See that look on his face? Yeah…that has to be the mood of Andre Ward right now.
Hey, maybe he's shrugged it off, but the Cali boxer has now been hit with another body blow. A bum knee, we are told, keeps him from fighting on Nov. 21, and now Ward, after a long spell of self imposed hiatus, because of a promotional dispute, sits longer. Yes, he fought in June, against B- level Paul Smith, but this layoff, till an undetermined as yet 2016 date, has to be annoying. For Ward, yes, for his promotional team, for HBO, which just signed him to a three fight deal. That deal was supposed to culminate in a fight with Sergey Kovalev…but more and more folks are getting antsy…they wonder, he's had shoulder and elbow woes, now the knee..is he still able to withstand the training rigors? Will his body cooperate enough to get him to the finish line, a Kovalev fight, which he's said he believes will help him cement a legacy. That legacy, he says, will be that of an all-time great. He's publicly said this is merely just another speed-bump…but there have been so many bumps in recent years, and scant few periods of smooth travel…One has to wonder, can Ward's luck and fortune change?
Here is the release which talks about his pull-out:
WARD FORCED TO WITHDRAW FROM
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 21 MIGUEL COTTO VS. CANELO ALVAREZ CO-FEATURE
NEW YORK (November 4, 2015) – Roc Nation Sports regretfully announces that due to an injury sustained while training, Andre Ward will be unable to participate in his previously scheduled Saturday, Nov. 21 bout at the Mandalay Events Center in Las Vegas. A replacement fight for the HBO Pay-Per-View produced and distributed event is currently being worked on.
Ward has been suffering from significant inflammation and constant pain in his right knee that is severely restricting his mobility. He has been advised by his physician to immediately rest and begin rehab on the knee to reduce the inflammation.
“I’m extremely disappointed that I’m missing this opportunity on November 21, but at the same time, I’m encouraged,” said Ward. “Anytime I have had a minor or major setback in my career, by the Grace of God, I’ve come back stronger and this will be no different. I’m looking forward to a big 2016. Thank you to all my fans for your support and patience.”
“Andre’s injury is a huge disappointment not only to him, but all of us involved with this promotion,” said David Itskowitch, COO Boxing of Roc Nation Sports. “We have no doubt that Andre will come back stronger than ever once his knee heals and that he will be a force in the light heavyweight division. We are working diligently to make an intriguing fight that will deliver a level of excitement commensurate with this great event.”
“While we feel terrible for Andre that he has encountered this setback, we have no doubt that Andre will return stronger than ever in 2016,” said James Prince and Josh Dubin, Ward’s management team.