Mayweather vs. McGregor a 99 Percent Done Deal Say U.K. Tabloids

‘MONEY MAY” VS. McGREGOR — The boxing and MMA worlds went gaga on social media on Tuesday morning with reports that the long-rumored mega-fight between UFC superstar Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather Jr. was close to being finalized. A formal announcement, says the Daily Sun, will be forthcoming in the next two weeks. If true, a fair guess is that it will come on Feb. 24 which marks Mayweather’s 40th birthday.

The news contradicts a statement last week by UFC spokesman Dana White that a Mayweather-McGregor fight was impossible because McGregor was contractually obligated for four more fights under the UFC banner. A fight with Mayweather would be contested under the rules of boxing. The larger-than-life McGregor started his career in combat sports as an amateur boxer. In the UFC sphere, it has been said that his main strength is punching people in the face.

The Sun, which is owned by controversial media mogul Rupert Murdoch, is published in London and Dublin and has the second-largest readership in the U.K. The paper was the first to reveal that McGregor cancelled a meet-and-greet in Dublin on Friday, Feb. 10, in order to fly to Las Vegas for meetings with Mayweather’s representatives and with the Nevada Athletic Commission. This suggests that the likely venue is the MGM Grand which has hosted Mayweather’s last 12 fights.

While in Las Vegas, McGregor reportedly filmed an anti-bullying video for schoolchildren. This was supposedly done to appease the Nevada Athletic Commission to which McGregor owes $60,000, a fine imposed upon him for a bottle throwing incident with Nate Diaz. He will need to satisfy that obligation to receive a Nevada boxing license. McGregor is already licensed to box in California.

McGregor was recently quoted as saying “I’ve got the reach. I’ve got the youth. I’ve got the confidence. I’ve got the unpredictable style. You can’t prepare for a style like me. A guy said to me, why conquer one world when you can conquer two? I’m going to conquer two worlds.”

Conor McGregor’s last showing came on Nov. 12 of last year when he TKOed Eddie Alvarez at Madison Square Garden. The event produced a record-shattering $17.7 million dollar gate. Floyd Mayweather’s last outing was on Sept. 12 of 2015 when he outpointed Andre Berto. It was a typical Mayweather performance as he coasted to a 12-round decision. Each of his last seven fights went the full 12 rounds. The match with Berto was a PPV bust but elevated Mayweather to 49-0, tying Rocky Marciano’s famous record.

Paddy Power, the largest bookmaking firm in Ireland, was quoting odds of 5/1 against a Mayweather-McGregor fight happening this year. The odds were immediately slashed to 2/1. The firm opened Mayweather a 10/1 favorite with McGregor a 6/1 underdog. Predictably, the vast majority of bets that are already in the hopper are small wagers on the Irishman.

Check out more boxing news on video at The Boxing Channel.

COMMENTS

-Kid Blast :

Along with Jones-Gunn, it adds to the freak show aura that boxing is fast acquiring. Will Vince McMahon be coming around next? What a disgrace.


-deepwater2 :

Watching McG recent sparring session, I can honestly say that he couldn't beat anyone of the amatuer/pro fighters @ Westbury, in a boxing match. No chance. As a matter of fact Cletus Seldin is trying to get McG to fight him first. Seldin is 18-0. If these guys are going to get 100 million then why not. Too much money not to do it. One wrong move by Floyd and his legacy is tarnished beyond repair.


-stormcentre :

Agreed, some amateurs out there would utterly annihilate Conner. I think Ricardo Mayorga also threw his hat into "the ring" a few months back too. Trying to get the big Benjamins and Conner. The lead up to that fantasy fight would have been hilarious. As, Mayorga probably would;

Not only, know Conner was one of the few guys that he fought that didn't actually box better than him. But also, as a result of that, have most likely given even less of a quarter to Conner's pre-fight antics.

And that's probably worth a smirk because even during the lead up to boxing contests where Ricardo surely knew he was in against guys with obviously better boxing skills/chances than himself - he was still outrageously confident and entertainingly over the top. If the Mayorga V McGregor fight eventuated, it's not unreasonable to say that (even) Ricardo may very well have also beaten Conner up. Even if he were to try and compete for a decent sanction's (oxymoron?) title contention and/or a top 10 position; Conner's boxing is less than flawless and quite wanting. As such (and this is just one vulnerability of many) he is as about as open (for all the "pipeline" shots Floyd throws, and more) as a freshly minted Bride. Her nightgown, I mean. :) Still, even if Conner gets azz handed to him (which is what will most likely happen if he boxes Floyd) it's relatively easy money. Cheers,
Storm. :) :) :)


-KO Digest :

A Kazakhi tabloid is reporting GGG vs Borat during the annual running of the Jews. As an aside: It turns out Tom Brady WILL NOT be goaltending an NHL All-Star game as previously reported by a Boston tabloid.


-ArneK. :

Lol


-KO Digest :

And Brady would have been the next Gerry Cheevers, obviously.


-Radam G :

Watching McG recent sparring session, I can honestly say that he couldn't beat anyone of the amatuer/pro fighters @ Westbury, in a boxing match. No chance. As a matter of fact Cletus Seldin is trying to get McG to fight him first. Seldin is 18-0. If these guys are going to get 100 million then why not. Too much money not to do it. One wrong move by Floyd and his legacy is tarnished beyond repair.
Hehehe! I'm witcha all the way. Holla!