English Español
Advertisement

Thread: I Was Visited by the Ghost of Rube Goldberg....and it was most unpleasant.

I Was Visited by the Ghost of Rube Goldberg....and it was most unpleasant.

One of the fun things about being a hobbyist boxing historian is that you run across familiar names that you wouldn't associate with boxing. Take Rube Goldberg, for example.

Goldberg was trained as an engineer -- his first full-time job was with the San Francisco Department of Water and Sewage -- but he abandoned that work to become an illustrator. He was at the famous Gans-Nelson fight at Goldfield in 1906 and was ringside for Dempsey-Willard in 1919. After relocating to New York, he even worked as a timekeeper at a few club fights, work he likely took as a lark. By then, he didn't need the money.

I'm not sure if the name Rube Goldberg rings a bell any more, but there was a time when his name instantly evoked the image of his great legacy, the convoluted invention that performs a simple task. Goldberg's drawings were staples in the funny pages of hundreds of newspapers.

The typical Rube Goldberg contraption had many moving parts. Perhaps a scheme would be devised to compel a house cat to knock over a saucer of milk, setting off a chain reaction that ultimately allowed a man to wipe soup off his chin with a napkin without using his hands. A Rube Goldberg competition I found on the Web invited students to invent a contraption that put toothpaste on a toothbrush in no less than twenty steps.

The last few days I wrestled with the ghost of Rube Goldberg. The United States Tax Code could have only been invented by him.

Re: I Was Visited by the Ghost of Rube Goldberg....and it was most unpleasant.

You will be an epic moderator.

And I for one will be looking forward to more output from you.

Wouldn't even mind a shameless book plug or two!

Advanced Users

Nice! Nuff said! Holla!

Wasn't Rube Goldgerg the name of the woman who came out of the bathtub in the Shining? Room 237? Now I'm gonna have nightmares.