English Español
Advertisement
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Frampton vs Santa Cruz

Re: Frampton vs Santa Cruz

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    That would be great D2 I'd love to see that footage.

@Suges yeah it was a great night first time I've been to a fight night in Belfast, will definitely go again when I can. If Rigo wants him there... It would be too much. I hope that fight happens as well as the Santa Cruz fight. Division is stackin up nicely!

Frampton is more interested in Santa Cruz, he would get it on with Rigo if the chance arose I think.

Wow...I wondered where you were from. I've been hearing about this Frampton kid for a while now and judging from your passionate post this guy is the truth.
    Does he have a chance against the volume punching Cruz?

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    Wow...I wondered where you were from. I've been hearing about this Frampton kid for a while now and judging from your passionate post this guy is the truth.
    Does he have a chance against the volume punching Cruz?
    Don't get it twisted I'm from London side of the river! Flew into Belfast for the night and came back this afternoon.

Frampton is powerful with both hands, he's got good fundamentals and he's patient. But what I like most about him, which i alluded to in my post was his instinctive ability. He's not the finished package but he's polishing up fast and I wouldn't be surprised if he beats Cruz. He can handle the volume of punches and he'll return them in kind.

The thing with most British fighters is a lack of overseas, more importantly American, experience. If their first fight over in the states is for a strap then chances are the big cheque, bright lights and enormity of it all will get to them.. Happened to too many Brits who've gone over unfortunately. But you've got to fight where you're told to... Crawford came to not so soft Glasgow in a packed house and dismantled Burns..

How will Frampton fair stateside? I'm saying he copes well. He's been hot on the heels of Martinez for the IBF but now ended up at Cruz' door. His team are world class, and his trainer especially is a real bright spark with a great future in the sport. If there's a chink they'll find it. Cant wait for this fight personality could be FOTY!

Did you just say "don't get it twisted" OK who are you and where are you really from?... Lol... Well hard punching ...polished or unpolished can fell the best boxers ... Especially Rigor ...I'm glad most of the hype has its origin in fact.

Yeah I assume you're familiar with the turn of phrase! I'm born in the good old East end of London the real home of the knuckle heads in the capital city! If you wanna know a lil about me personally.. I played football professionally until the age of 17 when I was released due to injury. I was junior southern area champ at bantamweight too although my sites were always on getting my adult professional contract after leaving the academy.. Amateur boxing career stopped not long after I was 19 due to my injury issues. Without football or boxing, and no high school certificates I was looking at the dole.. Fortunately my family, mum in particular, convinced me to get into college. I ended up going, excelling and winning a scholarship to study Economics at one of the best institutions in the country. I also became the university league boxing champ but wasn't much to shout about since they spent more hours with their heads in books than in head guards.. I hope to save enough money one day to build a solid gym back where I grew up, start churning out champions in heart and mind, and giving back to my community as best I can.

I'd like to see how Frampton does vs rigo. I think rigo is just too smart for him. Frampton would probably give him the best he's received up to till now but it's still a rigo show.

Edit: hope the phrase wasn't lost in translation, it was used in jokingly in a friendly manner!
    Last edited by Skibbz; 04-05-2014 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    Yeah I assume you're familiar with the turn of phrase! I'm born in the good old East end of London the real home of the knuckle heads in the capital city! If you wanna know a lil about me personally.. I played football professionally until the age of 17 when I was released due to injury. I was junior southern area champ at bantamweight too although my sites were always on getting my adult professional contract after leaving the academy.. Amateur boxing career stopped not long after I was 19 due to my injury issues. Without football or boxing, and no high school certificates I was looking at the dole.. Fortunately my family, mum in particular, convinced me to get into college. I ended up going, excelling and winning a scholarship to study Economics at one of the best institutions in the country. I also became the university league boxing champ but wasn't much to shout about since they spent more hours with their heads in books than in head guards.. I hope to save enough money one day to build a solid gym back where I grew up, start churning out champions in heart and mind, and giving back to my community as best I can.

I'd like to see how Frampton does vs rigo. I think rigo is just too smart for him. Frampton would probably give him the best he's received up to till now but it's still a rigo show.

Edit: hope the phrase wasn't lost in translation, it was used in jokingly in a friendly manner!
    Playing professional football as a juvenile?.... Sounds like you retired when most others began. At the very least it sounds like you were breaking some kind of labor law.

Fascinating background Skibbz.. You have a little in common with Amayseng who was(is) physically gifted as a young man.

