English Español
Advertisement
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Look Back at Mayweather-Alvarez: Part Two

Re: A Look Back at Mayweather-Alvarez: Part Two

Quote Originally Posted by dino da vinci View Post
    I love pro football, and was fortunate to see both plays when they happened. First Leon Lett. I remember seeing a blur take chase and bat the ball around the goal line. That blur turned out to be Don Beebe, and it speaks volumes about never quitting. One of the announcers mentioned Beebe was the fastest man on his team (natural talent), but he still had to execute and he never quit on the play. If Leon Lett never slows down and protects the football, he has one of the rare defensive TD's scored by a defensive tackle. (Not scored by a cornerback or a safety). Also, had Lett scored and they tacked on the extra point, Dallas would still have the record for most points scored in a Super bowl. They finished with 52 instead of 59. San Francisco holds the record with 55.
    Now, about those darn Broncos. In a 2005 playoff game, New England's Tight End Ben Watson took chase on Champ Bailey who had intercepted a Tom Brady pass in the end zone (Denying us New Englanders 7 points) and ran him down at one yard line, 100 yards from where he intercepted it. Thing is, Ben was on the other side of the field and had to run about a hundred and twenty yards to catch him. Another thing is we in New England believe the ball was batted through the end zone, and should have resulted in a New England possession at our 20 yard line. But no, they give that pesky Denver team the ball at the New England one and of course one of the great plays in NFL history goes unrewarded. You know in the Superman movie with Christopher Reeves, where he loses the love of his life and he flies against the natural rotation of planet earth to reverse time and so in turning back the clock he can then save Lois? If you ever see a red, white & blue blip with a giant NE on his chest flying from west to east, that will be me and I'm not stopping until I get to that play and while I don't wish to impact the history of the world too much, I will make sure that that ball goes through the end zone and the Pats get it at the 20. Just sayin'.

If Denver comes within a few points of setting the NFL regular season scoring record or point differential record this season, this play will be talked about a long time. As it is, this Peyton Manning-Tom Brady match-up reminds me of Magic and Bird, as in who's better, who is more valuable to his team. I do believe Manning got to enjoy more continuity with his receivers than Tom has, but if you had a franchise, how could you ever complain about either one.

If I coached, I'd tell my players do not stop until you can place the ball out of the back of the end zone...where it becomes dirt. Eliminate that problem, I tell ya.

Leonardo, your football posts are every bit the masterpieces that your boxing comments are!

At the risk of miffing our boxing brethren by continuing our pigskin talk ... Please don't take offense that I have never cared for your Patriots. I did enjoy visiting Boston, though. Pretty nice place. Very different feel from NYC, I felt, which surprised me for some reason. Much more intimate. Could not agree more with you about the heroic nature of Beebe's effort on that play. I LOVE it. It embodies everything virtuous in sports and in life too. I don't want to be too hard on Lett (he'll never live it down), but at the end of that play he embodied everything I hate (self-before-others, showy-ness, 'look at me', not 'putting your head down' until the play is complete, etc.). Don't think it makes him a bad person in general, but he blew it for all the world to see and remember -- and Beebe did the opposite. BTW, not only is your point valid about his error preventing him from enjoying the rarity of a tackle's TD, but a tackle's TD in the superbowl! Regarding the Bailey play, I certainly do remember it. Without going back and reviewing it I wouldn't want to commit on its correct adjudication. You could well be right. Another time (unless it was the same game -- you'll remember) the Broncos beat the Patriots on an interference call against Asante Samuel that I remember as questionable. On the other hand (sorry for all this NFL talk) I of all people, a 'Raider-hater' from my boyhood, will never, ever forget the whole stupefying 'tuck rule' play in Foxboro that effectively put your Pats in the SB (which they won in a huge upset, I know) and shafted Oakland.

Oh, and Brady vs. Manning ... what a tough one, like Magic & Bird, yeah. I honestly don't know 'my final answer'. Maybe Tom b/c of post season when it counts most?

Keep your good comments coming, Leo. Always a pleasure to read them, whether I happen to agree or not.
    Last edited by Hop; 09-27-2013 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hop View Post
    Leonardo, your football posts are every bit the masterpieces that your boxing comments are!

