ONTARIO – Brazilian welterweight contender Antonio Mesquita overpowered Santos Pakau for the knockout victory. Then got roughed up by the referee.

Mesquita extended his unbeaten streak to 33 fights before a frustrated audience at the Hilton Hotel in Ontario. The fight was televised by ESPN but was held up for an hour because of a lack of a ringside physician.

Pakau began the fight using a jab and some quick combinations. Mesquita seemed stuck in mud while firing some clumsy right hands.

After a slow first round, Mesquita (33-0, 27 KOs) dropped Pakau with a one-two combination in the second round then proceeded to pressure the Spokane-based fighter for the next four stanzas. The overhand right did most of the damage for the Brazilian welterweight. Though Pakau had equal quickness, he just couldn’t match Mesquita’s power.

A double-overhand right hand dropped Pakau (27-3, 10 KOs) for the count in the eighth but he survived the round. Finally, a three punch combination by Mesquita had his opponent helpless and referee Jack Reiss jumped in between to stop the fight and inadvertently kneed the Brazilian’s thigh and down he went writhing in pain.

No matter, the fight was over for Pakau. Mesquita was declared the victor at 1:08 in the sixth round while twisting and turning on the floor from the injury. He was carried out of the ring by a friend and later was able to walk with a limp.

Luis Tapia, who manages Mesquita, said his protégé is ready for a world title shot.

“We want Antonio Margarito,” said Tapia, who trains Mesquita in Las Vegas. “Tony will fight him in a phone booth.”

Mesquita, 33, can’t wait for a big fight. But lucky for him, the welterweight division is loaded with talent. He should be able to pick up another marquee fight, perhaps on television.

In other bouts

Arkansas’s Sarah Goodson (20-15-1) captured an eight round unanimous decision against Sandra Ortiz (7-4-1) Kansas City in a strawweight contest. It was a rematch between the pair. Ortiz won the previous fight held in Kansas City.

Goodson couldn’t miss with the right hand. From round one through eight the Filipina fighter landed rights like clockwork on Ortiz.

The judges scored it 79-73, 78-74, 77-75 for Goodson.

Arizona’s Malcolm Tann (19-2, 11 KOs) scored a technical knock out over Riverside’s Derek Barry (12-6-2) at 1:02 in the third round of a heavyweight fight. Tann had problems with Barry’s slick defense, but simply overwhelmed him with punches. A right uppercut in the second round began the demise for Barry.

David Johnson (5-18-4) of Los Angeles scored a six round split-decision over Willie Chapman (20-26-3) in a heavyweight bout. Johnson has improved since suffering blowouts against Chris “The Nightmare” Arreola in one and two rounds several years ago.