English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Schaefer Addresses De La Hoya Beef

Schaefer Addresses De La Hoya Beef

For the past few months, the grapevine's been riddled with speculation of major dissension within the ranks of the world's biggest promotional outfit, Golden Boy Promotions.

From rumors of CEO Richard Schaefer's dismissal to owner Oscar De La Hoya promising to "set the record straight," fans and media alike have wondered whether Schaefer and De La Hoya were on the outs.

"I'm not going to speak on that," GBP partner and light heavyweight champion Bernard Hopkins said at his training camp for his upcoming unification bout April 19. "I have a fight to promote."

According to Golden Boy staff, Schaefer, the day-to-day officer of the LA-based promoter, hadn't been in the office for weeks.

"He took his keys and left the office," one source said. "No one is there to run the business."

Some even insisted Schaefer and Haymon were plotting a secession in a conspiracy to take over boxing while leaving the Golden Boy in the dust.

Meanwhile, the usually talkative CEO has stayed strangely quiet in the media while rumors and attacks from rival promoters persisted.

Until now.

While Schaefer admits that he did indeed leave the office, it wasn't for the reasons people claim.

He was simply on a family holiday, he said.

And the rumors?

“90% of this stuff is false," he said. “I made a Canelo fight on my vacation."

According to the Swiss-born fight broker, no one had changed his locks either when he returned from vacation Monday morning.

"I’m here in my office making more fights, and my keys still worked when I got to the office this morning,” said Schaefer while adding that the Golden Boy schedule remains full for the upcoming months.

"I’m talking here about my exciting calendar with Bernard Hopkins fighting this weekend to become a champion at 49, I’ve got an April 26 card at StubHub Center and Mayweather...."

Re: Schaefer Addresses De La Hoya Beef

You just know something is going on, including FBI investigation into the operation of GBP. Here's a big question to ponder:

If this whole GBP mess blows sky-high in the next few weeks, will Oscar de la Hoya be in Canastota, NY, the weekend of June 6-8 to accept his induction into the International Boxing Hall of Fame?

Let's keep our eyes on this huge and developing story.

-Randy G.

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
    You just know something is going on, including FBI investigation into the operation of GBP. Here's a big question to ponder:

If this whole GBP mess blows sky-high in the next few weeks, will Oscar de la Hoya be in Canastota, NY, the weekend of June 6-8 to accept his induction into the International Boxing Hall of Fame?

-Randy G.
    The crooked-arse FBI would sit the investigation to the side to give Big Money O his day in Canastota, NY. The FBI is generous with it. Holla!

-Randy G.
    Please share! What do you know? I haven't heard of this. What would they be investigation? I don't think they're doing anything criminal there, do you?

-Randy G.
    Money laundering?

Cooking the books?

Advanced Users

Hehehehehehe! C-Cas speaketh da truth. It is not like I didn't say a couple of years ago that the U.S. gov agency was gonna beat down GBP for perpetrating a fraud. Bye-bye BIRDY! The sky is really fallin.' And the posers are no long ballin." Holla!

I hope not Commish. De La Hoya is gonna ditch that crooked Swiss cheese banker and the shadow -al haymon soon enough. I can't wait to meet up with Oscar again ,especially at such a wonderful event. That Canelo -Angulo fight was fixed as soon as the contract was signed. I wonder if the feds have proof? When Oscar came to Gleason's gym with Swiss Cheese to announce the GBP and Barclay's deal. My wife to be ,myself and the awesome Burt Sugar were outside chatting it up. Oscar came to hang out with us all because he was taking pics with my wife inside and Swiss Cheese came over and grabbed Oscar by the arm to take him away and whisper in his ear. He looked pissed. Burt said he felt like his date at the prom just got snatched away by a jealous older brother or something like that. I hope Oscar comes out of this OK, The CEO is to blame if anything and Oscar is the owner not the CEO.

Quote Originally Posted by Carmine Cas View Post
    Cooking the books?
    No more than any other promoter.

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    No more than any other promoter.
    But powerful talking heads have called out GBP many times for this doing. And some other strange activities. I think that GBP has not only cook and crook the books. They have burnt 'em and some bodies too. Hehehe! Holla!