At the risk of miffing our boxing brethren by continuing our pigskin talk ... Please don't take offense that I have never cared for your Patriots. I did enjoy visiting Boston, though. Pretty nice place. Very different feel from NYC, I felt, which surprised me for some reason. Much more intimate. Could not agree more with you about the heroic nature of Beebe's effort on that play. I LOVE it. It embodies everything virtuous in sports and in life too. I don't want to be too hard on Lett (he'll never live it down), but at the end of that play he embodied everything I hate (self-before-others, showy-ness, 'look at me', not 'putting your head down' until the play is complete, etc.). Don't think it makes him a bad person in general, but he blew it for all the world to see and remember -- and Beebe did the opposite. BTW, not only is your point valid about his error preventing him from enjoying the rarity of a tackle's TD, but a tackle's TD in the superbowl! Regarding the Bailey play, I certainly do remember it. Without going back and reviewing it I wouldn't want to commit on its correct adjudication. You could well be right. Another time (unless it was the same game -- you'll remember) the Broncos beat the Patriots on an interference call against Asante Samuel that I remember as questionable. On the other hand (sorry for all this NFL talk) I of all people, a 'Raider-hater' from my boyhood, will never, ever forget the whole stupefying 'tuck rule' play in Foxboro that effectively put your Pats in the SB (which they won in a huge upset, I know) and shafted Oakland.

Oh, and Brady vs. Manning ... what a tough one, like Magic & Bird, yeah. I honestly don't know 'my final answer'. Maybe Tom b/c of post season when it counts most?

Keep your good comments coming, Leo. Always a pleasure to read them, whether I happen to agree or not.
    Hop, since you like football, did you know that back in '01 at the Pro Bowl, then-Raiders coach Jon Gruden would take advantage of the holiday atmosphere to hit on every star player and upcoming free agent in sight?

He was pampering the HELL out of your boy Manning, buying him drinks by the pool and what not.

While Gruden was fishing, other cats -- and it doesn't take a genius to guess who -- were out fishing in the Hawaiian night life with Snoop Doggy Dog and Ludacris hehehehe.

Are you a fan of Kurt Warner?

If these players/athletes would stop Celebrating themselves and finish the play with self respect and dignity then bone head and ignorant plays dont happen.

my dad taught me to be humble and achieve my accomplishments with dignity.

i was blessed to have done some tremendous things in sports and i am MORE proud of the way I conducted myself

through those achievements than the achievements themselves.. My dad told me that as well and i will

always have that with me that i carried his name with honor and dignity.

todays athletes celebrate for doing what they are suppose to do. it is quite sad.

floyd has been a champion for 17 years, that, in itself is EXTRAordinary and permits praise and you still

dont see him pounding his chest after a fight or dancing when he knocks a guy down like bonehead broner....

floyd is coming along pretty well

Administrator

As simple as the whole "act like you have been there before" thing really is, is lost on so many people.

Floyd being champion and fighting other champions is indeed impressive. However, it does lose just a bit when you add the fact that there are now weight divisions three and four pounds apart and more than one champion per division, a far cry from the original eight divisions and just one champion.

Quote Originally Posted by dino da vinci View Post
    As simple as the whole "act like you have been there before" thing really is, is lost on so many people.

Floyd being champion and fighting other champions is indeed impressive. However, it does lose just a bit when you add the fact that there are now weight divisions three and four pounds apart and more than one champion per division, a far cry from the original eight divisions and just one champion.
    agreed.

the good ol' days are over.

something that really caught my attention in one of these articles is that a fight nearly 100 years ago made more money (inflation adjusted ) then floyd vs dlh and this last floyd fight.

man, boxing was big back then and it seems up into the early 90's.

i am a man born in the wrong generation.

Advanced Users

Yup! It was the original eight divisions. But that is jive that it was always just one champ in each of those divisions. Hey, always-digging-up-the-real-deal Master weaving Pugilistic Scribe S-To, you need to holla at DDV. Alphabet-sanctioning organization have been around since the turn of the Twentieth Century. Holla!
    Last edited by Radam G; 09-27-2013 at 10:55 PM.

Administrator

Rad, my man, I know all of them. I was a record keeper for a few years. And yes, Springs could talk volumes on the topic. But there wasn't that many. Unless of course you count the New York State World Champion, California State world Champion, etc. I'm referring to the universally recognized lineal champion. The man who beat the man who beat the man.

Quote Originally Posted by amayseng View Post
    If these players/athletes would stop Celebrating themselves and finish the play with self respect and dignity then bone head and ignorant plays dont happen.

my dad taught me to be humble and achieve my accomplishments with dignity.

i was blessed to have done some tremendous things in sports and i am MORE proud of the way I conducted myself

through those achievements than the achievements themselves.. My dad told me that as well and i will

always have that with me that i carried his name with honor and dignity.

todays athletes celebrate for doing what they are suppose to do. it is quite sad.

floyd has been a champion for 17 years, that, in itself is EXTRAordinary and permits praise and you still

dont see him pounding his chest after a fight or dancing when he knocks a guy down like bonehead broner....

floyd is coming along pretty well
    Your dad sounds like a good guy.

Y'all are some knowledgable Martha Fockers, I love it!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Are you a fan of Kurt Warner?
    Bull's-eye! -- one of my favorite athletes ever, on & off the field.

Quote Originally Posted by amayseng View Post
    My dad taught me to be humble and achieve my accomplishments with dignity.
    Maybe if more athletes had a dad like yours we would see far less foolishness.