SAN DIEGO-Chris Martin (20-0-2, 6 KO’s) kept his undefeated status at the Four Points by Sheraton Hotel in Kearny Mesa with a TKO win over Jose Luis Araiza (32-3, 23 KO’s) in the featherweight main event. The show, which was promoted by Golden Boy Promotions and Don Chargin in association with Jorge Marron and Bobby D Presents drew an estimated audience of about 800. The Telefutura network televised some of the fights as part of their “Solo Boxeo series.

In the first round, Araiza came out charging and seemed to get the better of the San Diegan who fought the opening stanza with caution. Hard straights to the body of Martin scored well for the Tecate, Mexico native who was aggressive throughout the bout.

It was another active round for Araiza in the second as he came forward and landed some nice over-hand rights. A hard over-hand by Araiza woke Martin up from his boredom as he suddenly picked up the pace and landed his own blistering combinations. Martin fought patiently as his superior size was starting to make a difference. Although Araiza was able to land, his punches weren’t having much effect on his physically bigger opponent.

Araiza came out strong in the third as he made it clear that he came to fight. He landed well but Martin countered even better as he finally started to take charge. Good boxing by Martin in the fourth as he targeted the body repeatedly. Araiza proved to be a brave sort who repeatedly took punishment but still came forward looking to score.

Martin took control again in the fifth but was repeatedly hit with Araiza’s over hand right. Martin countered nicely as he landed jabs, uppercuts and hooks that won him the round.

It was more of the same in the sixth as Martin started to dominate his opponent. Araiza, who refused to take a step back, continued pushing forward until the very last second of the round. It was a great start by Araiza as he landed some nice combos in the seventh. It was in the same round that Martin found his range and one of his left hooks dropped Araiza. He got up and the action heated up with both men exchanging in what was turning into a wild affair. It started off as Araiza’s round but ended up being Martin’s as he won the round convincingly with the knockdown.

Martin came out for the eighth round looking for the knockout as he attacked from all angles on his tiring foe. It was a shot to the body that finally ended the night for Araiza as the impact brought him to his knees. Referee Raul Caiz Sr. waved off the bout after examining the fallen warrior. Ring announcer Joe Martinez announced the time of the stoppage as 2:03 of the eighth round.

“I’m grading this performance a B. There are many things I could have done better but I’m always looking to improve, Martin said afterwards. “I want to take a nice long rest and come back soon to a bigger fight. I’d very interested in fighting Fernando Montiel.

Grajeda and Sanchez fight to controversial draw.

Luis Enrique Grajeda (11-0 8 KO’s) and Alan Sanchez (5-2-1, 2 KO’s) put on a great fight in a semi main event Welterweight bout.

Grajeda, a former Mexican Olympian from Chihuahua, was looking for a challenge and he got it from the Fairfield, California resident. The first round was pretty even as both men were in the “feeling out process mode but there was a feeling that things were going to get heated.

Sanchez became very active in the second round as Grajeda was looking for the chance to counter. Grajeda was a little too cautious sometimes as Sanchez kept steady with the work rate. He would sneak in and out and land a small flurry of punches every so often. It was during one of these flurries that a right uppercut dropped Grajeda. He quickly got up just as the bell rang.

The third round came and Grajeda seemed befuddled by the movement of Sanchez. He eventually scored with some effective combinations but Sanchez quickly regained control. It was at the end of the round that Grajeda did the most damage as he staggered Sanchez with a nice uppercut and left hook combination. He came out stalking in the fourth but was unable to close the distance as Sanchez darted in and out of his range.

Grajeda controlled the action in the fifth with his long jab as he landed some stiff shots that got Sanchez bleeding from the nose. The action slowed down in the sixth until Sanchez landed a straight right that dropped Grajeda for the second time in the fight.

There were more nice exchanges in the seventh with Sanchez’s face starting to look puffy around the eyes. Grajeda was staggered twice more before the bell rang.

It was desperation time for the much hyped prospect in the eighth as he seemed to be behind in the cards. He came forward and exchanged, eventually getting the better of Sanchez as he landed some thunderous shots to end the fight.

In the end, the scores were a 75-75 draw by all the judges across the board. A decision that dismayed the audience since it seemed clear that Sanchez won the fight by virtue of his two knockdowns. The decision earned a big hmm from most of the folks on press row.

Armenta stops Cruz

Super Featherweight Pablo Armenta (3-0-1, 1KO) defeated Alejandro Cruz (2-12-2, 2 KO’s) via fourth round stoppage after ring physician Dan Carusillo decided that the bleeding from Cruz’s ear was detrimental enough to stop the action. Armenta started well as he dropped Cruz in the first with a hook to the liver. Cruz hung tough for the rest of the fight as he had his moments but they weren’t enough to deal with Armenta’s precise left hooks to the body and head. It was in the fourth round that blood poured out of Cruz’s ear and got referee Jose Cobian’s attention who brought in the doctor to inspect the injury and waved off the fight.

Williams TKO’s Talamantes

Light heavyweight Lamont Williams (2-1, 1KO) defeated Raul Talamantes (0-3-0) in the opening bout o the evening. The stoppage came at 2:49 of the fourth round. Williams won every round easily against his game opponent.

Robles wins pro debut

Junior Welterweight Manuel Robles defeated Luis Sanchez with a 40-36 decision win on all cards.