Fight fans had the opportunity to give their long suffering significant others, or their wallets, a break from the sweet science this weekend, as the offerings were thin, with promoters comprehending that many folks are in end-of-summer mode. Its time to soak up some soon-to-be-scarce rays, frolic in in the sand and surf, the suits understand, before we head into the home stretch of 2010, a disappointing year in the life of the savage science to this point.
Diehards couldnt be lured away from their fix, however, and tuned in to see how the Pole Tomasz Adamek would fare against a man with a build approximately in the mold of the Brothers K. Adamek met Michael Grant, heavyweight contender from a decade past, currently off hiatus, in Newark, New Jersey on Saturday night, and TSS Universe seems to be of mixed feelings what the Adamek UD12 win really means.
The following are some standout post from our stellar roster of all-star commenters, weighing in on Adamek-Grant.
5) THE CLONE Pretty exciting fight, certainly one of the best fights of the year. Big size differential, exciting crowd, some good drama. Nice to see the heavyweights getting some more coverage. Michael The Alien Grant nearly got the KO in the 12th. He should have loaded up earlier and more often. He looked good but there was just too much rust. A good account of himself given the fact that hes been on the couch for the last decade. Good win for Adamek. Id like to see him in with Haye for what would essentially be the super-cruiserweight title. Grant will fight on. He certainly looked much better than Arreola has ever looked, so Grant is pretty much the top American heavyweight in the world.
4) THE SAINT More than anything I feel that Adamek took this fight just to get a feel of what its like to fight someone as big as the Klitschkos. I dont think that Adamek believes that beating Grant means he can beat the Klitschkos, but he just wanted to get a general feel of what it would be like to face someone that tall. Of course it will be a whole new ball game against the Klitschkos. They control space better than any heavyweight Ive ever seen.
3) JOE Kathy Duva and Main Events are doing a great job with Adamek. He should be in position (or close to) to challenge Haye, Vitali or Wladimir. He can fill an arena, hes a very good boxer and he isnt scared. Hell take the short money too for the shot. I cant wait. In the meantime he should go ahead a beat up on David Tua. Since hes cleaning up all the former heavyweight challengers. (Jameel McCline, Lance Whitaker, Lamon Brewster...if he just needs tall guys).
2) BROWN SUGAR Adamek is an honest pro, a hard worker, and a true warrior. If he had moved up at an earlier age, he might have had time to transform himself into a more durable and hard hitting heavyweight like Holyfield. But fighting against a slew of oversized heavyweights is only causing him to incur an extra measure of unnecessary damage. Id like to see him against Haye in the UK for a high profile and potentially winnable big name title-fight.
1) THE ROAST Not exactly the result Adamek was looking for. What cemetery did they dig up Grant from? Adamek didnt KO this china-chin zombie? Didnt even knock him down? You gotta be kidding. Adamek had better steer clear of the Klit Bros. He will take a trip to beatdown city where the grass is green and the girls are pretty. David Haye even picked up the phone after this one. How bad is Chris Arreola that he couldnt beat this guy? This is me jumping off the Adamek bandwagon with a loud thud.
Who will win #HOPKINSKOVALEV