English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Here's My Position On The Mayweather Poll

  1. #1

    Here's My Position On The Mayweather Poll

    From what I know, Floyd Mayweather does not answer to anyone. Floyd does not answer to his business partners, to Manny Pacquiao, Top Rank, Golden Boy, or Showtime.

    Floyd Mayweather is his own boss. Remember?

    Since when did Floyd Mayweather need a poll from the fans to tell him what to do? Maybe the 37 year-old had an overnight change of heart. Maybe he doesn’t care about the money he will generate by accepting a fight with Amir Khan, which most of the boxing world has already expected to happen since November.)

    Say what you will about Amir Khan. Love him or hate him. Say he deserves a shot at King Floyd or say he has no chance. But one thing is for sure, Amir Khan is an international boxing star, make no mistake about it.
    Maybe Khan is not the biggest star in the United States. Maybe he’ll lose to Mayweather in a one-sided fight. I don’t know what will happen. Khan has lost fights. And he has speed, foot work, and natural skill that is extremely effective. We’ve seen him outbox some of the world’s best fighters. Freddie Roach claims that Khan beats Mayweather.

    We can go back and forth about the outcome of Mayweather/Khan or Mayweather/Maidana all day. That is the beauty of boxing. And no disrespect to Marcos Maidana or his fans--he is one of my favorite fighters--but no one was calling for a Mayweather/Maidana fight until Maidana beat Adrien Broner. And Maidana and Broner combined do not have more fans than Khan.

    Floyd knows Khan’s impact. And boxing is a business. We are in the fight business, my friends, the fight business. Fans choice has little to do with the boxing decisions made to benefit the boxing business. If our opinions made a difference to Mayweather, the businessman, he would have fought Manny Pacquiao ten times by now.

    Most intriguingly for Mayweather is that Khan is the most popular fighter in the UK. Khan is probably “known” more than Mayweather in other parts of the world outside of the US. Imagine an international press tour that sends Mayweather/Khan to Pakistan, England, Dubai and other exotic countries. Khan has that kind of universal pull from the public. Just follow Khan’s Instagram or Twitter accounts to see where he goes.

    Are we supposed to expect Floyd to take a Maidana fight because hardcore fight fans submit a vote on a public poll? That’s a risky financial choice for Mayweather, who likes to gamble his money on football, not boxing.

    Boxing needs anything that allows mainstream sports fans to interact. Look, I get it. And Mayweather is a marketing genius. OK. Just don’t treat me like a fool.

    On Super Bowl Sunday Floyd Mayweather announced that he will have the fans decide his next opponent. Mayweather created a poll on his website, Mayweatherpromotions.com, to allow fans to vote their choice between Khan and Maidana. On February 5th Fightnews.com reported that Marcos Maidana was winning the poll by a wide margin. The website said Maidana was winning 79% of the vote. On February 6th, Yahoo Sports reported that Maidana only had 51% of the votes. The website has roughly 20,000 votes as of this writing, and an overnight change of nearly 30% sounds a little strange. So I did some independent research on the poll and looked to see how it benefits Floyd Mayweather outside of boxing. The poll is generated by Lockerdome.com. Their slogan is “Collect Anything.” Before a voter submits a pick on Mayweather’s website they must sign into their Facebook or Twitter account and authorize Lockerdome.com to update their personal profile, post tweets, and see who they follow and who follows them. Mayweather and Lockerdome.com will have access to every users' likes and dislikes. Facebook does the same thing. When you “Like” something on Facebook they know to target you. If you are a football fan and have liked your favorite team's fan page don’t be surprised to see ads that target your interests.

    This is the future of marketing. By doing this future opponent poll, Floyd is building a database of super fans. Now he can create content and merchandising for engaged followers because he knows their interests and curiosities. It’s genius. It’s smart business. Floyd is changing the game once again. But I’m not falling for it. Don’t waste my time. I have enough of my personal information on the Internet.

    You can email Ray Markarian on Twitter @raymarkarian or email him at Raymond.Markarian@yahoo.com


  2. #2
    Advanced Users the Roast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Outskirts of Chicago
    Posts
    2,366

    Re: Here's My Position On The Mayweather Poll

    Not one comment from anyone all day about anything? Thats just plain odd.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,397

    Re: Here's My Position On The Mayweather Poll

    Lol Floyd is just trying to distract everyone from the fact that he lost 10 big ones because of Seattle's physical play.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,791

    Re: Here's My Position On The Mayweather Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by the Roast View Post
    Not one comment from anyone all day about anything? Thats just plain odd.
    I know right, I thought the same thing yesterday when I logged on a very few three times. Maybe the polar vortex is freezing all of our minds....

