English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lampley Tabs Golovkin as Fighter of the Year

Lampley Tabs Golovkin as Fighter of the Year

HBO and Jim Lampley presented their last "The Fight Game" of 2013 on Saturday night, and much ground was covered.
    Lampley kicked right into high gear, and touched on an elephant in the room that many would think he wouldn't address, the so-called "Cold War" which erupted in March, when HBO determined they were parting ways with Golden Boy and fighters repped by Al Haymon, and would do business mainly with Top Rank.
    Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated put the promoters, specifically, on blast, saying they are "absolutely sabotaging the sport" by not playing nice in the sandbox. Points to him for his candid comment, though I'm not sure if blame, if it is to be affixed, was being shared properly, as I do believe the two cablers who divvy out the majority of the dough to the promoters to deliver fights and fighters have drawn a pretty clear "do not cross line in the sand." Further, apart from the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight, which, as we've talked about before, is not being made because Mayweather doesn't want to give ex promoter Arum a taste of that pie, it isn't as though this cold war has made it so fight fans haven't been offered a fight that they've severely salivated for. OK, some ached for Donaire (Top Rank) vs. Mares (Golden Boy), but both those guys lost this year, before that wish list match-that-couldn't-be became an irritant for boxing fans. And what other ones did you lose out on because Richard Schaefer can't seem to stomach Bob Arum, and HBO got tired of Al Haymon's mini-monopoly on the best and brightest, and his apparently overwhelming acumen when it comes to negotiating on behalf of his boxers?
    Me, I think this cold war made all those suits dig down, toughen up, get revitalized and boost their competitive juices. Shoot, you had the best year of fights in recent memory, and it occurred during this Cold War, and are stamping your feet and demanding the return to the way things where? Not sure that's the height of common sense there...
    Next, Lampley called Floyd Mayweather The Fight Game Person of the Year. He said Mayweather could well fight Amir Khan next, and called that a bomb on Twitter already, perhaps cementing Stephen Espinoza's vote for TFG as Program He Most Wishes Should Be Cancelled.
    Lampley looked ahead to Floyd at 50, to his 50th win and then pivoted to the Fight of the Year; he touched on Bradley-Provodnikov, and said that Bradley became a "sympathetic figure" with his effort in that see-saw battle. Scenes from the Alvarado-Rios scrap were shown, and Lamps said that the Broner-Maidana scrap lacked drama at the scorecard turn-in.
    The host said the Bradley-Provodnikov is his FOY, because you will remember it longer than the Pacquiao-Rios tangle.
    The Emanuel Steward Trainer of the Year honor was bestowed upon Freddie Roach, who tutored Manny Pacquiao and Ruslan Provodnikov and Miguel Cotto. We didn't see a clip of Freddie's scrap with Alex Ariza, alas...
    Guillermo Rigondeaux' work against Nonito Donaire and Joseph Agbeko was shown. He was outside the Lamps Top 5, though Floyd Mayweather, Andre Ward, Manny Pacquiao, Timothy Bradley, Gennady ("the future threat to Andre Ward") Golovkin made the cut. Max Kellerman spoke up for Rigo, who he lumped in with Floyd, Sweetpea Whitaker and Roy Jones. Max said Bradley is his Fighter of the Year, calling his fight with Provodnikov "epic." Mikey Garcia? He had a "great year," Max said. The analyst said Adonis Stevenson had a stellar year, but Sergey Kovalev was a notch better, and the best light heavy in the world, in Max's view. Danny Garcia got love from Max, who called him a "tremendous fighter." Max said Golovkin is a "dominant fighter," and he "suspects" he's a top pound for pound fighter.
    Gennady Golovkin was chosen as Lamps' Fighter of the Year. He had love for Golovkins' "tortured" English, and the kids' skills.
    Lamps' Gatti list had Ruslan Provodnikov, followed by Evgeny Gradovich, Sergei Kovalev, Marcos Maidana, who scored the upset of the year, and James Kirkland.
    PEDs got some exposure. It was quieter year for positives, he noted. But Brandon Rios got nicked, the host said, so there's work to be done. Guys like Andre Ward, Sergey Kovalev, Gennady Golovkin, Mikey Garcia and Adonis Stevenson, to name five, he said, should and could embrace full-time testing. Of those gents, I think it's fair to say hardcore fight fans are most curious about Ward's 2014 stance on PED testing, after he dismissed a call for stringent testing by his last foe, Edwin Rodriguez, as a mere publicity push.
    Vitali Klitschko's entry to full-time politics was discussed, as was Nelson Mandela's exit from this realm. Lampley said that Mandela noted that in-the-ring combat was a theater, intended partly to underscore the notion that war, the ultimate combat, was and is intolerable, and then bid viewers holiday salutations.
    Follow Woods on Twitter.

Re: Lampley Tabs Golovkin as Fighter of the Year

Kovalev IS the best light heavy in my opinion .. Bhop must think so.... He pretty much ignored SK and jumped RIGHT on Shumenov as a possible next opponent without hesitation.

Other interesting noises being made as the year closes.

Mares's willingness to cross enemy lines to do battle with Rigo.
    But can he overcome his Feb rematch with Gonzales?....not likely but I hope so.

As expected... Rios is pushing for the inevitable battle-between-bangers with fellow slugger Provodnikov... Personally speaking (and don't get the idea that I'm a huge humanitarian)...I think the last thing Rios needs is a fight with another heavy-hitter.

And not surprisingly Maidana is angling for a fight with Mayweather.

