Gennady Golovkin has his next victim, er, foe lined up.
Marco Antonio Rubio, a 34-year-old Mexican boxer who holds the interim WBC middleweight title, Tweeted out Thursday evening that he will tangle with Triple G on Oct. 18.
The vet, who sports a 59-61 mark, with 51 KOs, has a chin that can be dented, so the response on Twitter to his news was mostly of the “timberrr” variety. Of his six losses, three have come via stoppage.
Some more casual boxing fans might remember Rubio from his 2009 attempt to beat then middleweight titlist Kelly Pavlik. It didn’t go so hot that night, as Rubio was never in the fight and retired after nine rounds. He had another crack at a crown in 2012, against Julio Cesar Chavez Jr, then holding the WBC middleweight title, and lost a UD12. He’s won six straight since, against mostly mid-level opposition.
I messaged Golovkin advisor Tom Loeffler to verify, and he said Rubio is one of the guys HBO accepted, but “nothing has been finzalized.” Loeffler had previously said that Golovkin would fight in October or November, likely in California. A source with knowledge of negotiations seconded Rubio’s Tweeted news, that Golovkin-Rubio is a done deal, for the record.
Rubio backers might point out that his chin ain’t china, that he lost stoppages in 2001, and 2004, before Pavlik squashed him. That said, I feel like Rubio will need a minor miracle to make it to the final bell against Golovkin without hitting the deck.