Manny Pacquiao foe Chris Algieri came off the deck twice in the first round of his June fight against Ruslan Provodnikov, and impressed the fight world–and that’s putting it mildly–as he came back to win a decision over the rugged Russian.
Here is a Q&A with Provodnikov, to help you get a better sense of what Algieri brings to the table in Macau, on Saturday, on HBO pay-per-view.
1) What is Pacquiao’s best strategy to employ against Algieri’s length?
Provodnikov: Manny will have to pressure Algieri throughout the fight and not give him a chance to let him rest. Body work and multiple combinations. Manny will also have to utilize speed. His speed of punches and speed of movement.
2) What did you learn about Algieri’s toughness in your fight against him?
Algieri adjusted well in my fight and was able to show that he is a tough fighter. He had the heart of a lion that night. He had a game plan and he stuck with it even when I had him on the canvas twice in the first round. He’s very smart.
3) Considering your experience sparring Pacquiao, how would you describe his fighting style?
Manny is very fast, aggressive and sharp. You cannot predict what he will do in the ring which can be a big distraction. And despite his size he does have good power — and in both hands. His footwork is magnificent.
4) What can Pacquiao learn about Algieri from watching your fight against him?
Finish what you start! in my case finish the fight once you get him hurt.
5) What will be the key to victory for Algieri?
Run and hide….
Pacquiao vs. Algieri happens Saturday, November 22 live on pay-per-view beginning at 9:00 p.m. ET/6:00 p.m. PT.