Austin Trout Snaps Losing Streak at Pechanga’s Long Fight Card

TEMECULA-As Austin “No Doubt” Trout looked up following a second knockdown from Australia’s Daniel Dawson it looked grim for the former junior middleweight world titlist on Friday.

“I told myself to tighten my (stuff) up,” said Trout (27-2, 14 Kos) after the second knockdown.

That he did as the former WBA junior middleweight titlist rallied against the shorter Dawson and floored him in the eighth round to go on and win by unanimous decision before more than 1,500 at the Pechanga Resort and Casino.

For the first two rounds Trout controlled the fight with his longer reach and height. Dawsonlooked to find a way inside and didn’t have to wait long.

In the third, Trout advanced quickly to fire a combination and Dawson returned fire with a perfect counter right hand blast that sent Trout on the floor. A more determined Trout got up with a stern look on his face eager to return the favor. As he fired more combinations looking for a knockdown, the smaller Australian fighter returned another crisp right hand bomb and down went Trout again.

“After the second knockdown I told myself I got to tighten up,” Trout said about his defense. “He was strong.”

After eating counter right hands Trout changed his plan of attack and began feinting by moving in and out. His longer reach gave him a natural advantage that proved beneficial for the next two rounds.

“I had to tighten my stuff up,” said Trout who lost the WBA junior middleweight world title to Mexico’s Saul “Canelo” Alvarez in 2013. “I was just too anxious. It’s something I have to work on.”

In round seven the confidence began to seep back into the former champions movements that now seemed more fluid. During a flurry of punches Dawson walked away limping and turned his back. Trout looked confused at referee Jack Reiss now knowing what to do. The referee asked the Australian if he could continue and he nodded yes.

“I tore the muscles in my calf,” said Dawson. “I couldn’t hit with any power after that. Maybe it’s old age.”

Trout emerged for round eight with renewed confidence especially knowing that Dawson’s right leg was hurt. The New Mexican fighter opened the round with a three punch combination that saw Dawson slump to the floor. He beat the count but could only survive the rest of the round.

It was all Trout for the rest of the fight as he poured on the combinations on the lame duck Dawson who was only able to hop around for the last four rounds. After the 10th went into full-attack mode. Dawson made it to the final bell.

“If I had two more rounds I definitely would have finished him,” said Dawson. “But I was glad to be in a good fight.”

Other bouts

San Bernardino’s Joshua Conley (9-0-1, 6 Kos) used quick combinations to win by unanimous decision against Detroit’s Antonio Urista (5-1, 2 Kos) after six rounds of a junior middleweight bout. Conley’s quicker combinations proved the difference. The scores were 58-56 and 59-55 twice for Conley.

Egypt’s Ahmed Elbiali (6-0) featured the knockout of the night when he caught Dwayne Williams (4-4) with a dynamite right hand that ended the fight at 1:51 of round one. Both were firing punches but Elbiali landed first and Williams ran into the big puncher’s right hand bomb.

Commerce’s Joaquin Chavez (9-14-3, 2 Kos) and Garden Grove’s Jessie Roman (17-2, 9 Kos) traded knockdowns in a back and forth welterweight battle that saw the fighter from Commerce emerge with a split decision victory. Chavez often battles with some of the best prospects and rarely gets the decision. But against Roman’s knockdown in the first round, Chavez seemed to take over and dropped Roman later in the fight. He kept the momentum and won by split decision 74-76, 77-73 and 76-74.

Van Nuys Juan Funez (6-0-1, 2 Kos) remained undefeated after a fierce war with Hemet’s Fernando Fuentes (4-3) in a four round featherweight firefight. Neither fighter was close to being knocked down but Funez emerged with a majority decision.

Junior welterweight prospect Erick Bone, known for his speed and knockout power, found Mexico’s Mahonri Montes too tough in the early going. After unloaded a few blurring combinations that seemed to have no effect, the Equadorian used his speed of foot to control the fight.

The taller Montes showed a good chin in absorbing some furious blows, but never could catch up to Bones who circled the ring easily and fired impressive combinations to win by unanimous decision after 10 rounds. Judges scores were 97-93 twice and 100-94 for Bones.

L.A. heavyweight Avery Gibson (4-6-2) upset Washington D.C.’s Danny Kelly (6-1-1, 5 Kos) after six rounds of back and forth fighting. Gibson seemed to take control in the middle of the fight by using a jab. Kelly tired in the latter rounds and that gave the L.A. heavyweight the advantage in the score cards.

Las Vegas heavyweight Michael Hunter (6-0, 4 Kos) pounded out Detroit’s Harvey Jolly (15-21-1) in the fourth round. Jolly hit the deck several times.