English Español
Advertisement
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm literally RIGHT next to Klitschko's gym and I didn't even realize it....questions for the champ, if I can arrange it?

Re: I'm literally RIGHT next to Klitschko's gym and I didn't even realize it....questions for the champ, if I can arrange it?

Okay, well I hope you take up chess. I have no disbelief in the priceless asset that is the human mind. What I disbelieve is anyone's ability to become a chess expert in 6 months or less. But please prove me wrong, I'm always hungry for humble pie.

Administrator

Re: I'm literally RIGHT next to Klitschko's gym and I didn't even realize it....questions for the champ, if I can arrange it?

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    6 months makes no expert in chess man no matter how much you play it. No he didn't check out Random topics for the story, it's on my boxing/chess/war thread.

Doesn't Briggs train at the same gym too? or has he moved again..?
    Pawn to King 4...ol' school, babee!

I've played one GM (Grandmaster) in my life. You know when you say, gee, now would be a great time to have the game of my life? Well, I may have. I was seeing the board really well, maintained adequate pressure and found myself in the end game where I misstepped and imploded. I was told after the game had I moved my king one square over earlier I could have forced a draw. So he asked if I'd like another game. Would have been a really good time to say no, and thanked him for the experience but when it comes to competition, I don't think as clearly as I should sometimes. So, I make a less than great move early and in literally moments I look like Tommy Morrison when he was trapped on the ropes versus Ray Mercer. I really need to work on saying no.

Great story Shadow..... all things are possible to him that believes.

I started playing chess at sea,... whiling away the long hours between ports of rest and recreation.. holding the probability of 48 moves in your head (thinking 24 moves ahead for your opponent and yourself) is an empowering feeling. As close as it comes to feeling like GOD.

I used to lose anywhere from 2-5 pounds when I played.. a testament to the amount of mental energy you have to expend to beat the best players. Eventually I played the local sharks for money and found out that the pool for talent in the game is next to limitless. I remember my wife coming down to the living room and taking the board off the table and demanding that I go to bed after playing 14 hours straight.

I loved the game and became obsessed. The game is so mental that having someone steal your best piece off the board is as physically and mentally tramatic as catching someone cheating with your lover. That's when you go into overdrive and hope that you have enough pieces on the board within striking proximity to finish the mission.

I stopped playing in my 40's.... but recently started back because one of my grandsons challenged me. In my family you give away token victories to new arrivals.
    you punish them with extreme prejudice in a way that will make them regret they ever wanted to play the game.

My Grandson gave me a tongue lashing because it took me 18 moves to beat him and the resident Computer guy (Paul) who fixes our computers (and has a freelance business as a PC tech) and also rents a room in his dads spacious home, beat him in only 12.

Now I'm targeting Paul for a late summer bout for the family championship.... hopefully the program on my cell phone will get me prepared.
    As it stands today I can only see 7 moves ahead and wouldn't be much of a challenge to an active player. I'll need to increase my onboard memory capacity to have a chance of beating this guy.

Playing chess is like the great gun fights of the old west. your only as good as the last person you killed.

Quote Originally Posted by dino da vinci View Post
    Pawn to King 4...ol' school, babee!

I've played one GM (Grandmaster) in my life. You know when you say, gee, now would be a great time to have the game of my life? Well, I may have. I was seeing the board really well, maintained adequate pressure and found myself in the end game where I misstepped and imploded. I was told after the game had I moved my king one square over earlier I could have forced a draw. So he asked if I'd like another game. Would have been a really good time to say no, and thanked him for the experience but when it comes to competition, I don't think as clearly as I should sometimes. So, I make a less than great move early and in literally moments I look like Tommy Morrison when he was trapped on the ropes versus Ray Mercer. I really need to work on saying no.

The best i've played was the #1 rank in Canada. Was at a barbeque when somebody mentioned that he was indeed Canada's premier chess master. I love to challenge myself and without seeming too cocky or pushy, I politely asked him if he'd like to give me a match because I may not have a chance to play against someone of his caliber again. He very happily accepted and with an almost premeditated sense, looked back toward the host and hollered for a chess board.

We sat down, and I did my best to give a good account of myself, to at least earn his respect if I wasn't able to beat him, but I would sweat it out. I held my own for the first 30 moves I would like to think, but that's when things started to go wrong. I had been playing chess competitively since my early teens and had faced many people in the top 200 in the UK. Never had I seen what I had coming. It quickly became apparent to me that all the whilst I thought I was doing good, I had been lulled into that sense of security. He gave nothing away whilst he was playing, he simply picked up the piece and moved it. Within the space of another 15 moves, the game was wrapped up, mate and match. I knew I had it coming by the last 10 but I was trapped, lured to the defeat by a true genius.

He offered a me another go with a smile (I think all great chess players have this air of superiority that only they have..) but this time I asked if he would offer me advice whenever he saw a good opportunity and we ended up playing aloud. I learned a lot that afternoon, and my game definitely stepped up.

Man I love chess, I've neglected to play it for the last two years.. Perhaps i'll pick it up again.