Shane Mosley To Fight Sergio Mora In L.A. Sept. 18
Golden Boy Promotions Richard Schaefer said Wednesday that Sugar Shane Mosley (46-6, 39 KOs) and Sergio Mora (22-1-1, 6 KOs) have agreed to terms and will fight on Sept. 18 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.
Pomona?s Mosley, who recently fought at welterweight and a world champion in three weight divisions, is moving back up to junior middleweight to fight Mora who is currently fighting at middleweight.
Mora, from East L.A., will drop back down to the 154-pound weight division where he formerly was the WBC junior middleweight titleholder in 2008.
?I?m excited about this fight,? said Mora, who was scheduled to fight on July 23, at Pechanga Resort and Casino. ?I want the name fights and they don?t come bigger than Shane Mosley.?
According to Schaefer, part of the agreement was for Mora to not fight at Pechanga. Mosley was fearful that a cut or accident could force a cancellation of the Sept. 18 fight and he did not want to experience a cancellation again. Earlier in the year a fight against WBC welterweight titleholder Andre Berto suffered a cancellation due to the earthquake in Haiti. Luckily, Mosley was then able to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr. whose fight against Manny Pacquiao was scrapped over testing procedures.
Mora, recently signed with Golden Boy Promotions and had his first fight for the L.A. based promotion company last April when he stopped Calvin Green in the seventh round in Las Vegas. He was scheduled to fight JC Candelo in three weeks and was preparing for that fight.
?This is going to be a great fight,? Mora said. ?Fans are going to see a lot of speed and a lot of guts. I know Shane and he comes to fight. I?m coming to fight hard on Mexican Independence Day.?
Schaefer said the fight will be shown on pay-per-view. Also on the card will be Saul ?Canelo? Alvarez and possibly Daniel Ponce De Leon and Victor Ortiz.