Miguel Cotto and Yoshihiro Kamegai in L.A. with Golden Boy

LOS ANGELES-After months of hunting for the right fit, boxing great Miguel Cotto found not only an opponent but a co-promoter in Golden Boy Promotions it was announced on Wednesday.

“We are happy to be partnering with Cotto and Kamegai for this event, but I do want to announce that our efforts to bring boxing back in a big way to Puerto Rico is one that will become a reality in the near future,” said Oscar De La Hoya, owner of Golden Boy who have an agreement with Miguel Cotto Promotions.

Their first co-promotion will be Puerto Rico’s Cotto (40-5, 33 KOs) versus Japan’s Yoshihiro Kamegai (27-3-2, 24 KOs) for the vacant WBO super welterweight title on Aug. 26, at the StubHub Center in Carson. HBO will televise. It promises to be a good one if that arena continues its run of spectacular fights.

With only a few days of preparation the quick turn of events attracted a media throng at the Conga Room in LA Live. Just recently, Cotto had parted ways with his previous promoter Roc Nation after an announced match with James Kirkland fell apart and a replacement could not be found.

The move by Miguel Cotto Promotions to partner with Golden Boy Promotions includes a multi-fight deal along with sharing ESPN dates in Puerto Rico. Cotto Promotions had been staging events under its own auspices and televising the fight cards on pay-per-view.

“I want to say thank you to the great family of Golden Boy Promotions. This is the beginning of many great fights that will develop between Golden Boy Promotions and Miguel Cotto Promotions,” said Hector Soto, vice president of Miguel Cotto Promotions.

This coming fight is not going to be easy pickings for Cotto. No one has been able to tame Japan’s Kamegai who despite his fashion model appearance has proven to be an ultimate warrior every time he’s entered a California boxing ring.

“Kamegai is a warrior who is finally being given his chance for a world championship. We are very excited that this HBO World Championship Boxing event kicks off fall boxing,” said Tony Walker vice president of HBO pay-per-view.

Kamegai finally gets his world title opportunity and it’s against a future Hall of Fame opponent.

“For me to fight someone I’ve been a fan of since I was 20 years old is an honor. I look forward to fighting him, and I’m out here to win this fight,” said Kamegai, 34, who has previously fought Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero, Jesus Soto Karass, and Alfonso Gomez.

Most people recall his savage war with Soto Karass a year ago at Belasco Theater and the rematch at the Forum that saw Kamegai win by brutal knockout in the eighth round last September.

“This is a fighter that never ever backs down, and we expect him to give Cotto an excellent fight on August 26. If you’ve never seen him fight, he fights with heart and passion, has dynamite in his fists, and never takes a step back,” said De La Hoya.

Puerto Rico’s Cotto can now concentrate on pure boxing after this new partnership.

“Kamegai is a tough fighter, and he is coming with the victory on his mind. I’m going to do the best I can for this fight and fight with my heart as always,” said Cotto. “See you all on August 26.”

Photo credit: Carlos Galvan

Check out more boxing news on video at The Boxing Channel.

boxing great Miguel Cotto