Never prone to excessive emoting, Miguel Cotto showed his typical level of even-keeled determination at Jay Z’s 40/40 Club in Manhattan, as he informed fight fans who’s next on his dance card.
Aussie middleweight Daniel Geale gets the nod, in a bout to be contested June 6 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, not Cotto’s fight home to this point, Madison Square Garden.
Cotto will be defending his WBC 160 crown though in a nod to the acknowledgement he’s not of a middleweight physique, the clash will be held at a “catchweight” of 157 or less.
Cotto thanked the media and the folks who put the clash together. “I am happy and excited to be back in New York and fighting at Barclays Center,” said Cotto. “This is another chapter in my career and I’m committed to train as hard as always and bring a big victory. I’m looking forward to seeing all the Puerto Rican fans on June 6 and to being part of another exciting boxing night in Brooklyn.”
He is a building block of Roc Nation’s boxing arm, and all in the room had in at least the back of their mind thoughts of what could be there for the Puerto Rican star post June 6. A clash with Mexican young gun Canelo Alvarez is on the tentative to-do list though but of course, Geale would dearly love to mess up that plan.
The Aussie told me he’s keen to show that his outing against Gennady Golovkin last year, a stoppage loss, was an aberration and his promoter Gary Shaw noted that “Cotto is no Golovkin.” Their power supplies are on different levels, the dealmaker stated. “I’m hopeful that Miguel didn’t make any other plans for September other than a rematch with Daniel,” Shaw finished.
Roc boxing COO David Itskowitch also weighed in: “We’re excited and proud to bring Miguel Cotto back to New York along with Miguel Cotto Promotions, now as a part of the Roc Nation Sports family,” said Itskowitch. “Brooklyn and boxing have a long history, and Puerto Rican heritage is closely integrated with both. What a way for New York to kick off the week of the Puerto Rican Day Parade festivities…with Miguel Cotto’s long-awaited return to the ring. The night of June 6 will be one to remember for fans in attendance at Barclays Center and those watching at home on HBO.”
Cotto will enter with a 39-4, 32 KOs mark, as the reigning WBC Middleweight and Ring Magazine World Champion and the first native of Puerto Rico to become world champion in four different weight classes. Geale comes to the table with a 31-3, 16 KOs mark.
Cotto advisor Gaby Penagaricano told me that nobody is looking past Geale but that yes, a Cotto-Canelo tangle would be a priority. And is Cotto interested in fighting Golovkin? “Absolutely, one hundred percent,” Penagaricano said.
As for that catchweight, he said that boxing is a business and he always seeks to gain a competitive edge for the man he reps. And also advantageous financial terms…this is business and Barclays offered a sweet deal, so that explains why Cotto is fighting in the arena being touted by Barclays and Nets boss Brett Yormark as “the new Mecca for boxing.”
Considering that the building is hosting XL cards on May 29 (topped by Brit ace Amir Khan versus Long Islander Chris Algieri) and then June 6, that sort of chest thumping cannot be summarily dismissed.
Again, no chest thumping from Cotto. He promised fans a good show June 6 but as ever, he speaks most loudly in the ring, on fight night.
Follow Woods on Twitter: