English Español
Advertisement
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Here's My Position On The Mayweather Poll

Re: Here's My Position On The Mayweather Poll

Actually I was gonna comment, but I just kept it to myself...

Floyd is leaps and bounds so far ahead of fighters in the "outside the ring" area, he continues to do things that other fighters don't do...

I was talking to someone about boxing and Andre Ward's name came up, and the guy said "you talking about the guy who fought Dawson a few years back?"

I was stuck, because Floyd being the number 1 P4P in the world is 100x bigger in popularity that the #2 (Andre Ward)

I think Floyd and he people are focused on making the "Biggest events" and sometimes those are necessarily the "best fights."

This sham of a poll is just plain disrespectful to the boxing fans IMO. How can this be "letting the fans decide" when the fans choice is not even an option. It's like a poorly executed managerial technique to let his employees "feel" important and in control.

But one thing is for sure, Amir Khan is an international boxing star, make no mistake about it.
    You're dead wrong that Khan is an international star. He is about as popular in England as the ebola virus. Where else do you think all the pay-per-view revenue befitting such a star will come from if not the UK and the US? He is nowhere NEAR the draw you think he is, trust me.

Having said that, some people in England might pay to watch him get beat. That could happen. but compared to Hatton, for example, Khan's fan base - of people who will actually part with their cash to support him - is negligible.

Actually I gotta say, this article is way off base.

If our opinions made a difference to Mayweather, the businessman, he would have fought Manny Pacquiao ten times by now.
    So you're saying here that Floyd the businessman ignored the fans re the Pacquiao fight because he is all about the business. But...if he cares so much about the business, he'd have fought Manny for that reason too! Yeah you're right, boxing is a business; and Pacquiao-Mayweather would be the biggest business in boxing history. So something's up with your logic there.

Also, if it's all business, then why fight Guerrero? Where's his fan base? From a business persepctive, fighting Manny makes ten times as much sense as fighting Robert.

I didn't wanna sound like a Khan Hater, but I remember the Ricky Hatton/Floyd fight and Hattons fans were going crazy, they actually were still singing after Ricky got KO'd, and I just don't see fans riding for Khan like that....

I think Khan is more Popular than Chino, but an international Superstar, IDK if he's that big a celebrity...

You don't have to be boxing's version of a sooth-sayer to know that everybody wants to see the Maidana fight (given the limited choice). So I'm surprised and a little confused by all these guys on facebook screaming out for Khan.

Personally I think the whole Poll business is bogus... Possibly an elaborate scheme to get a positive spin out of Floyds choice to fight Khan.
    Last time I checked neither Broner (who has a rematch clause), Schaefer, of Mayweather had anything substantial to say...

If they blow it, (by picking the wrong guy), Floyds going to have to get on that 100 foot tightrope, without a net.
    he'll have to fight King-Kong (Thurman, Lara, or GGG) next time to bring the viewers back to PPV.

Speaking of Lara and GGG, there's a story on BS about Lara's supposedly asking for GGG, Lara's Manager DeCubas says there shouldn't be a hard time clearing it with Al (The Shadow) Haman to do the fight on HBO... but are the rewards worth GGG going down to 154?,.. Or will Lara have to move up to 160? These conundrums and more vex my mind as we await the outcome of this unexpected challenge.

I say right now that Lara has no chance at 160, he will be caught hard enough to end the fight.

but at 154, the odds become much more favorable to Lara.

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    Speaking of Lara and GGG, there's a story on BS about Lara's supposedly asking for GGG, Lara's Manager DeCubas says there shouldn't be a hard time clearing it with Al (The Shadow) Haman to do the fight on HBO... but are the rewards worth GGG going down to 154?,.. Or will Lara have to move up to 160? These conundrums and more vex my mind as we await the outcome of this unexpected challenge.

I say right now that Lara has no chance at 160, he will be caught hard enough to end the fight.

but at 154, the odds become much more favorable to Lara.
    Lara's a big '54. He turned pro at middleweight. Although he claims he can make '47 and would do so for Floyd. But according to himself, he would go to 160 to give GGG the #CubanClinic as he calls it.

His Twitter is hilarious, btw. So is Maidana's.

To be honest, it looks like Lara's using that dirty trick the other guys do by attaching themselves to a guy's name where they know it's impossible for them to fight, under the current circumstances.

GGG's doing it too, Pacquiao does it, they all do it. But they pretty much know that Lara won't see airtime on HBO and GGG ain't allowed to show on SHO.

HOWEVER, if he's sincere, which he very well may be, then I hope they can make this fight. I would favor GGG though, based on what I saw vs. Angulo.

I actually think Lara has the style to bother Andre Ward. They got a similar tight defense on the inside. If he can avoid getting bullied, he can box with Ward.

Lara gets plastered by GGG.

Angulo who has slower feet than Canelo was getting to Lara all day and night.

GGG would beat the brakes off of Lara.