Thanks for sharing ... Your background must have prepared you for a lot of things you can't learn in college.
    Last edited by brownsugar; 04-05-2014 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    Playing professional football as a juvenile?.... Sounds like you retired when most others began. At the very least it sounds like you were breaking some kind of labor law.

Fascinating background Skibbz.. You have a little in common with Amayseng who was(is) physically gifted as a young man.

Thanks for sharing ... Your background must have prepared you for a lot of things you can't learn in college.
    What I mean by professional is that I was playing for a professional club in their academy. From the age of 8-17. Most guys start playing around 4-5 and get scouted by the latest at 11-12. To break into an academy from the outside after that age is rare.

I wouldn't say physically gifted. I just practised a whole lot more than most. Every waking hour was spent kicking a ball or throwing a punch. I was expelled from high school at 15 for repeated fighting so I spent most of my time either with other delinquents in the boxing gym or on the field kicking cans tennis balls or a football.

As I may have mentioned in another post. By the age of 17, I had spent more hours kicking a ball than I had asleep.
    Last edited by Skibbz; 04-06-2014 at 07:06 AM.

I know the brits are serious about their football. My son was both a talent and a training machine and thus a borderline case to break into the national team of 15 year olds. At the national camp held every year in Halmstad for U16, on the west coast, were the best 20-25 players from every region in the country gather for both training and playing eachother, british scouts virtually stand in queue along the sidelines of the pitch, reporting home in their cell phones as the games unfold: "No 7 in Team Skane looking good on the right wing, with composure, fast decisions, fast feet..."

Every year, some 2-8 kids around 15 are signed by the major clubs in England - Chelsea, Liverpool, etc - which in some cases mean they move to England, and in almost all cases mean they come back after a couple of years, not having fulfilled their promise or potential. The competition is murderous. Most of them would have benefitted from staying home with their local clubs, maturing and developing their talent in a more comfortable environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
    I know the brits are serious about their football. My son was both a talent and a training machine and thus a borderline case to break into the national team of 15 year olds. At the national camp held every year in Halmstad for U16, on the west coast, were the best 20-25 players from every region in the country gather for both training and playing eachother, british scouts virtually stand in queue along the sidelines of the pitch, reporting home in their cell phones as the games unfold: "No 7 in Team Skane looking good on the right wing, with composure, fast decisions, fast feet..."

Every year, some 2-8 kids around 15 are signed by the major clubs in England - Chelsea, Liverpool, etc - which in some cases mean they move to England, and in almost all cases mean they come back after a couple of years, not having fulfilled their promise or potential. The competition is murderous. Most of them would have benefitted from staying home with their local clubs, maturing and developing their talent in a more comfortable environment.
    Interesting post Grimm did your son ever cross over into the UK? I've played against Malmo at a tournament, some decent footballers you Swedes have!

You're right when it comes to scouts.. I was scouted at a school game and invited to trials. The scout followed us all the way back to our home and before we got through our front door called us over to give us 'the good news'.. It's big business and that doesn't stop at the grass roots of the sport.

I think it depends a lot on the academy the young lads end up at though. Some academies are tremendous at what they do and they can take a young boy and mould a world class player out of him.. However not all academies are funded great or are prioritized so it can lead to a lot of broken dreams.. Murderous competition, agents like vultures and clubs who only want to see results. It's tough, but those that make it out can find their lives transformed, for better or worse..

@BrownSugar I just read that Hyde's put out words that he's willing to fly Rigo to Belfast to fight Frampton... What a show that would be. I'd think it would be a top job my Mcguigan sorts the Cruz Frampton bout, but also gets Carl signed up for a date in Belfast with the cuban professor. That'd have me chuffed... Ahh let it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm View Post

You are so right! My nephew went to Newcastle at 15, played a few games, did well, they bid on him but his team ultimately refused -- and for good reason. They sold him to France last year for 15 million, the biggest sale in that team's history.

On the other hand, numerous others who went as youths never adjusted. The ruthless competitive mentality is so far from the sometimes crippling unselfish altruism embedded into the core of the nice people of Skåne.

One guy who does quite well from Malmö, who has more of the American swagger in terms of mentality is Zlatan. A true gentleman is the King of Glasgow by way of Helsingborg Henke!

Brits have a mentality that is excellent for pro sports. Good teamwork, solid self belief, excellent work ethic -- David Beckham, of all people, comes to mind -- will fight to the end although their national team kinda has that Ken Hershman syndrome and has had it since 1967.

Did your son keep up with soccer?

For sake of relevance, never seen Frampton, does he give give Rigo a tougher fight than Santa Crauz?

By the way, speaking of Hyde, I have some stuff for the next edition of the rumor mill.