English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collazo Drops And Stops Ortiz in Hometown Throwdown

Collazo Drops And Stops Ortiz in Hometown Throwdown

Luis Collazo pulled off a semi stunner of a win, knocking out comebacking Victor Ortiz at the Barclays Center on Thursday evening. Ortiz was coming back since getting his jaw broken in a June 2012 bout with Josesito Lopez. He got caught with a right hook in round two, after getting tagged with Collazo lefts. He hit the deck, and was on his knees, a blank look on his face as the ref counted. His eyes and brain didn't reset, and he was counted out.
    Collazo, who held a welter crown in 2004-2005, registered a pretty darned impressive second act. He's 32, and now in line for a solid money scrap.
    A deeply spiritual man, he thanked God again and again, giving credit to the man upstairs for his effort. He said he had no doubt he'd win, and he knew that Ortiz would throw wide, and he could use it against him. He referenced past hard times, and said now, he's ready to perform at peak level, and stay focused.
    "I'm not a big puncher, but I'm a hooker," he said. "A lot of people say I'm not a big puncher, but I guess they're wrong."
    And next? "I want Floyd Mayweather, in New York City, I want what the fans want!" he said.
    Ortiz after said, "I'm good, I got caught, it's no big deal. I'm just one of the fighters, I put my heart out there."

Re: Collazo Drops And Stops Ortiz in Hometown Throwdown

Maybe I'm over thinking it but Ortiz saying "It's no big deal" says alot about him. It is a big deal. This is his career, this is his future, this is his life. I think Victor will be looking for another line of work very soon.

Good for Collazo, finally getting a break through win after getting the short stick against Hatton and Berto. Slick, excellent transition from defense to offense. This kid is good, Ortiz was way too anxious and aggressive.

Advanced Users

@the Roast, Vicious-less has another line of work: "Acting!"

BTW, do you notice every fighter that leaves the Garcia Family and go to trainer Danny Smith gets KTFO?

Fernando Vargas and now Victor. BTW, Vargas is now actor himself. Maybe you have caught his reality show from Sin City. Holla!

This fight separated the boys from the men.. His comments after the Maidana fight became a self fulfilling prophesy..." I don't need this "

I think Ortiz tries to keep it light to keep himself from feeling embarrassed.

He was definitely out of control at times and throwing caution to the wind.

You gotta keep that glove on the chin when throwing a hook so you dont eat one, obviously..

If at best Ortiz is just an action, exciting fighter, then so be it. At least fans get their moneys worth.

I was going to lay some money done on collazo no matter what because I knew him from the golden gloves when he had a big Afro and couldn't grow a mustache . That said it sure seemed like easy money to pick collazo. First Ortiz quits. Once a quitter always a quiter. A front runner who goes all out but quickly folds when the other guy is still in front of him. It seems like Ortiz could of got up but just didn't want to but we will never know that. Collazo has always represented himself well and is always in there until the end no matter the circumstances. Another tell was Ortiz at the weigh in. He tried to look very hard and tried to intimidate collazo. That right there is a tell. Any boxer that ever tried that to me at the weigh in usually quit or took a knee during the fight. Dogs that bark don't bite. Add to the equation that Ortiz is rubbing shoulders in movies and he probably thinks he doesn't have to box anymore. Wonder if sly will invite him back to the big screen after this fight? Anyway I never liked Ortiz after the facts came out that he made up lies about his upbringing and his daddy. Remember when Brandon rios brought victors dad to a press conference and victors own dad said he was making things up. Family is family and you should never turn against your dad for profit motive. I would like to see rios vs Ortiz if Ortiz doesn't quit and retire. He should retire but that grudge match would be great to watch. Either way it's cool to win some money during Super Bowl weekend. Hope my numbers come up on Sunday. I got 7+ 6 and 8 +1

Advanced Users

VO is a snake! A fake. And not much more his trifling arse will many be able to take. He needs to get it together for goodness sake. The truth he cannot shake. Coming real with it, he needs to awake. Holla!

We've always suspected that Victor just didn't have the goods to be a big time fighter, now its confirmed.
    Ortiz is a likeable dude, but you can't survive in this sport without committing heart and soul 100%. It's
    definitely time for him to pursue other modes of making a living. We wish him all the best.

Ortiz has been done mentally since that Maidana fight.