English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maybe Pacquiao Should Fight Bradley Again If He Beats Rios

Maybe Pacquiao Should Fight Bradley Again If He Beats Rios

It's amazing how in professional sports things are week to week, or game to game. The same thing holds true in boxing, being that perceptions and opinions are fight to fight.
    Two weeks ago it seemed as if it would be senseless for Manny Pacquiao 54-5-2 (38) to fight a rematch with WBO welterweight title holder Timothy Bradley 31-0 (12). However, if Pacquiao beats Brandon Rios 31-1-1 (23; the two are pictured in Will Hart-HBO photo from their NYC presser this summer) next month, a rematch with Bradley just may be the best option for Manny if he can't finagle a way to coax Floyd Mayweather 45-0 (26) into fighting him.
    Getting by Rios is in no way a given for Pacquiao. Brandon is as tough as they come and if Pacquiao has eroded physically, it will be very pronounced against Rios' aggressive and rough style. However, if Pacquiao is the fighter he was versus Juan Manuel Marquez 56-7-1 (40) in his last fight before he got caught with the best punch Marquez has ever landed and was stopped, he should get by Rios because he is clearly a tier better fighter. So where does Pacquiao turn if he beats Rios?
    Some would say he still has a score to settle with Marquez, but what is in it for him to gain? Their first three fights were extremely close and there's a case to be made for either one as to who won. When they met for the fourth time, Manny was working Marquez over, had his face busted up and bleeding and looked as if he was a round or two away from halting Marquez for the first time. Then Marquez caught him with a counter right hand at the end of the sixth round that was heard around the boxing world and knocked him out. If they fought again it would most likely go the distance and the decision would be disputed. And with Marquez being clearly out-boxed by Bradley earlier this month, Pacquiao has nothing to gain by defeating his 40 year old career rival at this stage of the game.
    Enter Timothy Bradley.
    In Bradley's last three fights he's won a disputed decision over Pacquiao, showed all the heart in the world and survived a war in out-pointing Ruslan Provodnikov, who may be one of the best attackers in professional boxing. And in his last bout, he out-boxed Marquez more thoroughly and completely than Pacquiao ever did over the course of the 42 rounds he and Marquez have fought. That's pretty impressive on Bradley's part and more noteworthy than what Pacquiao or Marquez have accomplished over their last three fights. Bradley always shows up in great condition, has fast hands, an improving boxing aptitude, takes a good punch and possess a willing heart and will do whatever he needs to in order to win. On top of that Bradley has officially defeated Pacquiao.
    In regards to their fight back in June of last year, Bradley was the benefactor of a split decision verdict, with two judges scoring it 115-113 in his favor and the third judge seeing it the opposite, 115-113 Pacquiao. A score of 115-113 on points works out to be 7-5 in rounds. So basically the fight was one round away from being scored a draw on all three judges scorecards, which indicates how close and tough the fight was to score.
    I have maintained as long as I've followed or been involved with the sport of boxing that the only score that counts when scoring a fight is the score you tabulated the night of the fight when you watched it live and in the moment before you knew the result. Going back and re-watching fights is something we all do. The problem with that is we know the result and also know that fighter B survived that big left-hook in the fourth round when the crowd was yelling and he looked like he was really shook and in trouble. Watching the replay you see that fighter A didn't do as much scoring as you thought as he did while watching the fight in the moment. I can think of several fights that I saw in person or on TV that when I went back and re-watched them, turns out the bout was closer than I remembered it being. Hagler-Leonard is a perfect example. Watching it live I thought Leonard took Hagler to school and gave him a boxing lesson. Watching it again a few months back it was closer than I remembered it to be the night I watched it live without knowing which way it was gonna go. Too bad. The only score that matters is the one I concluded the night of the fight. Like the judges, we only get one chance to score any fight live, and that's all that counts. The night I watched Hagler-Leonard in the moment I thought it was a clean win for Leonard. So Leonard must have done enough while the fight was unfolding to sway me because I know what I'm watching and how to score a fight.
    The night I watched Pacquiao-Bradley live, I was adamant that Manny won the fight by two or three points. I thought Bradley appeared to be shook a few times and looked as if he was fighting to survive more than to win. And in the time that has passed since many other fight observers saw it the same way. Almost every time the Pacquiao-Bradley clash is mentioned, it's followed by words such as "controversial or disputed decision in Bradley's favor." Having said that, I believe Pacquiao-Bradley is another example as to why you can only count the score you came up with while watching it live because on tape it looks a little different. I received more than a few e-mails from people whose boxing opinion I respect who have gone back and watched Pacquiao-Bradley again and see it a little differently. So I did that and you know what, despite it meaning nothing as to what I saw when I watched it live, I see it closer and closer every time I've watched the tape. No, I don't think Bradley won, but I'm more open to hearing the case that he did than I was before. And even though my mind hasn't changed as to who won, I'm not sure that Pacquiao beat Bradley beyond all doubt and would like to see them lock up one more time. Bradley has improved and is more confident and fought better down the stretch of the bout against Pacquiao and Manny just may have something to prove that he clearly did beat Bradley the first time.
    I really don't want to see Mayweather-Pacquiao because it's four years over due, but I know a majority of the boxing world wants to see it. I've maintained that Floyd would've beat Manny fours years ago and would handle him more easily now. Regardless, Mayweather-Pacquiao is the biggest fight in combat sports, so if Pacquiao beats Rios he should go after Mayweather.
    But if he can't get Mayweather, Bradley wants him again and Pacquiao should look at him as his next best option if he wants to continue fighting. At this point, Bradley is still technically undefeated, he's got wins over both Pacquiao and Marquez, holds a title, beat a hot property in Provodnikov, and there's nobody else whose credentials are as solid.
    Frank Lotierzo can be contacted at GlovedFist@Gmail.com

