Middleweight champion Sergio “Maravilla” Martinez signs new deal with DiBella Entertainment

Return to the ring slated for October 1

NEW YORK, NY (June 14, 2011) – On Tuesday afternoon in New York City, WBC Middleweight Diamond Champion and universally recognized top-3 pound for pound fighter, Sergio “Maravilla” Martinez (47-2-2, 26 KOs) signed a new multiyear, multimillion dollar deal that will keep his promotional interest with DiBella Entertainment (“DBE”) for the foreseeable future.

“This is an important day for DiBella Entertainment,” said DiBella. “Sergio Martinez has proved in his recent run of fights that is no challenge he fears and that there is no challenge he cannot conquer. Together, we will look to make the biggest fights against the biggest names in boxing and we won’t stop until ‘Maravilla’ is universally recognized as, pound for pound, the best in boxing.”

Martinez, 36, originally linked up with DBE in 2007 and has gone 7-1-1 over the span. The only blemishes on his record during that time were a close decision loss to Paul Williams in a fight widely heralded as the 2009 Fight of the Yea and a universally criticized draw versus former champion Kermit Cintron in 2009 in a bout where most people thought Martinez should’ve been awarded a knockout in round seven and then had done more than enough to win after 12 rounds.

After a victory over Kelly Pavlik in win the middleweight crowd in April, 2010 and a stirring second round knockout to avenge his loss to Williams in November, Martinez was named the 2010 Fighter of the Year.

Martinez began 2011 in a big way in March, stopping previously unbeaten Sergiy Dzinziruk in eight rounds.

“I’ve never had any doubt that DiBella Entertainment is the best promoter in boxing,” said Martinez. “I have no doubt that we will continue to do great things together. This is exactly what I wanted.”

Also in attendance at the signing, which took place at a local stationary store just a few blocks from DBE’s midtown headquarters, was Martinez’s longtime adviser, Sampson Lewkowicz.

“This is about finishing what we started,” said Lewkowicz. “I believe that in Sergio Martinez t we have a grand champion who is the best fighter in the world.’’

Martinez is scheduled to return to the ring October 1 on HBO against European middleweight champion Darren Barker (23-0, 14 KOs).

Comment on this article

COMMENTS

-the Roast :

OK, that's great. Now how bout we get Sergio a meaningful fight? The only Middleweight Champ aint getting any younger.


-admin :

y younger.


-Radam G :

Ditto the Roast! Yall musta' fo'got! Martinez is ancient. He should call out B-Hop, and quit hopewich serving everybodeee and dey momma about dancing with Money May or Da Manny. Holla!


-the Roast :

EM, talking about Sergio making money, Manny is the man that can bring the biggest check by far. I'm sure Sergio would meet Manny down at 154. He wants the money. I'd like to see Pacman take a shot at history and challenge Martinez at 160. At first glance, Sergio seems too big for Manny but with that hands down style I could imagine Pacman catching Sergio enough to outpoint or knock him out. Maybe not, maybe Sergio's speed and size would mean the weight class jumping Pacman has finally bitten off more than he can chew. It would be an edge of the seat night as we found out the answer. I still think that Oscar De La Hoya made his biggest mistake when he went down to fight Manny instead of going up to Middleweight to fight Jermain Taylor when JT was still the Champ. Oscar could have made history. Roy Jones too. After beating Ruiz he could have fought Holyfield or Tyson and then maybe Lewis. Nobody could say a bad word about Manny, Oscar or Roy if they went after the bigger men and went down in flames. Go for the glory. Make history!


-Joe :

Maybe he get that lightheavyweight JCCJr in the ring and give him a boxing lesson. Not saying it's a good matchup for JCCJr - but "if it makes dollars - it makes sense".


-miguel1 :

jcc jr is not really a huge draw, he is a huge name, but not a huge draw. At his last fight in LA the word was they had about 5000 tickets sold, and the rest were all comps. It was not a sellout at the staples center by any means. Additionally there is a large part of the mexican public that is critical of him, etc. Not only would Martine maul him, but he probably wouldnt get that big a lift from the fight, because folks would say, see i told you jcc jr was not all that.