English Español
Advertisement
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: “This Was Not a Precise Version of Wladimir Klitschko”

Re: “This Was Not a Precise Version of Wladimir Klitschko”

Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post
    The K-bros/docs are/were in to Light Out Toney. They listened to the great, late boxing guru Manny Steward, who a 98 ditto 98 percent of the time on heavies. Holla!
    yep Manny knew that Toney was too slick and sharp for Wlad, I think he would have beaten wlad but not Vitali

It's a testament to Toney's skills that we're talking about a 5'10" natural light heavyweight beating 6'6" Wlad, that's just how good he was when motivated.

Would they have beaten Toney in 05 or 06? It slips my mind, when did he start really declining?

Quote Originally Posted by Carmine Cas View Post
    Would they have beaten Toney in 05 or 06? It slips my mind, when did he start really declining?
    in 2003 he beat holyfield, looked sharp and not worn yet and in 2005 he beat Ruiz but tested for a banned substance and a nc was the result.

What the fch do you want? A paper ballot with grammar school marks just for a fcn running mate!

Both Klitschkos were deathly afraid of Toney and both avoided him like the plague. They were very aware that they'd be KO'd by him, so they steered clear. It wasn't until the Sam Peters fights that Toney's speaking required subtitles. Before those, he was the best heavyweight in the world bar none. Even Lewis wanted absolutely nothing to do with Toney. Today Toney may not fare too well. He's punchier than Meldrick Taylor, but I suppose there's still a 30% chance he'd KO a Klitschko right now.
    Last edited by Domenic; 10-13-2013 at 03:17 PM.

I think the ref should have taken control of the fight...That was not boxing. Povetkin is right to protest...although he will never beat WK.

Regarding James Toney... No respectable heavyweight would fight a man who slurs so bad that he needs an interpreter...and on screen captions when he talks.

b-sug we were referring to toney back in the day when he first went up in weight and was still a healthy fighter who could have presented wlad some problems at hw.

i agree for now though, he should not be fighting, in fact his health is a concern in general even out of the ring.

Quote Originally Posted by amayseng View Post
    b-sug we were referring to toney back in the day when he first went up in weight and was still a healthy fighter who could have presented wlad some problems at hw.

i agree for now though, he should not be fighting, in fact his health is a concern in general even out of the ring.
    My bad ... If that's the case its up for debate... I'll always remember Toney as the man at middleweight for a short time (although he couldnt handle Jones)..don't even know how he wound up facing Samuel Peter twice.
    He was overweight...punchy .... Far past his prime and still giving heavyweights a hard time.