Chimpa Gonzalez Scores Another KO Win in L.A.

LOS ANGELES-Christian “Chimpa” Gonzalez roared to another win by knockout and this time against veteran Alejandro Ochoa in quick fashion on Friday night. The lanky lightweight from Los Angeles had his way again.

The Belasco Theater staged its final boxing card for 2015 and the sold out venue once again was not cheated. Gonzalez (12-0, 11 Kos) brought his fans and once again they got another knockout win. This time Ochoa (7-11-2) was the victim.

Ochoa nearly didn’t survive the first round as he was hurt twice with a right and left hand. But the veteran survived and managed to gain some respect.

Gonzalez didn’t let Ochoa get away in the second round. Though he ran into a right cross, Gonzalez stalked Ochoa and snuck a left uppercut that snapped Ochoa’s head back. Four more solid connects sent Ochoa down in sections. He beat the count but looked groggy. Referee Raul Caiz allowed the fight to continue and when Gonzalez connected with a pair of blows the veteran referee wisely stopped the fight at 2:13 of the second round for a knockout.

“I had been training hard and focusing on landing shots like that uppercut that put him down. I knew the body shots I landed early in the fight had a lot of effect and I saw him breathing out of his mouth. The body shots set up my uppercut.” said Gonzalez.

Other bouts

Oscar Negrete (12-0, 5 Kos) wore down Mexico’s Ernesto Guerrero (17-17, 11 Kos) with a constant battering before ending the fight at 2:51 of round three in their super bantamweight match. The semi-main event saw Negrete land up and down before ending the battle with a right to the body. Guerrero paused before going down and could not get up.

“We prepared for another fighter but we were still able to come up with a plan and execute it,” Negrete said.

Ivan Delgado (8-0-1) was accurate and sharp in defeating Mexico’s Luis Lizarraga (5-7-1) by unanimous decision after six rounds of a lightweight match. All three judges scored it 60-54 for Delgado.

Nick Arce (6-0, 6 Kos) floored Ali Gonzalez (6-7-1) of Tijuana with the first right hand he fired. But it wasn’t enough. Gonzalez got up and looked like he was going to give the L.A. youngster a tough time. In the second round Arce connected with a left hook to the ribs and Gonzalez clinched, then folded like a cheap wooden chair at 1:33 of the second round. Referee Raul Caiz Jr. told him to get up or he would be counted out. Gonzalez could not get up and the super featherweight contest was ended.

“I wasn’t expecting to win this way I knew my opponent was a tough fighter,” said Arce.

Pacoima’s Emilio Sanchez (11-0, 8 Kos) found himself in an early firefight against Juan Hernandez (4-2) of Tijuana. But after some well-placed body shots the defense opened up and Sanchez connected with a right hand left hook combination and down went Hernandez for the count at 2:05 of the first round. The featherweight fight started out early with both trading heavy leather, but Sanchez took over with better timing in his punches.

“I had been working on strength treaining and really liked how it impacted me this fight,” Sanchez said.

San Antonio’s Joshua Franco (3-0, 2 Kos) stopped Tijuana’s Leonardo Reyes (3-9-1) with a body shot at 2:19 of the first round in their super flyweight contest. Franco had dropped Reyes earlier before the final knockdown.

“Our strategy was to break him down but it came sooner than I expected,” said Franco.