English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I The Only One Here Excited About A Potential Cotto/Canelo Fight?

Am I The Only One Here Excited About A Potential Cotto/Canelo Fight?

I know this news is several days old, but I'm surprised there's no thread or article of it here. I'm sure you all know GBP offered Cotto $10 million or more to fight Canelo in March,so I was wondering what the TSS universe thought of the potential matchup...do you like it? Would you rather see Cotto fight Martinez? Who's your early Fave? What are the consequences facing the future of Canelo/Cotto's career's should they lose?
    Courage is not the absence of fear, it's action in the face of fear.

Re: Am I The Only One Here Excited About A Potential Cotto/Canelo Fight?

Absolutely no offense meant, but it would only hold fairly moderate interest for me: maybe a 6.5 to 7 on a scale of 1 to 10.

Agreed...Ultimo.... Canelo vs Cotto is very hot .
    .especially from a statistical point of view....who would win between these two Floyd Mayweather casualties of war? Earning the 2nd place position next to Floyd from a boxing perspective in the eyes of the fans is almost worth dying for. (Whether or not you perceive the winner as being no.#2 or not has no bearing on public perception)
    The passion displayed in a fight between these two would be on a scale of magnitude that would rival Corrales vs Castillo... Mexico vs Puerto Rico....nobody does it better.

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    Agreed...Ultimo.... Canelo vs Cotto is very hot .
    .especially from a statistical point of view....who would win between these two Floyd Mayweather casualties of war? Earning the 2nd place position next to Floyd from a boxing perspective in the eyes of the fans is almost worth dying for. (Whether or not you perceive the winner as being no.#2 or not has no bearing on public perception)
    The passion displayed in a fight between these two would be on a scale of magnitude that would rival Corrales vs Castillo... Mexico vs Puerto Rico....nobody does it better.
    Agreed. And it might be the first non-heavyweight PPV without a Mayweather, Pac, or De La Hoya on the bill to surpass 1 million buys.

Boy oh boy, was just telling another boxing friend how excited I was about the possibility of this match up. It's a lock for great event, great fight. Guaranteed fireworks. Love it.

If SouthPaul is on board ... It must happen!!
    $10 Million Dollars versus a bird in the bush?(Martinez) ...c'mon Cotto!!.

I think it is a great matchup and i would favor cotto to beat canelo.

i would also favor martinez to beat cotto. although sm is fading and roache is a great improvement for cotto i cannot count him out.

cotto should go for canelo first and then sergio later.

I am a HUGE Cotto guy so a fight with Martinez or Canelo excites me. As much as Cotto is my dude, if Martinez comes back in near his form of 3 years ago I think Cotto gets blistered. As for the Canelo fight, I think Canelo takes him as well. As much as the new-old Cotto (hard charging, body punching) is great he is still able to be hit and hit alot. This is in addition to the fact that his training is much more offensive focused with Roach. It can be see through the present stable of Freddie Roach fighters; they are good to great fighters but easy to hit as well. That is a bad trait to have against a hard hitting Canelo or a pot shot and dance Martinez. I hope I am wrong though.

TGD, i dont think canelo is a great fighter, i think he is a good fighter and not a great boxer. floyd boxed his ears off. yes i know floyd is the best boxer on the planet, but i can see a good cotto who boxed and fought with floyd and gave floyd some fits, could out box canelo.
    i can see a healthy sergio box him and win decisively. sergio has really good power when hes not boxing and moving all over the ring. when he sits down that left hand is nothing anyone wants to eat.
    either way these are good matchups.

If Cotto fights Canelo and loses, there's no Martinez. He can fight Martinez and even if he loses, he doesn't lose that much stock. He can go back to 154, beat a guy like K9, say the weight was too much and he's right back in the mix for a Canelo fight.

Let's look at the numbers, scenarios and possible outcomes:

He has two options: A) Canelo and B) Martinez

Option A = $10m. It's a 50/50 fight. If he loses to Canelo, his pay scale goes down. Cotto will take more heat than Canelo will get credit.

Now, if he loses a close decision, there's always a rematch for similar money. But after that, that's it. He's done.

Option B = $6-7m. About a 40/60 fight for Cotto. Should the PPV sell well and he doesn't get totally dominated, Option A will still be there for the same money.

Should he beat Martinez, he has even more leverage since he's now the middleweight champion and a bout with Mayweather instead for $12m.

Once he loses that, he still has a fight with Canelo waiting, which will net him another $10m. From there, they can squeeze out a rematch, no matter the result, because Cotto was proven to still have it.

So basically, Option B, the most likely outcomes are:

- Fighting Martinez in a valiant, but losing effort. (approx. $7m)

- Fighting Canelo twice in two PPV blockbusters. ($20m)

- Should he emerge victorious, a rematch with Mayweather. ($12m)

That's $40 million.

Now, should he win against Martinez, Floyd awaits for maybe $15m since he now has the legitimate middleweight championship.

Hypothetically speaking, should he beat Mayweather, there's another $15m. But even if/once he loses again, Canelo awaits, probably with the WBC title at this point.

It just makes more sense to fight a wounded Martinez and take a crack at history. Quillin has the weak a** WBO belt and that's not a PPV fight.

I think it's a pretty obvious decision to make.