Andrade Stops Late Sub Hernandez In Second Round on “FNF”

Angel Hernandez stepped into the main event of Friday Night Fights, which unfolded at Mohegan Sun in Connecticut, on Wednesday, after Derek Ennis and then Terrance Cauthen fell out. He surprised some by making it out of the first round Friday night, but he didn’t escape Andrade’s left or the second round, as ref Steve Smoger halted the uneven scrap at 1:39 of round two.

People who’d followed the drama which bubbled up in fightgame circles the last couple days, as Hernandez’ ex promoters alleged he was not fit to fight, breathed a sigh of relief that the boxer didn’t absorb punishment for a lengthy period of time.

Andrade (15-0 with 10 KOs entering; age 23; from Rhode Island) weighed 153 1/2 pounds on Thursday, while Hernandez (30-10 with 17 KOs; age 36; living in Chicago) was 152 3/4.

In the first, the 2008 Olympian came out bombing. The lefty hurled power lefts, and towered over his foe by a head. We heard from Joe Tessitore that Hernandez had to take extra tests from the Mohegan staff, including one from a speech pathologist, in order to be okayed to fight. Teddy Atlas noted he’s been off for 11 months, and has been quite inactive as of late. Hernandez tried to trade, tried to bring it to Andrade, but he looked too weak to cope with the kid. He did land a sharp right on the chin near the end of the first, and Steve Smoger called a halt then and there.

In the second, the jab looked stiff from Andrade. He sent Hernandez down at 1:50, off sharp lefts, a right hook and fatigue. The late-comer looked tired as heck. A sharp left and a body shot sent him down for good.

Andrade after told Bernardo Osuna he was ready for anyone they put in front of him. “I went in there to have fun,” he said. He said he’d been working on some moves in the gym and those moves worked on this night. He said he was ready for a Canelo, Lara or Kirkland, or to go to 160 for Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.

Check out more boxing news on video at The Boxing Channel.