Advanced Users

Re: Maybe Pacquiao Should Fight Bradley Again If He Beats Rios

No hunger for Bradley. Let him starve on his sick illusion of beating of Da Manny. Holla!

Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post
    No hunger for Bradley.
    Almost feel bad saying it, but me neither. I greatly respect his work ethic, and he's certainly effective at winning on points in the ring, but ... well, you said it, I don't have that hunger to see him in action that I do for some others.

At this point in his career, who else is there for Pacquiao to fight? With the Cold War still going on, Pacquiao's list of potential opponents shrinks. Forget Marquez. Bradley is probably the only PPV-worthy opponent that the public will pay to see him fight. That being said, he has to get by Rios first.

Bradley is too boring, hell he was boring to watch in the Pac fight. Pac is an action fighter so you know that is truly saying something when you have the ability to make a pac fight less exciting.

the guy is just NOT a ppv fighter.

he did enough to win the jmm fight and i understand that, but he just doesnt bring any excitement to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    At this point in his career, who else is there for Pacquiao to fight? With the Cold War still going on, Pacquiao's list of potential opponents shrinks. Forget Marquez. Bradley is probably the only PPV-worthy opponent that the public will pay to see him fight. That being said, he has to get by Rios first.
    i agree the cold war is just hurting the sport and diminishing non hardcore fans.

i would watch another pac and jmm fight but im not asking for it...

if pac fights bradley again it better be on regular HBO

If Pacman shines against Rios, the only fight to make is Mayweather. All the interested parties realize that this could
    eclipse Canelo/Mayweather in revenue. Bob Arum will lead the way to get the fight done. Bradley can continue to
    build his fanbase against some of the younger guns.

Admit it, fellas: there's an interesting storyline to Pacquiao-Bradley II. Will Pacquiao wipe the canvas with Bradleys face out of pure rage? Will Bradley quirk and jerk his way to another widely disliked decision? And will Bradleys boasting reach never-before-seen heights?

Advanced Users

Da Manny does not need Bradley or shot Marquez. He whup Bradley and was beating Hulkquez inside of Marquez so badly that Marquez is now SHOT! Don't act like yall didn't see it in the last bout. Inside of Hulkquez, Marquez had that deadman's double bouncing in his steps. And, as the fight wore on, Marquez had the zombie stumbling and almost tumbling. He couldn't find Big Foot Bradley.

There are fighters out there for Da Manny to fight besides Money May, Bradley or Marquez/Hulkquez.

Grimm is right about one thing, though. Da Manny is in "pure rage" nowadays. He has the killer instinct back. Gone is that "Born Again" passive nonsense. We are on the planet earth -- a violent planet of natural selection [survival of the fittest]. You can be passive when you stop pugilism. And even better when you are dirt napping.

Da Manny is back to liking the kick-arse violent version of God Who FUDGED Up pharaoh, his army, drowned his arse and his army in the Red Sea.

I'm all for Da Manny having pure rage like that Holy Jesus Who Marched into helldom and put a beatdown on the devil. I'm all for Da Manny having pure rage like Moses who whupped arses of sinners for worshipping a golden calf. I'm all for Da Manny having pure rage like Jesus Who Went into the temple and Tore up some gambling, sinning arses. I'm all for Da Manny having pure rage like Jesus Who Was Ready to Kick some arses for them wanting to stone His head ho Mary Magdalene.

Expect for "pure" raging, conducting extreme, intense violence Da Manny to rear his face in Macao and for the rest of his fighting day.

Delusional Bradley and shot Marquez didn't even do 200,000 PPV payouts in their little-more-than-a-stintfest. Da Manny is where the moolah come from, not in fighting those two-bit phonies. I was right. They cannot sell out a syetfest to flies. Holla!

Advanced Users

Crybaby Marquez is saying that he is in the hunt for a rematch with BRADLEY, because Hulkquez was robbed. Hahahaha! YUP! Right! My cousin sold my shares of the planet Mercury without my permission. I was robbed. Holla!