English Español
Advertisement
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Had the Biggest Fight of My Life

Re: Had the Biggest Fight of My Life

LOL Hop, you're such a nice fella. You crack me up with your niceness sometimes.

The picture is so fascinatingly paradoxical on so many levels. The fish looks exhausted, ravaged from war with blood running down your arm, yet, you lovingly hold it like a little baby -- and set him free instead of eating his delicious flesh.

And yes, I felt that way in a sparring session last year with a light heavy. I got my pretty lil nose broken, a black eye and one of my Samson dreads fell off. I kept beating on his 180-pound arse -- not to hurt him but to stop him from hitting me because of sheer exhaustion.

Coach was yelling, "Are you a lion, rasta?? Are you a lion heart, rasta??? Fight back! Don't be Bob Marley, be Vybz Kartel!!!"

I digress. NICE CATCH!!

Advanced Users

Hehehehe! Funny as heck, The Shadow. Hahaha! Holla!

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    LOL Hop, you're such a nice fella. You crack me up with your niceness sometimes.

The picture is so fascinatingly paradoxical on so many levels. The fish looks exhausted, ravaged from war with blood running down your arm, yet, you lovingly hold it like a little baby -- and set him free instead of eating his delicious flesh.

And yes, I felt that way in a sparring session last year with a light heavy. I got my pretty lil nose broken, a black eye and one of my Samson dreads fell off. I kept beating on his 180-pound arse -- not to hurt him but to stop him from hitting me because of sheer exhaustion.

Coach was yelling, "Are you a lion, rasta?? Are you a lion heart, rasta??? Fight back! Don't be Bob Marley, be Vybz Kartel!!!"

I digress. NICE CATCH!!
    Thank you for the complimentary words (actually wanting to be more than merely "nice", but I know what you're saying, and am humbled). And about that serious sparring session you described, all I can say is that I have such genuine respect for that aspect of your make-up -- i.e. the courage and toughness you (and other fighters here) have shown many times inside that perimeter of ropes. Please know that no matter how much I may disagree w/you on a matter (e.g. your whole Iraqi-conspiracy take, etc.), I will always accord you and others my respect and admiration for what it takes to do what I never have (seriously boxed). I guess it's somewhat similar to my feelings toward those serving (or who have served) in the military.

I take my hat off to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hop View Post
    Thank you for the complimentary words (actually wanting to be more than merely "nice", but I know what you're saying, and am humbled). And about that serious sparring session you described, all I can say is that I have such genuine respect for that aspect of your make-up -- i.e. the courage and toughness you (and other fighters here) have shown many times inside that perimeter of ropes. Please know that no matter how much I may disagree w/you on a matter (e.g. your whole Iraqi-conspiracy take, etc.), I will always accord you and others my respect and admiration for what it takes to do what I never have (seriously boxed). I guess it's somewhat similar to my feelings toward those serving (or who have served) in the military.

I take my hat off to you.
    Well, thank you for those nice words but I'm far from a "fighter."

I'm a scholar/academic/entrepreneur with a borderline pathological drive, unquenched hunger for success and utterly unafraid to make the biggest of sacrifices in order to reach my goals.

I'm not tough and I don't like to hurt people. But I refuse to give up under any circumstance (in the ring or out) -- even those that would mentally cripple the "average" person. I'd rather collapse trying.

I think it's a question of character. The ring will let you know very quickly.

I'm quite sure you would acquit yourself well in the ring. IMO, I don't think it takes toughness and strength, necessarily. I like a tough guy in front of me. They tend to lose their cool. I'd much rather be a calm, collected, cerebral assassin.

Although I'm in awe of warriors who enjoy being in the line of fire. That's definitely not me. LOL

(As for Iraq, there is no conspiracy involved. You can't disagree with facts, only opinion. I didn't even connect any dots. Everything I said is out there in the public sphere. However, my opinion is that GWB is cut from the same cloth as dictators and tyrants, that you can disagree with. But that's neither here nor there...)

Next time you catch a fish like that and I'm close to Colorado, you better throw that sucker on the grill!

@ Shadow

I'd debate you more on Iraq & politics if I thought it might be fruitful, but (forgive my pessimism) I just don't. In my experience it can easily have a net negative effect, which is worse than neutral. I will say that re GWB I think you do him a terrible and unjustified disservice to hold so low an estimation of that good man (not that he's a fave of mine), but, like you say of your own assessment, that my opinion. Let's leave it there for now.

But regarding what you say about your boxing, I still think you're pretty tough (and appreciate the humility, one of the best qualities). And I don't see how I would "acquit myself well" (get phrase) in the ring. Boxers are the real deal: physically and mentally. I'd try if the circumstances called for it (I have good quickness, an athletic background and am 6'4" -- but I don't think that would come near matching someone like yourself who is like a Rottweiler* coming at me ... and coming ... and coming ... and ... (you get the idea).

* BTW, unbeknownst to many, 'lean, mean' Rotties are one of the most intelligent dog breeds -- in the top ten.

Got to go -- I'm spending too much time on here!

I'm not holding him in low esteem at all. I'm just callin' it. Some may even call him a genocidal gangster in the mold of Hitler and Stalin, though I won't go that far. As Shakespeare said (paraphrased), there's nothing either good or bad; only thinking that makes it so. It is what it is. I have no dog in the race, no emotions tied to it. I'm not an American so I really couldn't care less about US politics.

I do know media, though -- and I know it better than most. I also know economics -- and I also know that better than most. I will leave it at that. We can discuss it in private sometime if anything. I'm kinda curious to hear your take on the man. I always enjoy hearing different sides of the spectrum.

LOL I'm FAAAAAAAAAR from a rottweiler in the ring. If I have to dig deep down I will fight, though. But I'm a mongoose, a cat. I don't like getting hit. It hurts. It sucks. I always tell guys before stepping into the ring (tongue in cheek but I kinda mean it) that they have two options:

1) We can go in there, I hit you a few times, you don't hit me at all, I win, we both work up a good sweat and we leave unscathed. OR:

2) You try to hurt me in which case you will hit me a few times but you will get your behind lit UP!! And you still lose. Haha.

It's all in good fun, though. I've gotten my arse kicked a time or two.

Dude, if you're 6-4, you can kick behind. Just work behind a jab.