English Español
Advertisement
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Shadow's Rumor Mill...

Re: Shadow's Rumor Mill...

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Oh, no never ever did I say, indicate or even suggest that UFC was a target. I said the consolidation strategy of the UFC and the WWE was a blueprint, a benchmark for which GBP would like to emulate -- and I absolutely believe that is what we're seeing.

And another illustration of Ken Hershman's "remarkable" run at the top:

His latest stroke of genius can be traced back to the last GBP fight on HBO, Bernard Hopkins' record-breaking title win vs. undefeated champ Tavoris Cloud.

Hopkins, a proven, bonafide ratings juggernaut, had expressed a desire to make history by unifying the light heavyweight titles at 50 years old -- an unprecedented, borderline immortal, historic feat, should it happen. Something that should belong on HBO.

Instead, Hershman, out of nothing but unfiltered spite, tries to rob Hopkins of a shot at history (and another 1m+ viewers guaranteed) by freezing him out of the light heavyweight landscape for the next two years, effectively ending the ATG's career.

What happened instead is GBP, Hopkins and Al Haymon -- who yes, works with Hopkins -- answered fire with fire, went out and got the two champions that mattered, Shumenov and Stevenson (The Big Three are still WBA, WBC, IBF), and threw a monkey wrench in their Stevenson/Kovalev freeze-out attempt.

Now, Hershman, seduced by his position, stands to lose YET ANOTHER MARQUEE FIGHTER in Stevenson --whose repeated requests for a Hopkins showdown went ignored -- to rival SHO, leaving him with no notable opponent for WBO champion Kovalev.

According to Sports Illustrated's Chris Mannix (he's the truth), Hershman could've locked down Stevenson vs. Kovalev months ago, but threw another lowball offer a fighter's way, thinking that the fact that they're "HBO" is enough to persuade a fighter to stay.

Now Stevenson refuses to sign the HBO deal while Espinoza has thrown him a sweet, sweet offer for his next fit, which HBO can match but appears they won't.
    So it seems like Hershman's worse enemy is himself, he is spiteful and burns bridges when he shouldn't.

Great post of Ken Hershman, Shadow.

-Randy G.

Quote Originally Posted by Carmine Cas View Post
    I can't argue with that Randy, and do you think that's good for fans in the long run?
    Why wouldn't it be?? Less obstacles to making fights, no promotional beefs...the only one who hurts from it is rival promoters with proclivity to doing in-house fights.

Lol I'm sorry, I know you didn't ask me. Forgive me.
    Last edited by The Shadow; 03-25-2014 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carmine Cas View Post
    So it seems like Hershman's worse enemy is himself, he is spiteful and burns bridges when he shouldn't.
    Precisely. He's not fit for the GM spot on a 66-win Lakers team. He's not the guy who leads a winner. He's the guy who overachieves for the underdog without actually winning, the GM who leads the Mlwaukee Bucks to a 48-win season. That type of dude.
    Last edited by The Shadow; 03-25-2014 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Precisely. He's not fit for the GM spot on a 66-win Lakers team. He's not the guy who leads a winner. He's the guy who overachieves for the underdog without actually winning, the GM who leads the Mlwaukee Bucks to a 48-win season. That type of dude.
    Besides hershman, do you view de la Hoyas comments about working with hbo and Arum again and ending the cold war a positive thing?

Also didn't Stevenson have an agreement to take this tune up fight and meet Kovalev after they both take these tuneups against nobodies? I know Stevenson and Haymon want as muh money as possible but how much does fighting fonfera really deserve? I want to see Stevenson vs Kovalev but I guess that won't be happening . Hopkins Stevenson is nice but I thought the Stevenson Kovalev was being built up nicely then the winner could fight Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by deepwater2 View Post
    Besides hershman, do you view de la Hoyas comments about working with hbo and Arum again and ending the cold war a positive thing?
    I view it as an insignificant thing. It's nice but it means nothing, from a business standpoint.

Here's why I say that, which no one has really pointed out as it pertains to Oscar's olive branch:

Oscar is ill. He is a recovering substance abuser. Step 9 of his recovery program is "making amends." Apologizing. Writing letters. Reaching out to those you have fallen out with, whether you feel you were at fault or not. Gratitude. All that good stuff.

That is all he is doing, in my view. (Just look at his tweets every time he's out of rehab.)

For that same reason, the Cold War tension/competition isn't good for Oscar's recovery, according to his recovery program.

The reality is Golden Boy and Showtime don't really need Top Rank's top fighters.

Top Rank's latest GBP coup attempt -- a strategy that has worked for them in the past (Marquez, Mosley, Bradley et al.) -- was squashed when Al Haymon scooped up a guy -- Robert Guerrero -- already co-managed by two guys.

Moreover, they don't really need HBO; HBO, frankly, needs them more at this stage. So Oscar's personal growth/healing conflicts directly with his company's direction.

The way I see it, historically, there are two ways to end a Cold War: 1) meet at the table and come to an agreement with your super power enemy or 2) break down the (Berlin) wall and render your super power enemy insignificant.

They're clearly breaking down the wall.

That's boxing politics for ya'. We all would love to see Sergey Kovalev v Adonis Stevenson. However, put yourself in the place of each guy. They want to make a few bucks before risking it all. Kovalev thinks he can beat Stevenson. Stevenson thinks he can beat Kovalev. They would probably each sign on the dotted line if their managers/advisors told them to. But, they're gonna' tease us a little and make us wait, and take on Fonfara & Agnew a & maybe a few more names before taking on each other.

It's business.

It's boxing politics.

It's HBO vs Showtime.

It's Golden Boy v Top Rank.

But now it's looking like it's Golden Boy v The Feds.

Now, that's a whole different story!

-Randy G.

Quote Originally Posted by deepwater2 View Post
    Also didn't Stevenson have an agreement to take this tune up fight and meet Kovalev after they both take these tuneups against nobodies? I know Stevenson and Haymon want as muh money as possible but how much does fighting fonfera really deserve? I want to see Stevenson vs Kovalev but I guess that won't be happening . Hopkins Stevenson is nice but I thought the Stevenson Kovalev was being built up nicely then the winner could fight Hopkins
    Yeah, they apparently had discussed the deal points but they took too long to close the deal and tried to stretch pennies, allowing Haymon to enter the fold.

They know he's the most powerful man in boxing. Why even let it come to that point? That's just arrogant and stupid.

It was building nicely but Stevenson had been calling out Hopkins after every fight since beating Chad Dawson for the strap. Yeah, that fight isn't worth much, but SHO investing that fight serves as a nice showcase for a unification in the fall.

In the meantime, HBO is stuck with nothing. The best thing HBO can do is start over, get another guy in charge, call a truce and get better fights.

Quote Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
    That's boxing politics for ya'. We all would love to see Sergey Kovalev v Adonis Stevenson. However, put yourself in the place of each guy. They want to make a few bucks before risking it all. Kovalev thinks he can beat Stevenson. Stevenson thinks he can beat Kovalev. They would probably each sign on the dotted line if their managers/advisors told them to. But, they're gonna' tease us a little and make us wait, and take on Fonfara & Agnew a & maybe a few more names before taking on each other.

It's business.

It's boxing politics.

It's HBO vs Showtime.

It's Golden Boy v Top Rank.

But now it's looking like it's Golden Boy v The Feds.

Now, that's a whole different story!

-Randy G.
    Do tell! Sounds interesting? Why are they in trouble, because of the Canelo promotional situation?

#RandysRumorMill