English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jhonny Gonzales Drops and Stops Abner Mares

Jhonny Gonzales Drops and Stops Abner Mares

Abner Mares has been on a hot run, elevating himself onto pound for pound lists. But in the main event at the StubHub Center in Carson, CA, on Saturday night, on Showtime, foe Jhonny Gonzalez pulled the plug on that talk, stopping Mares in round one with vicious left hooks. The ending came at 2:55 of the first.
    Jhonny said after to Jim Gray that only trainer Nacho Beristain believed he could win. He said after the first knockdown, he knew he wanted to finish him off. Was experience the difference? He said Mares will be a champ again, but tonight was his night. Mares then spoke to Gray, after Jhonny wished him well, and Mares congratulated him, and offered a classy smile while doing so. "I'm good, I'm good, you win some, you lose some," he said. He said he wants not just a good record but wants to fight the best, if that means a rematch, or another, tougher opponent. "I was alright but the ref did his job, he did his job, I respect that," he said, when asked about the knockdowns. He told his oldest daughter that he was OK.
    Golden Boy promoted the event.
    The WBC featherweight champ Mares (age 27; living in CA, born in Mexico), a 2004 Olympian for Mexico, entered at 26-0-1. Jhonny (age 31; from Mexico; 14 year vet; former bantam and feather champ) entered at 54-8.
    You have to root for Mares, a three division champion, growing up so poor there was times the family had to dumpster dive for food. He was familiar with Jhonny, having helped him with sparring five years ago.
    A left hook sent Mares down and he was up at 30 seconds. He went down, on his back, and the ref waved it off after a two count.
    Follow Woods on Twitter.

Check back for David Avila's ringside report.

Advanced Users

Re: Jhonny Gonzales Drops and Stops Abner Mares

Wow! Great thing for the G fighter, but the ref was a fast-stop wuzzy. It is da hurt bitnezz, danggit! Let the pugilist go out on his shield. Mares was not ready to yield. And this was not a play on a Yank football field. The play is not over just because you get knocked down. Mares could've gotten up and in a round or two, and turned JG into a pathetic clown.

Mare should have had a rematch clause in the fight contract. Holla!

Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post
    Wow! Great thing for the G fighter, but the ref was a fast-stop wuzzy. It is da hurt bitnezz, danggit! Let the pugilist go out on his shield. Mares was not ready to yield. And this was not a play on a Yank football field. The play is not over just because you get knocked down. Mares could've gotten up and in a round or two, and turned JG into a pathetic clown.

Mare should have had a rematch clause in the fight contract. Holla!
    The ref told Mares he saw his eyes roll up in his head (the whites of his eyes). I wanted to see what would happen when Mares got heated up and Gonzales slowed down a bit...disappointing ending but I think Gonzales would have trapped him in the corner again.

yea i agree radam there is a ten count for a reason, he two counted and then called it off...

the round was over, if mares got up could he have his senses back for round two is the question.

great fight though

man what a left hook, he feinted going with a left body hook and in the same motion landed a left hook to

the jaw,

thats a professional at the top of his craft right there.

The stoppage wasn't all that bad. No need to risk letting a young lion suffer possible long term damage. Dust himself off-- live to fight another day.

Thats what you call a stunning upset. Mares was in a bad way when the fight was stopped. The ref did his job. Protect the fighter. Mares had no problem with the stoppage so we shouldn't either. That left hook was a bomb. Mares never saw it coming. Those are the ones that get you. Hats off to Jhonny Gonzales. I didn't think he had a chance. Class from both fighters after the fight. That's how it goes sometimes. Sometimes you're up, and sometimes you're down.

Advanced Users

The manatory eight count should be enforced. It was five seconds left in the round. The referees are worst than judges are sometimes. In this day and time of boxing, the boxers and seconds are the weakest links. I remember not too long back in da day, cornermen would cuss a ref out and force him to let the fighter continue. Kemit Cinton got knocked the double fudge out one time, took the count and then he and his cornermen cussed the ref out and claimed a butt. The ref bytched out and let the fight recontinue. Cintron ended up with a gift draw to Sergio Martinez.

Danggit! I remember when I was a rugrat that Bobby Chacon would be knocked down and get up knocked out on his feet, and his corner would cuss out the ref and make him not stop the match.

This New Jack refereeing by doing a count to one or two, and stopping syet oughta quit. It is legal mayhem. Let the muthasucka be hit. And hit! And hit! Then make a fake-@$$ movie: "You couldn't knock me out, Ray." Holla!
    Last edited by Radam G; 08-25-2013 at 01:46 AM.

Mares sealed his own fate. 20 seconds were left in the round after the knockdown and count. 20 seconds. He should have grabbed Gonzales. Threw him down, hit him low, took a knee, told him his shoe was untied, anything. Mares is a fighter. His instinct was to fight back and he did. He can get a rematch. It's not the end of the world. No shame in this defeat. He got caught. It happens.

Last edited by SouthPaul; 08-25-2013 at 02:36 AM.

And, like you said in the first post, Roast, Mares himself had no problem with the stoppage ...neither could he remember what hit him until he watched the replay. Solid stoppage specially since the ref hasn't got the benefit like those of us seeing it from all angles from the tv coverage. Good feed back though from everyone on TSS forum.

Good mention about Bobby Chacon, Radam. Cali legend!
    Last edited by SouthPaul; 08-25-2013 at 02:41 AM.