English Español
Advertisement

Thread: Sergio Martinez To Meet Pope Francis

Sergio Martinez To Meet Pope Francis

MIDDLEWEIGHT KINGPIN SERGIO "MARAVILLA" MARTINEZ TO MEET
    POPE FRANCIS IN UNPRECEDENTED PRIVATE ONE-ON-ONE SITDOWN AT THE VATICAN

New York, NY(10/8/2013) - Next Wednesday, Middleweight Champion and pound-for-pounder Sergio "Maravilla" Martinez will have the opportunity of a lifetime when he sits down one-on-one with Pope Francis. The meeting between the two Argentineans will take place at the Vatican, and will mark the first time a professional fighter has had a one-on-one closed session meeting with the Pope since Muhammad Ali.

Martinez, who intends to speak about his anti-bullying and domestic violence against women campaigns, is absolutely ecstatic about the meeting.
    "In the past couple of months, I will have had two of my dreams as a Catholic come true, to visit the Basilica of our Lady Guadalupe in Mexico and to be received by the Pope. I will be asking the Pope for blessings and spiritual protection to all of those who enter the ring," said Martinez.
    "In his short time as leader of the Catholic Church, this gentle Pope from Argentina has already changed the dialogue of his people. I am thrilled that Sergio will have a private audience with Pope Francis and that he will be able to discuss his campaigns against bullying and domestic violence," said promoter Lou DiBella.
    "Sergio Martinez continues to make history in our sport by having this historic meeting with Pope Francis. I'm very happy for Sergio, because as the great champion and great person that he is, he has earned this tremendous opportunity and honor of having this meeting," said longtime advisor Sampson Lewkowicz.
    "Sergio's passion to help out people in need and who are down on their luck has truly exemplified the fact that you do not need to act brash or lack any tact in order for people to respect you in the boxing world. He is a great role model for young athletes around the world," added Nathan Lewkowicz, V.P. of Sampson Boxing.
    Sergio will be accompanied to the meeting by longtime business manager Miguel De Pablos and Victor Gonzales, who was instrumental in the organization and staging of Martinez's last middleweight title defense in front of 50,000+ adoring Argentineans earlier this year. Sergio will be presenting the Pope with a special edition WBC green belt, with a picture of Pope Francis as well as the flag of the Vatican.

Re: Sergio Martinez To Meet Pope Francis

Good news and congrats to SM who is fulfilling one of his dreams.

"Martinez, who intends to speak about his anti-bullying and domestic violence against women campaigns, is absolutely ecstatic about the meeting."

I am a huge fan of the boxer sergio martinez, however I am a bigger fan of sergio martinez the human being. there are not enough people out there who dedicate time to help children and stop bullying.

when i grew up i stopped bullying by smashing bullies. no joke. i dont tolerate it, not for a second. as an adult i devote most of my extra time to working with and helping kids through sports and activities and i promote and support the same values as sergio.

Sergio deserves credit and adulation for his good deeds...

Selflessness is its own reward .
    I liked when he said Vera was more worthy than Chavez to get a shot....He then went on to say Martinez doesn't deserve a shot for disrespecting boxing.
    In addition to that he readily agreed to fight Cotto at 158... But not until Summer.
    Now if would only say yes to GGG!!!.

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    Selflessness is its own reward .
    I liked when he said Vera was more worthy than Chavez to get a shot....He then went on to say Martinez doesn't deserve a shot for disrespecting boxing.
    In addition to that he readily agreed to fight Cotto at 158... But not until Summer.
    Now if would only say yes to GGG!!!.
    I saw that and I am with you. SM carries dignity and it is good to see. I am hoping Vera does get that shot and payday he deserves it , not Chavez jr who has been handed a silver spoon since birth and is just coasting through the sport while Vera truly won that fight and got jobbed.

I like Sergio too much to see him fight and get retired by GGG. haha.

If Sergio comes back healthy, anything is possible

Quote Originally Posted by Carmine Cas View Post
    If Sergio comes back healthy, anything is possible
    Yeah, Sergio can fight. I wouldn't count him out. If he smokes Cotto, that would be a good fight. But I just don't see them going in that direction. I think the GGG-Unit is heading to Oakland.

Advanced Users

YUP! Team 3G will be going to Oak Town for Team SOG to beat 'em down. Hehehe! Holla!
    Last edited by Radam G; 10-10-2013 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post
    YUP! Team 3G will be going to Oak Town for for Team SOG to beat 'em down. Hehehe! Holla!
    What a terrible place to hold such an intriguing fight....

build it up over the next year or 18 months and put it in vegas....