English Español
Advertisement
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who plays golf ?

Administrator

Re: Who plays golf ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
    I'll set you up with Gerry Cooney. My co-host at SiriusXM doesn't just hit long drives off the tee--he hits freakin' moon shots! Big Gerry loves to play golf. I will mention it tomorrow when I see him at the NYHOF luncheon, where he is scheduled to be one of the inductees.

-Randy G.
    Your co-host stopped John Dino Denis, who was trained by Ernie Forte. John wasn't the biggest fan of training, but he had a heart bigger than the state of Rhode Island. Too bad to, because he peaked at 5 in the WBA, and 6th in the BC, back when it was just the two. I learned a lot from Ernie.

Wow Dino,.. great story. If I had experienced golf from a caddy's perspective like yours I'd be more open to playing.

I enjoy being on the links, but I just don't play enough to be any good. In fact, I get my golf and bowling scores mixed up. I gold 300 and bowl a 67!

-Randy G.

Bsug, when you first pick up a club and take a natural swing at the ball everything you do fundamentally will be wrong. A natural swing is not a natural golf swing. A golf swing has to be fundamentally correct. Now this is coming from a baseball player who my whole life was hitting monstrous home runs even at an early age. Now a baseball swing is the opposite of a golf swing. I had a hell of a time beginning. If you swing a club like a bat you will slice and cut the ball incorrectly EVERY single time.

I started golfing at about 24 years old and let me tell you it took six years to be decent to where if someone was watching I would not be humiliated by my shot. Three years in I finally took the time to learn my grip and this inside out swing. Now I can swing that 9 iron and it feels as natural as a baseball bat. Lots of practice, lots of cussing and lots of beer. Also lots of stories, I have so many funny and fond memories of golfing with my dad, just crazy stuff you can always look back and laugh at.

What I have learned is that it starts with the proper GRIP, then it is an inside to outside swing along with another 300 fundamentals to follow. Master the swing. Practice and repetition will build muscle memory.

As frustrating as golf can be remember a bad day on the golf course beats a good day in the office every time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
    I'll set you up with Gerry Cooney. My co-host at SiriusXM doesn't just hit long drives off the tee--he hits freakin' moon shots! Big Gerry loves to play golf. I will mention it tomorrow when I see him at the NYHOF luncheon, where he is scheduled to be one of the inductees.

-Randy G.
    Thanks Commish that would great.
    Amayseng that is a good shot man.
    I caddied when I was younger but thought it was too slow to put in the practice . All my coworkers and doctors play so its a good thing to be involved in.My friend in Vegas lives in a development that has 9 holes and tried a round a couple years back.I can hit it straight but my technique is terrible. Signed up for 6-1 hour lessons at the PGA superstore with a 1 year membership to driving range and simulater for $299. What a damn good investment . The pro says my club speed and ball speed are better then tour average . With hard work I will try and I improve. Plus I need something to replace boxing. This summer will be my last competition .