Boxer Eduard Gutknecht Reportedly Stable After Emergency Surgery

Eduard Gutknecht was rushed to the neurological unit of St. Mary’s Hospital in west London in an ambulance last night (Nov. 18) after collapsing in his dressing room following his loss to George Groves at Wembley Arena. According to the German news site “” Gutknecht underwent a successful operation for swelling on the brain. Thomas Putz, the President of the German Boxing Association, confirmed that Gutknecht suffered a cerebral hemorrhage.

The 34-year-old Gutknecht, a Germany-based Kazakhstani, is a former European light heavyweight champion. He lost that diadem to German countryman Juergen Braehmer. In March of this year he met Braehmer again and lost a unanimous 12-round decision in a failed bid to lift Braehmer’s WBA world light heavyweight title. As an amateur, Gutknecht defeated Gennady Golovkin.

Gutknecht and Groves were competing for Groves’ WBA International 168-pound title. Their 12-round contest was the main event of an 8-bout card. It aired live on Channel 5 in the United Kingdom

Groves, one of England’s most popular fighters, won lopsidedly. The scores were 119-109, 119-109, and 119-110. There were no knockdowns, but Gutknecht absorbed a great amount of punishment. There was severe swelling over his left eye. Referee Terry O’Connor will come under the microscope for allowing the bout to go the distance.

With the win, Groves is in line for a fourth title shot. He came up short in three previous attempts. He lost twice inside the distance to Carl Froch and lost a split decision to reigning WBC super middleweight champion Badou Jack. Those are his only defeats.

British boxing authorities put new safeguards in place in 1991 following Michael Watson’s near fatal encounter with Chris Eubank. Those safeguards were put on display on March 26 of this year when Nick Blackwell opposed Chris Eubank’s son of the same name in a match sanctioned for the British middleweight title. Blackwell was rushed to St. Mary’s Hospital with a traumatic brain injury after being stopped in the 10th round. He spent a week in an induced coma.

Although Blackwell will never fight again, this was a story with a happy ending. The first responders, hospital workers, and the neurological surgeons meshed with great efficiency, providing a textbook example of how to properly handle a crisis of this nature. That bodes well for Eduard Gutknecht.

This latest incident comes less than seven weeks after a ring fatality in Scotland. On Sept. 30, 25-year-old professional boxer Mike Towell died from a brain injury suffered the previous night in a bout in Glasgow.

Informed of Gutknecht’s situation, George Groves cancelled the post-fight conference. He later sent a message of hope and sympathy to Gutknecht and his family on his Twitter account.

We will update this story as new details become available.


Check out The Boxing Channel for more boxing news on video.


-Skibbz :

Thoughts with Gutneckt this morning. Terrible to hear of this last night. He proved how tough he was but last night you could see by the 10th he should have been taken out by his corner, certainly not allowed to reach the final bell because he wouldn't go down and Groves wasn't slowing down.

-Kid Blast :

The UK is having a bad year with these kinds of tragedies or potential tragedies. We can only pray for this lad's recovery.

-Kid Blast :

Three are Three too many in UK Boxing Super-middleweight contender George Groves busted up tough and overly game Eduard Gutknecht over 12 one-sided rounds by scores of 119-110 and 119-109 (twice) . Gutknecht - born in Kazakhstan but fighting out of Germany –became distressed in his dressing room after the fight and was rushed to a hospital via ambulance and eventually operated on. Reportedly, Gutknecht needed resuscitating in the emergency vehicle after he “briefly stopped breathing and was drifting in and out of consciousness”. After learning of Gutknecht’s condition, Groves cancelled plans to discuss his performance at a post-fight press conference reflecting the solemnity of the situation Ironically, at the very same venue last March, English middleweight Nick Blackwell collapsed at the end of his TKO loss to Chris Eubank Jr. He suffered bleeding on his skull and was treated at the same nearby hospital and fortunately recovered, but he will never box again. Then, in September, Scottish welterweight Mike Towell died just hours after losing to Dale Evans in Glasgow. He too had suffered severe bleeding and swelling to his brain. Back in March 2013, Brit boxer Michael Norgove was taken ill his sixth fight of his career, after two years away from the sport and later died of brain hemorrhage. And let’s not forget Chris Henry, Spencer Oliver, Paul Ingle, Rod Douglass, and Michael Watson, While the win will position “The Saint” for still another crack at a world title, the implications of the fight could again initiate calls for boxing to be banned. At some point it might be sage to look at the rather obvious common threads in these tragedies, as there are many. This also might be appropriate:
-> And this troubling news about Nick Blackwell just in: