English Español
Advertisement

Thread: Manny on Freddie: "In The Gym I Call Him 'Master Freddie'''

Manny on Freddie: "In The Gym I Call Him 'Master Freddie'''

Manny Pacquiao Write-Up/Blog 4: Monday, April 7

Question For Manny Pacquiao - Training with Freddie Roach, describe a typical day in and out the gym. Your relationship with Freddie. You dine together, watch film together, etc...
    Answer From Pacquiao: :I train Monday through Saturday every week of training camp. It is a strict schedule that allows my body to rest between morning and afternoon sessions so that I can perform my training at my best. Everything is geared to one goal, peaking physically and mentally on April 12 – Fight Day.
    At sunrise, I usually head over to one of three areas that I rotate and run several miles. I no longer run hills every day and that has eliminated the leg cramps I had suffered from, beginning with my fight with Shane Mosley in 2011. After my run, Justin Fortune, who is my strength and conditioning coach, runs me though a series of drills that are designed to improve my speed and agility. By 8 a.m., I return home for breakfast with my camp and then a take a nap. I usually arrive at Wild Card Boxing Club at 1 p.m. for a three-hour session with Freddie. Sparring takes place Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays while I work the mitts with Freddie every day. Then it’s a circuit on the double-end bag, the heavy bag, the speed bag, jumping rope and hundreds of situps. The session ends with strength drills with Justin. It’s during the afternoon session that Freddie and I interact and discuss, design and execute our strategy for defeating Tim Bradley. We know what we have to do to beat him. After training we go to a Thai restaurant near the gym for lunch and then head back home where I relax, play chess with my friends or watch a movie a home, followed by dinner. After dinner I read The Bible or discuss it with my friends and I’m usually in bed by 10 p.m.
    Freddie has been a father, a brother and a best friend since the day we met. I cannot overstate his importance to me and how much he has impacted my life. I am a better person for having Freddie in my life. We are a team. In the gym I call him Master Freddie. He is the boss and he is the teacher. And even though we do not spend as much time together as we used to, we will always have a special bond that will remain strong for the rest of our lives.
    24/7 Pacquiao/Bradley 2 show #3 debuts Thursday, April 10 at 8:30 p.m. ET/PT on HBO two nights before the high stakes welterweight title bout.Pacquiao vs. Bradley 2 takes place Sat., April 12 live on pay-per-view beginning at 9:00 p.m. ET/6:00 p.m. PT.

Re: Manny on Freddie: "In The Gym I Call Him 'Master Freddie'''

Cool. Nice story.

Hey, heard SHO is working on a press release. It's supposed to give an unprecedented look into the inner workings of Floyd Mayweather's training camp.

Tough nothing is confirmed at this point, my sources tell me that it reads something like this.

"Mayweather on Trainer: In The Gym I Call Him Dad"

Should be compelling. Can't wait.

Nice back story and if this is true I'm looking forward to seeing the shenanigans at the Mayweather gym lol

Quote Originally Posted by Carmine Cas View Post
    Nice back story and if this is true I'm looking forward to seeing the shenanigans at the Mayweather gym lol
    Lol no I was just being facetious...

Though Floyd Sr. isn't really much of a trainer to Floyd Jr. Roger trains him more than Big Floyd does. Senior just watches the bag from time to time, watches tape and works the corner.

I guess that's the modern trainer, though. Nacho doesn't seem to do much work with JMM either besides organizing the camp.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Lol no I was just being facetious...

Though Floyd Sr. isn't really much of a trainer to Floyd Jr. Roger trains him more than Big Floyd does. Senior just watches the bag from time to time, watches tape and works the corner.

I guess that's the modern trainer, though. Nacho doesn't seem to do much work with JMM either besides organizing the camp.
    That being said not many fighters appreciate that. Mayfield was rather vocal about the fact that his cornerman was playing the role of trainer in his fight vs Dulorme, as his official trainer VH was with Khan in the UK.

I don't think all trainers operate like that, and I don't think it's right to leave a fighter to train with a secondary ahead of a big fight, or any fight to be honest. The trainer should be there with the fighter in preparation for camp, during camp and after the fight. The relationship has to be close for it to work in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    That being said not many fighters appreciate that. Mayfield was rather vocal about the fact that his cornerman was playing the role of trainer in his fight vs Dulorme, as his official trainer VH was with Khan in the UK.

I don't think all trainers operate like that, and I don't think it's right to leave a fighter to train with a secondary ahead of a big fight, or any fight to be honest. The trainer should be there with the fighter in preparation for camp, during camp and after the fight. The relationship has to be close for it to work in my opinion.
    That's what I would think too.

I think Floyd Jr. just trains himself. His dad's ego is just so massive that he can tell him he's the head trainer, although he doesn't hold mitts or do anything really, and he will take credit for it.

This guy was asked in a recent interview, "why do you think he will beat Pacquiao?" Senior said it would be an easy fight.

"Why?"

"Because of his daddy! Daddy is here."

He was asked aboutother guys, same response. Kid you not.

In reality, he's just a camp coordinator, kinda like Boza Edwards, who oversees stuff and then gets a big check. I think Nate Jones is more of a trainer. At least he wears that suit.

I understand with Nacho because he's like 107 years old and probably can't keep up with the mitt work.

I heard an interview with Mayfield where he complains about Hunter being overseas with Khan while he worked with someone else.

It's not really fair but roaches, er, coaches go where the money is.