Boxing News: Fernando Vargas Returns to Battle in Chicago
Two-time junior welterweight champion Fernando “El Feroz” Vargas returns to action in a card called “Return to Battle” at Chicago’s Allstate Arena on August 20.
Speaking from the War Zone Boxing Gym in Riverside, California after a blistering sparring session, Fernando Vargas talked about his upcoming trip to Chicago.
"I can't wait to get there. Both my trips this year for the Cinco De Mayo parade in May and the kickoff press conference in June were great experiences. Chicago is a beautiful city and the people there have shown me a great deal of love. I'm coming in early and I'm going to enjoy all that the city has offer, but come fight night I'll be more then ready to put on a world class performance.”
Regarding his training camp, the former two-time junior middleweight champion said "It's been going great. I'm learning a great deal with my new trainer Danny Smith, and I can't wait to use these new skills against Javier Castillejo on August 20th at the Allstate Arena in Chicago. My back feels fine. I'm on track to hit 154 with no problem."
El Feroz also wanted to make it known exactly why this fight is taking place in Chicago.
"I was in Chicago a couple of years ago to see my 1996 Olympic teammate David Diaz fight and since then fans have gone to my website asking me to come and fight there. This fight is for them,” Vargas said, “for everyone who can't make it to Vegas to see me fight. I'm coming to Chicago to fight for them on August 20th.
"It's going to be a great night in Chicago with Rocky Juarez and David Diaz on the huge undercard. This is going to be a memorable evening.”
Tickets for “Return to Battle” on August 20 at the Allstate Arena start at $27. Order by calling 312-559-1212 or go to www.ticketmaster.com.