English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ALERT! 2nd Ali-King Essay Contest For Aspiring Boxing Writers, and Boxers

ALERT! 2nd Ali-King Essay Contest For Aspiring Boxing Writers, and Boxers

SARTONK has launched the second annual Ali-King Award. Named after Martin Luther King, Jr. and Muhammad Ali, this essay contest is intended to promote literacy and critical thinking among boxing youth. Boxers and aspiring boxing writers are invited to submit essays on one of five topics, ranging from the social significance of boxing to comparative analyses of Ali and King.
    “We want to encourage boxers to train their minds, as well as, their bodies,” comments Hasmig Tatiossian, Executive Manager at SARTONK. “By thinking about the lives that Ali and King led, we’d also like them to recognize the links between boxing and social consciousness,” she adds.

The Ali-King Award is sponsored by boxing’s international sanctioning bodies (WBA, IBF, WBO, IBO) as well as, prominent organizations and gyms. This year, SARTONK is proud to announce that the Wu Tang Brand -- the official brand of the hip hop pioneers and urban cultural icons -- has also decided to sponsor the project. “We’re proud of Wu-Tang’s involvement,” remarks Ed Majian, President at SARTONK. “First, it highlights the cultural relevance of boxing and, second, it speaks to the fact that Wu-Tang, the legendary music phenomenon, champions the virtues of literacy and critical thinking as pathways to personal and social transformation.”

The Awardees, to be honored at Gleason’s Boxing Gym in Brooklyn, NY, will each receive SARTONK’s exclusive Ali-King Statue, a book stipend, and a certificate bearing the logos of all the sponsors. The first place winner will have the opportunity to train and lunch with a former Champion at Gleason’s Gym. “We’re grateful to all of our sponsors for recognizing the importance of this project. A special thanks to Bruce Silverglade, President of Gleason’s, who’s welcomed this project from day one and has generously opened the gym to us,” expresses Tatiossian.

Essay submissions will be evaluated by a panel of judges (TBA) composed of boxing writers, boxers, and educators. They are due by midnight, Dec. 18, 2013.

For more information, including eligibility requirements, rules, and essay topics, please visit www.sartonk.com/ali-king.

Socialize your support for SARTONK onTwitter,Instagram, andFacebook.

Re: ALERT! 2nd Ali-King Essay Contest For Aspiring Boxing Writers, and Boxers

Here you go, Grimm! You should take a shot at this since you have a way with words, a way of telling a story...Haha, don't mean to put you on the spot, but your posts are some of the one's I look forward to reading when I visit TSS.
    Courage is not the absence of fear, it's action in the face of fear.

Quote Originally Posted by ultimoshogun View Post
    Here you go, Grimm! You should take a shot at this since you have a way with words, a way of telling a story...Haha, don't mean to put you on the spot, but your posts are some of the one's I look forward to reading when I visit TSS.
    Agreed.

Grimm uses the coolest slang on the TSS... can't wait to use the term "groomers" in a sentence.

Thanks, I'm truly glad you appreciate them. You and the other regulars here are what makes this place special.

Speaking of stories: I once studied to be a journalist. I dreamed of making the headlines, uncover hidden truths, be the second coming of Gunther Wallraff. In reality, I ended up, well, covering clowns visiting town with a circus, and other heavy topics. But yeah, in a way and among other things I am a writing man, though only available in a language that merely 0.1% of the world population understands...if I got the math right.

It shows Grimm...
    I can see why you want(ed) to go down that path.

How about an essay written by Bernie Campbell? Wouldn't that be something, friscoes? I'd KILL to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    How about an essay written by Bernie Campbell? Wouldn't that be something, friscoes? I'd KILL to read it.
    Agreed, Bernie Campbell knows his history. Not sure if you've read this before, but its the winning essay from a contest last year. http://www.thesweetscience.com/news/...boxing-brokenq
    Courage is not the absence of fear, it's action in the face of fear.

Look at those comments after the article Ultimo, you get a classic Deepwater story and some sour grapes from the Roast. Ahhh those were the days....

Quote Originally Posted by the Roast View Post
    Look at those comments after the article Ultimo, you get a classic Deepwater story and some sour grapes from the Roast. Ahhh those were the days....
    Haha, yeah I did when I re-read it a while ago. Did deepwater really get the banhammer? I remember someone said he may have on another thread.

CAn someone give me the story on why he got banned and what he did that was so offensive?