WBO champion Scott Harrison released from Spanish jail
Scott Harrison, the troubled 29-year-old boxing champion from Cambuslang, near Glasgow, was freed from the Spanish prison where he was being held and will fly back to Scotland on Saturday.
According to The Daily Record, Harrison’s manager, Barry Hughes, paid more than $12,000 to have him released from the Malaga jail where has been since last month’s arrest on charges of grand theft auto and assaulting three people, including a pregnant woman and police officer.
Harrison was said to be “absolutely delighted” to be free at last and finally returning home.
Although Harrison’s WBO featherweight defense against Nicky Cook next month was called off on Thursday, promoter Frank Warren, the head of Sports Network, issued a plea with the British Boxing Board of Control in the hope that Harrison can retain his title.
Harrison’s manager said he believes being in jail will have helped Harrison, who has admitted drink and depression problems, and he was confident the champion would emerge from his ordeal stronger and wiser man. There are only two people who have never turned their backs on Scott Harrison me and his father. I have contacted the WBO who wanted to strip Scott of his title and pleaded with them for one last chance.”
“Scott is in good shape because he has been in prison where he can do no wrong, added Hughes. “His weight is good because he has not had the chance to eat much where he has been.”
The boxer will have a medical on Monday and resume training on Tuesday.