English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Random Boxing Bits / This 'n That / Various & Sundry / Etc.

Random Boxing Bits / This 'n That / Various & Sundry / Etc.

Thought I'd start a column for little thoughts &/or observations about boxing that don't seem substantial enough, perhaps, to merit their own thread. If this idea doesn't seem to meet with the forum's approval, I'll just let it sink to the bottom of the page and drown.

So here we go ...

I think James Toney actually looks and sounds better here than he has in several years. Good for him!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXzE-DTV_mM

Re: Random Boxing Bits / This 'n That / Various & Sundry / Etc.

Mike Tyson training clips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6zlaIl0yh0

1:27-1:35 -- All I can say about this sequence is, "Wow." What a 'manimal' (meant in a fully positive sense here). Has a fighter ever had stronger obliques than MT?
    Last edited by Hop; 10-05-2013 at 04:32 AM.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Hop View Post
    Thought I'd start a column for little thoughts &/or observations about boxing that don't seem substantial enough, perhaps, to merit their own thread. If this idea doesn't seem to meet with the forum's approval, I'll just let it sink to the bottom of the page and drown.

So here we go ...

I think James Toney actually looks and sounds better here than he has in several years. Good for him!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXzE-DTV_mM
    I'll check the video later, but I'd like to add that James fought in a historically deep division, actually the deepest, as globally the average size man could make 160 pounds, or was obligated to fight at the light-heavyweight limit of 175, if they couldn't make the 160 cut-off weight. The middleweight division gives you the punching power of the heavyweights with the speed of the little guys. It's been boxing's best division for most of its recorded history. That said, James doesn't get nearly the love he should. JT fought everybody, with outstanding results. The man did have his moments where he fought uninspired, but has a deep and accomplished resume. An all-time great of the highest order.

Quote Originally Posted by dino da vinci View Post
    The middleweight division gives you the punching power of the heavyweights with the speed of the little guys. It's been boxing's best division for most of its recorded history.
    Agree, Dino. I've always considered middleweight as the premium division of premium divisions, and the middleweight champion as the champion of champions. And of course, no division - only with some competition from ww - has had as many great fights and drama, historically.

Fellas, will you, in your kindness and patience toward that krazy "Hop" character, take this question seriously and help my conscience out (even if to you it is a joke)? Q: Do you think there is anything morally in bad taste about the following picture?

Here's why I ask: I (confess) I like it and was thinking about using it for my avatar on this site. Hearns is my favorite fighter all-time, and while I know that a "hit-man" in real life is a despicable murdering scum, I just don't take a pic like this (of Tommy) that literally. I mean, "pirates" in real life were low-life thieves and pillagers, but we name sports teams after them and our kids dress up like them for Halloween. Are we therefore minimizing the evil that they did? I don't really think so. I've always just taken that picture of Hearns as a figurative way of saying "This dude's lethal in the ring. Best beware!". In fact, when we say that someone is a "killer" in a boxing sense, we all know what we mean, right?

Anyway, I hope you won't be angry w/me for asking -- I just wanted to be appropriately sensitive (as a Christian man) to the very serious matter of real-life violence. What do y'all think?

Thanks, Hop

Last try. (^)

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Hop View Post
    Last try. (^)
    Dearest Mr. Hop,

If you want to use a cover from the late 70's, early 80's, then that's what you need to do. It wasn't even offensive30+ years ago. Hitmen exist. More so in the Roaring 20's and 30's, but existed none the less. Today in Las Vegas, they have not one but two Mob Museums. It's not a tribute to them, it just happens to be a slice of Americana.

The real concern should be how many people have died globally in the name of religion. That would be a scary, scary number. I'm thinking of a number with a lot of commas in it. Anybody care to offer a guess?

Advanced Users

Quadrillions! You will be safer with mob protection than with the "In the name of religion" in this life. No hate! Holla!
    Last edited by Radam G; 10-09-2013 at 10:48 PM.

Rad', thank you very much for your response to my misgivings (or hesitations) regarding the Hearns cover. I really appreciate someone finally taking the time to offer their thoughts. Again, thank you, and I will process it.

Quote Originally Posted by dino da vinci View Post
    The real concern should be how many people have died globally in the name of religion.
    It's interesting, Radam, just as we've talked before about 'myths' (not my favorite word for them, but I digress) that have been repeated enough that they are believed to be facts, the well-worn one about religion being the greatest cause of human death is another. No 'religious' wars have resulted in anywhere near the ghastly amount of death as did the wholesale slaughter by enemies/haters of religion, like Stalin, Hitler, Amin, etc. That is not to say that terrible things haven't been done in the name of 'religion', but 1) just b/c a person might disingenuously use religion as a tool to control doesn't mean they are true believers, right? And 2) I, for one, have never nor would ever say that "religion" is the answer. Who did Jesus have his harshest words of condemnation for? Tax-collectors and prostitutes? No! For the hypocrites. For the self-righteously religious.

FACT: Religion has been the direct, indirect, tacit or explicit cause of more fatalities than any disease, war or hitman history PUT TOGETHER.

Shoot, Christianity mainly spread through bloodshed -- and it wasn't the blood of Jesus.

Hop, you don't offend anyone with that. In a sporting sense, everything is tongue in cheek. I doubt Captain Hook offended anyone when he was wearing his utterly silly --- but equally epic -- Captain Hook outfit in his battle of the hooks vs. Jeff Lacy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS779Tqs9Fw