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,791

    Re: Here's My Position On The Mayweather Poll

    Either way they better come up with another loaded card if they want some good sales for 75$.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,757

    Re: Here's My Position On The Mayweather Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by the Roast View Post
    Not one comment from anyone all day about anything? Thats just plain odd.
    It's really hard talking about mayweather these days. It's like seeing the same guy at the diner every morning. Blah blah blah yada yada yada. Mayweather defers to al Haymon sometimes other times he says he makes all decisions. Either way the joke fight of Zimmerman dmx gets more worldwide attention. It is a joke and the populace should not even really know who Zimmerman is.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    South Beach
    Posts
    3,599

    Re: Here's My Position On The Mayweather Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by Carmine Cas View Post
    Lol Floyd is just trying to distract everyone from the fact that he lost 10 big ones because of Seattle's physical play.
    He didn't, CC...

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    South Beach
    Posts
    3,599

    Re: Here's My Position On The Mayweather Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by Editor Mike View Post

    On Super Bowl Sunday Floyd Mayweather announced that he will have the fans decide his next opponent. Mayweather created a poll on his website, Mayweatherpromotions.com, to allow fans to vote their choice between Khan and Maidana. On February 5th Fightnews.com reported that Marcos Maidana was winning the poll by a wide margin. The website said Maidana was winning 79% of the vote. On February 6th, Yahoo Sports reported that Maidana only had 51% of the votes. The website has roughly 20,000 votes as of this writing, and an overnight change of nearly 30% sounds a little strange. So I did some independent research on the poll and looked to see how it benefits Floyd Mayweather outside of boxing. The poll is generated by Lockerdome.com. Their slogan is “Collect Anything.” Before a voter submits a pick on Mayweather’s website they must sign into their Facebook or Twitter account and authorize Lockerdome.com to update their personal profile, post tweets, and see who they follow and who follows them. Mayweather and Lockerdome.com will have access to every users' likes and dislikes. Facebook does the same thing. When you “Like” something on Facebook they know to target you. If you are a football fan and have liked your favorite team's fan page don’t be surprised to see ads that target your interests.

    This is the future of marketing. By doing this future opponent poll, Floyd is building a database of super fans. Now he can create content and merchandising for engaged followers because he knows their interests and curiosities. It’s genius. It’s smart business. Floyd is changing the game once again. But I’m not falling for it. Don’t waste my time. I have enough of my personal information on the Internet.
    I was with you until this. This. Ugh.

    Ugh.....

    The 30% increase has a very simple explanation. Khan started promoting it to his followers, most of whom are outside the Americas.

    This explains why Maidana's votes go up while the UK and Middle East are asleep. And vice versa.

    The idea of collecting data? Yes, you're right. To think it has anything to do with Floyd collecting data, I don't think that has much validity.

    They sell that info to marketers. Floyd's not selling them anything so it has no benefit to him. Unless they cut a deal of some sort. Yet, that deal would be so insignificant due to the small number of voters. #AwfulThesis

    People should be more worried about Facebook. Or simple news sites who collect information about you -- which they then use to sell to marketers.

    (They're just now starting to require the disclosure of this. Before, they just collected it. The idea of going through your Facebook and Twitter to collect data is hardly new. Just go on your own Facebook and Twitter and see for yourself how many apps you have activated.)

    Floyd's REAL benefit lies in the fact that he's now generating traffic for his site, getting people to talk about it, getting people involved, while also getting some basic market research data.

    In fact, it's generating so much attention and traffic that ESPN.com decided to piggy back like some true leeches by starting their own poll, which doesn't matter one bit. ESPN is an American medium.

    That means their results are grossly misleading, as you can see.

    Anyway, the poll format is an interesting one. I think we will start seeing it more in his upcoming bouts.
    Last edited by The Shadow; 02-07-2014 at 09:48 AM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    South Beach
    Posts
    3,599

    Re: Here's My Position On The Mayweather Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by the Roast View Post
    Not one comment from anyone all day about anything? Thats just plain odd.
    Found that odd, too. Not even anything from Radam G.

    You've been mighty inactive lately, too, Roast! What's up with that???

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    160

    Re: Here's My Position On The Mayweather Poll

    We're all getting tired of Floyd, mercifully in about a year from now he'll be irrelevant as his
    clock winds down. He may actually have a lot of trouble with Khan's speed in May 2014, Floyd's
    almost 37.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •