Featherweight champ out of jail gets okay to defend crown
The troubled WBO featherweight champion, Scott Harrison, has been given a green light to defend his title next month against challenger Nicky Cook.
Ever since Harrison’s incarceration in a Spanish jail on October 6 on assault charges, the fight with Cook has been in doubt, but with his release from the hoosegow last week, the British Boxing Board of Control have given Scott their thumbs up for the bout to proceed.
According to the Times of London, BBBC’s general secretary Simon Block said, “Following consideration today of a number of medical reports received, boxer Scott Harrison has been cleared to proceed with his contest against Nicky Cook scheduled for the Excel Arena on Saturday, December 9.”
After a series of run-ins with the law, due to problems stemming from alcoholism and depression, Harrison left Scotland to train in Malaga, Spain, hoping to escape the distractions and headaches associated with his home country.
Once Harrison was arrested, promoter Frank Warren had no choice but to replace Harrison as headliner of his all-star bill in London’s Docklands with a fight involving Enzo Maccarinelli, the WBO cruiserweight champion. But Warren never lost hope.
“I said from day one I had a contract with him and the contract says if he is found medically fit to fight then I have an obligation to put the contest on, Warren said. He has had more tests and more stringent tests than probably any other boxer I have known.
“They (the WBO) have made it very clear that provided he is found fit to box under the British Boxing Board of Control terms, then the fight is on. Hopefully he won’t get himself into any more scrapes. Hopefully he moves forward and he has the opportunity to defend his title.”
Along with Warren, the undefeated Nicky Cook is thrilled that Harrison is free and that their fight will be going on as scheduled. “I’m delighted to hear that Harrison has been cleared to fight now, he said from his training camp in Tenerife. To be honest, I’ve trained up until now with the mindset that the fight has always been on.
“I’ve focused on nothing but Harrison since this fight was announced and now I’m just focused on winning the world title on the night. Everything is going well and I’m looking forward to fighting in front of a big home crowd and taking Harrison’s title off him.