English Español
Advertisement
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Regarding Gerry Cooney: Would the outcome of his fight with Larry Holmes been different if ......??

Administrator

Re: Regarding Gerry Cooney: Would the outcome of his fight with Larry Holmes been different if ......??

Not just Long Island, deep. Properly managed, he would have been Heavyweight King. There's a reason you don't take a cake out of the oven ten minutes too soon. As for Mr Futch? While Eddie and I would battle on other topics, we'd be in agreement on the subject of Cooney. He would have done for Gerry what he did for Riddick Bowe. And Bowe arguably never lost.

Administrator

Re: Regarding Gerry Cooney: Would the outcome of his fight with Larry Holmes been different if ......??

Quote Originally Posted by jzzy View Post
    Yeah, Big Gerry was rushed along, they went for the big bucks a little too soon, Holmes was a tough professional who paid his dues. I also had the impression
    that Big Gerry was just too nice of a guy for the dirty boxing game, he didn't have that mean streak that makes a champ, and his self confidence was destroyed
    in the Holmes fight. We hope Gerry's doing well, he did the best he could in boxing under the circumstances and should have no regrets.
    Great point. I meant to bring that point out as well. Self confidence was indeed destroyed by that bout. The movie title 'A Bridge to Far' comes to mind when I think about them putting Gerry in that position. Boxing history was altered in a large way by the managing of his career. And of course what an Eddie Futch type would have added is unmeasurable. That's why timing in boxing is so very important.

The window of time for Cooney would have been the post-Holmes pre-Tyson era, and properly managed, he certainly could've reigned at that time. I'm a fan of Cooney, as clearly we all are, but he'd have not fared well with the Iron Mike of the Reagan/Bush 41 years.

The Legendary Nights episode documenting that event was excellent. I recall Barry Thompkins saying something to the effect of 'you'd talk to Dennis Rappaport and then feel for your pockets to ensure you still had your wallet.'

Domenic--In the Gerry Cooney chapter I am writing, Gerry gives up a lot about his relationship and feelings towards his managers, Dennis Rappaport and Mike Jones, better known as the "Wacko Twins."

I really believe that, with different handling, guidance and development, Cooney would have beaten Larry Holmes.

If you like Cooney and want to talk with him, he is my co-host every Monday & Friday on SiriusXM Radio, channel 92 from 6-8pm (ET). You can call us toll free at 1-866-522-2846. If you were a big fan of his before, you will be a bigger fan of his once you speak to him.

He really lives up to his nickname.

"Gentleman" Gerry Cooney.

-Randy G.