Speaking of Mayweather...it seems that Floyd's strategy for attracting paying customers for his 2014 PPV show will be to enlist some of the biggest names in boxing to fight on the undercard.
    This will be an absolute necessity if he intends to get the American and Hispanic audience interested enough to shell out $70 plus to watch Mayweather vs Khan (or Maidana)

Finally Wilder is calling out Derrick Chisora which would be a huge step up, it will be interesting to see if the British Brawler heeds the call(and if his promoter allows the fight to go down)

speaking of the state of the heavyweight division after the The Boss of all current heavyweights retires to a life of political intrigue(Vitality K).... I think the division is finally going to become hot again as more and more competent heavyweights like Perez ... Joshua.... become increasingly acclimated to the pro tanks as they pour in from the amateurs. 2014 could be the best year we've seen in regards to the heavyweight division in 20 years.

Advanced Users

I don't see it, B-Sug! All I see is more deception from Wilder. The Redcoat Derrick Chisora is a softy. The 'Bama would tag him on the chin in the very first round and put him to sleep.

Wilder should just MAN up and fight "The Cali Crusher" Cris Arreola for Doc VK's vacant WBC crown.

Wilder is in the hyped-up-fighter protection plan. Let the dude step up and see if he is a man. I think that he just has the cojones for beating the arses of Sin City's working girls. Holla!

Advanced Users

This was J-Lamp's weakest show. He didn't fade to dark for the year with BANG, BANG, BAAAANNGGG!!! But a hang. The jive talking of Max sounded like a loss from a one-man gang. Calling Bradley the Fighter of the Year for a gift and a lift was quite strange. Holla!

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    Kovalev IS the best light heavy in my opinion .. Bhop must think so.... He pretty much ignored SK and jumped RIGHT on Shumenov as a possible next opponent without hesitation.
    Suge, don't believe that. It's akin to discussing a vacation to Cuba. Sure, it may be nice but it's not exactly viable at this point.

Keep in mind Kovalev is an HBO fighter. It makes no sense to call for that match. He accepted him as an opponent when he was the mandatory but Duva & Co. WISELY steered him in the direction of Cleverly where he could pick up an easy title.

While I'm sure they believe he CAN beat B-Hop, history suggests using B-Hop as your springboard to superstardom is and has always been a terrible idea.

A long list of souls are lost from that undertaking -- no pun intended.

B-Hop us trying to solve the issue. The old man is crazy, he wants to fight everybody. He's adamantly called out Froch, even dared Triple G to take the challenge.

His big goal is to unify all the titles. If he gets the WBA and the IBF, that might put some pressure on HBO or Yvon Michel to let Stevenson unify the original Big Three Titles with Hopkins' eventual WBA and IBF.

That would be HUGE. Especially in Montreal, where Hopkins is a strong household name.

A different outcome could see Stevenson and Kovalev unify those two belts, which would make a WBA/IBF and WBC/WBO unification clash a mouthwatering spectacle of an event.

If that equation includes B-Hop, that sh*t needs to go on PPV. Imagine that ending to your career?? Becoming the first man to hold all four belts (+ the Ring belt) at once in TWO divisions as a 50 YEAR OLD MAN!

He's the only one to do so already, having accomplished that feat at middleweight. But at 50? That's Trinidad all over again. Times 10.

WOW! That's his dream scenario. I consider WBA/WBC/IBF undisputed but that scenario would be incredible.

I liked the point Max was making. People get too caught up in the entertainment aspect once the bell rings.

Everything that happens before a fight or even after is Hollywood. Entertainment. Promotions.

But first and foremost, the sport of boxing is an athletic competition. Therefore, athletic dominance should be applauded over anything else.

While I want to preface my next point by saying that I'm a huge fan of Jim Lampley on many, many different levels and my next comment is not a knock on him, per se, but rather an observation of the underlying paradigm -- the boxing zeitgeist, if you will.

Jim Lampley made the argument that because Rigo hasn't yet been tested, he doesn't belong in the upper echelon of mythical pound-for-pound rankings.

Here's the issue with that. In spite of my respect for him professionally, Lampley's argument is not only without merit, it's also inherently contradictory (from a sporting and logical standpoint), utterly fallacious and actually -- actually -- borders on idiocy.

Let's not forget Rigo soundly dominated the highest ranking P4P'er in and around his weight class, who came in fight night as a welterweight to boot. That doesn't make him untested. That makes him [superlative] (insert whichever you see fit).

End. Of. Story.

I'm glad Max Kellerman called him out on it and used sound facts to do so.

That said, it's always more exciting to watch a shootout. In any sport.

But winning > everything else.

So let's applaud the winners.

Post scriptum:

Here's an interesting interview with Bernard Hopkins about the aforementioned paradigm of boxing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxmP_hhADaQ
    Last edited by The Shadow; 12-23-2013 at 04:00 PM.

"Sugar Ray Robinson would be boring today": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUa0Tcv_R08

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    "Sugar Ray Robinson would be boring today": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUa0Tcv_R08
    That is a boxing sermon for the ages.

"Customers will drink anything you give them, if it's promoted right." - Bernard Hopkins.

"Customers are being fed that if a fighters ducks [punches], don't buy it. If a guy wins nine out of 12 rounds because the other guy can't hit him, [they say] 'he's not crowd-pleasing! He don't sell tickets!' Because that's what they fed the customers." - Bernard Hopkins, on the media-perpetuated self-fulfilling prophecy of the sweet science.