WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko has been forced to postpone his April 30 title defense against Hasim Rahman. Klitschko injured his thigh while jogging, and as a result the fight has now been postponed.
Klitschko and Rahman had been scheduled to meet April 30 at New York's Madison Square Garden for Klitschko's World Boxing Council title.
Klitschko told German newspaper Bild: “The fight will be postponed until June.”
So, as it stands, the on again, off again showdown between Klitschko and the man some feel has the best chance to dethrone the Ukrainian giant is now off again.
Until recently, the making of the fight had looked tenuous as Rahman was unhappy at the purse being offered by promoter Don King. However, Rahman did finally sign, and he is taking this postponement in stride.
Speaking to ESPN, Rahman said, “I know that I'm the mandatory, so I'll be next.”
“As long as he can't fight anyone but me next it just gives me more time to be ready for him. He knows he has to come with his 'A' game with me. If he doesn't bring his 'A' game he might as well give me the title at the press conference. So what I'm going to do is continue to run and strength train and condition myself and whenever they set the date I'll already be in shape.”
Though a new date is being sought for June, it will depend on when HBO has an available date in its schedule. The Baltimore Sun has suggested June 18 as a realistic possibility.