whatever Happened to Lucia Rijker ??

Whatever Happened to Lucia Rijker ??

Women's boxing is not my bag, but this lady from the Netherlands could really fight. I doubt we'll see another as good as her anytime soon.

She supposedly was unbeaten as a kick boxer in 40-plus fights. She turned pro at age twenty-eight and left boxing with a 17-0 record. She hasn't fought since 2004 and today would be 46 years old.

Her last scheduled fight was with Christy Martin. Bob Arum was the promoter and he put up a purse of one million, $750,000 to the winner. The fight fell out when Rijker ruptured an Achilles tendon in training. Advance ticket sales were sluggish, so Arum let the fight die.

Christy Martin may have been the third most-talented female fighter on the planet (behind Rijker and Laila Ali), but Rijker would have blown right through her. She was in a league of her own.

The last I heard of Rikjer, she was living in Van Nuys. I wonder how she's doing now, nine years after that nice payday evaporated.

Administrator

Re: Whatever Happened to Lucia Rijker ??

Lucia Rijker was the most dangerous female boxer I've seen in my lifetime. Lucia's only career loss came against a man who broke her leg in the early part of the bout. She thanked him for fighting her stating something along the lines of: he had a lot of down side, so I appreciate him taking that risk.

Martin stood no chance against her in my opinion.

Laila Ali wanted no part of that.

Quote Originally Posted by ArneK. View Post
    Women's boxing is not my bag, but this lady from the Netherlands could really fight. I doubt we'll see another as good as her anytime soon.

She supposedly was unbeaten as a kick boxer in 40-plus fights. She turned pro at age twenty-eight and left boxing with a 17-0 record. She hasn't fought since 2004 and today would be 46 years old.

Her last scheduled fight was with Christy Martin. Bob Arum was the promoter and he put up a purse of one million, $750,000 to the winner. The fight fell out when Rijker ruptured an Achilles tendon in training. Advance ticket sales were sluggish, so Arum let the fight die.

Christy Martin may have been the third most-talented female fighter on the planet (behind Rijker and Laila Ali), but Rijker would have blown right through her. She was in a league of her own.

The last I heard of Rikjer, she was living in Van Nuys. I wonder how she's doing now, nine years after that nice payday evaporated.

I think I read somewhere she still trains, and also corners for another female fighter and yes she was a beast.

I promoted one of her fights at Foxwoods in the mid-90's. It was an honor to work with her.

-Randy G.

P.S.--Lucia won, dishing out a terrific beating to her opponent, the very tough Dora Webber.